Author Topic: Kinesis UK (crap)  (Read 2218 times)

Re: Kinesis UK (crap)
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2020, 07:10:21 pm »
The Aitheins are incredibly light. 

Anyone remember those aluminium superlight Pantani era Bianchis that invariably cracked?

Yes, it’s light, fast and surprisingly comfortable. I presume that there is some margin in the weight limit and I give it 10kgs in the downward direction, but it makes you wonder whether the weight limit is related to long term durability or the 3 year warranty period - or if Kinesis think that 3 years in long term durability. Disposability strikes again?

Interesting to see that there is a specific FAQ on the Kinesis website about what to do if a frame cracks - including mention of proof of purchase etc.

« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2020, 08:12:31 pm »
I had a Bianchi XL EV2 Pantani replica. Downtube cracked after two years. Light as a feather and built not to last.

« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2020, 11:37:25 pm »
Sometimes people forget that high performance always comes at a price.

« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2020, 08:22:54 pm »
Saw this on another forum.  The square hole is basically the same as the ADF roof window on a de Havilland Comet, and is crap design.  Also, Kinesis have form for this sort of thing.  One of their forks killed someone a few years ago and they tried to recall all the similar ones.
And Darkness and Decay and the Coronavirus held illimitable dominion over all.

« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2020, 09:06:34 pm »
Square hole ?   Good god. Do people never learn ?
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2020, 08:23:44 am »
Saw this on another forum.  The square hole is basically the same as the ADF roof window on a de Havilland Comet, and is crap design.  Also, Kinesis have form for this sort of thing.  One of their forks killed someone a few years ago and they tried to recall all the similar ones.

:o

The crack clearly extends from the corner of the hole.

Awful, awful design.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2020, 10:51:57 am »
I don't know the hole in question but is it also not cheaper and easier to drill holes using a drill bit which, last time I checked produced round holes?
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2020, 11:08:08 am »
The cable enters at an angle, so if you had a small round hole, you would prob have to make it an oval, with a grommet.

That would be more expensive than having milling machinery cut four slits to make a rectangle.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2020, 11:33:37 am »

Seems to show rounded corners.
 Maybe the hole is too big. Or the reinforecment is too thin, or it should cover a bigger area.

« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2020, 11:46:39 am »
Underneath the black entry point plate there is nothing but a hole. The black plate is merely a guide for the cable. I'll put more pics up when I strip the bike down before my new one arrives (not kinesis)
Mind of a cyclist, body of a dart player.

« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2020, 11:54:31 am »
Not rounded enough, going by eye alone.  It might be ok in a good crack-stopping composite but not in thin metal.
And Darkness and Decay and the Coronavirus held illimitable dominion over all.