Author Topic: Cape Wrath Fellowship in the Guardian today  (Read 533 times)

Re: Cape Wrath Fellowship in the Guardian today
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2020, 12:34:35 pm »
I rode there in 2000, the road was in poor shape then.  I don't remember a cafe at the lighthouse though. 
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Porkins

• Formerly Nick H. And a long time ago etc, Eurostar
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2020, 12:43:15 pm »

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2020, 04:51:53 pm »
A mate and I rode Dover-Cape Wrath in '94, the same year that I ran the London marathon.

I was fit once :-)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2020, 10:01:58 pm »
Cape Wrath has been on my to do list for nearly two decades. I suspect there are a fair few cyclists who’ll want to go to remoter places once travelling is feasible. That ferry might be quite busy over the next year or so.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2020, 04:02:10 pm »
I planned to ride there while touring in the Highlands about 20 years ago. Unfortunately, on the day I arrived the guy who runs the "ferry" (a small motor launch) was going home early to take his wife somewhere or other, so I could have got to Cape Wrath but there wouldn't be a boat to bring me back the same day.

I thought about waiting until the next day, overnighting in nearby Durness - until I got there  :facepalm:
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

Wowbagger

• Dez's butler
    • Musings of a Gentleman Cyclist
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2020, 04:16:43 pm »
I deliberately planned two overnight stays in the Durness youth hostel when I cycled there. The first day was too windy and the ferry didn't operate.

I didn't know about the Cape Wrath Fellowship and I do qualify as it states that you have to cycle from the ferry to the Cape, which I did. I couldn't be arsed to cycle back again and got a lift in a minibus, driven by a very large bekilted guide with a lovely Wimbledon accent.

I'll have a ride report somewhere...

Edit: Here! https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=47084.msg1013811#msg1013811

A propos my one-day pal in the photos in the above report, when we cycled to Cromarty together from Dingwall, I recalled that her name was Naomi and she was a lecturer at Aberystwyth Uni. I tracked her down and we've made friends on facebook.

She's no longer at Aber Uni, having left academia totally disillusioned and depressed by the state of it (she was expressing those opinions, although less forcefully, 9 years ago). She now runs a bunk house in Borth. At the moment, of course, she can't open because fo COVID and isn't sure what the future holds. But it crossed my mind that it would be a great place to stay. It's about 30 yards from Borth station, and about 100 yards from the beach.
Eating's a serious business. Don't bollocks around wagging your tail.

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2020, 07:03:28 pm »
We were thwarted by the Royal Air Force on our attempt.  We had arrived at Durness and camped overnight only for the RAF to decide to use the area as a test range.  We waited a day but the same thing happened.  We had to leave then, unfortunately.

Always meant to try again but it never happened.  Not likely to now as I no longer cycle.