Author Topic: Thru Axle Dyno Hub  (Read 416 times)

Thru Axle Dyno Hub
« on: June 23, 2020, 09:11:01 am »
I've recently bought a new bike (OR 2) which has Thru axle hubs, my old wheels were QR as was my Shimano DH-3D37 hub. I'd still like to have a dyno wheel so came across this at Spa https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m2b0s133p3775/SP-DYNAMO-PL-8X-Thru-Axle-Centre-Lock

Any other suitable ones?
Mind of a cyclist, body of a dart player.

Re: Thru Axle Dyno Hub
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2020, 09:17:16 am »
I have recently ordered wheels from hunt that use a son Dynamo hub with a thru axle. Not arrived yet so can’t comment further.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2020, 09:27:31 am »
I think that Son dona through axle hub, but the SP are more affordable and work.

Mike

Dave_C

• Trying to get rid of my belly... and failing!
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2020, 10:24:15 am »
Changing standards can be a pita, having to upgrade everything just because your frame and forks have changed.

I'd personally be looking at a local engineering co to produce some steel inserts, milked to fit the forks and frame.

Good luck with your hunt.

Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk

@DaveCrampton < wot a twit.
http://veloviewer.com/athlete/421683/

Cudzoziemiec

• Eating all the pies and drinking all the tea.
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2020, 10:59:01 am »
I've got an SON for thru-axle and I'm very pleased with it. At the time it was the only dynamo hub available for 12mm thru-axles. Mind you, I'm also very happy with my SP hub on QR wheels and if I were looking for one now, I'd probably go for that on the grounds of price.
Days become simply the spaces between dreams, spaces between the shifting floors of time...

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2020, 11:51:16 am »
SON, SP and Shimano are all making 12mm thru axle dynohubs, apparently the newest Shimano one scores well in testing.
SON Delux12
SP PL-8X
Shimano DH-UR705-3D - https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/product/component/deorext-t8000/DH-UR705-3D.html (Note that it's both XT and Alfine)

There's also Thur-Axle versions of the SON 28, mostly MTB 15mm and 15mm boost, but there is also a 12mm one; the winding is more suited to slower wheel rotation and so more draggy.

I'd personally be looking at a local engineering co to produce some steel inserts, milked to fit the forks and frame.

The extra advantage of the 12mm thu-axle sizing (unless it's MTB plus  ::-)) front and back gives is that you can use QR adapters if you do want to use them on a QR bike.

For the front it's usually just an axle that takes a QR skewer.
Example: https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/dynamos/schmidt-axle-adapter-12-mm-to-qr-9-mm/

For the Rear wheels  there's usually a set of changeable cups that sit in the axle end that allow the wheel to be either 135x9 or 142x12 these adapters are unsurprizingly hub specific.
Example: https://www.evanscycles.com/mavic-instant-drive-360-rear-wheel-qr-axle-adapters-6-bolt-EV287247

The only reason for the extra length on the rear 142x12 is to allow the drop out to include recessed guides to make fitting the wheel easy, somehow some frame manufacturers royally cock their side of the deal up and the guide doesn't help the wheel slide in.
I find forks are most likely to not help you position the wheel resulting in the need for 3 hands, 1 to hold the bike up, 1 to hold the wheel in place and 1 to slide the axle in; thankfully the first can be deal with using a shoulder or oxter.

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2020, 01:56:47 pm »
It seems to be choice between expensive Son or the cheaper SP then.

I wonder if when choosing my 2nd bike to just order a Alu framed Ultergra model for £1300 with QR fork or choose the carbon 105 @ £1600 with thru-axle. Alu frame model would save the hassle and expense i suppose and i could still run my dyno wheel.

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2020, 02:08:58 pm »
There’s a company KT that makes a variant of the SP Dynamo with interchangeable end caps. But the only way to get one in the UK is on a Pinnacle Arkose or as a spare part for one.

velosam

• '.....you used to be an apple on a stick.'
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2020, 09:53:06 am »

I wonder if when choosing my 2nd bike to just order a Alu framed Ultergra model for £1300 with QR fork or choose the carbon 105 @ £1600 with thru-axle. Alu frame model would save the hassle and expense i suppose and i could still run my dyno wheel.

What's wrong with the shimano hub?

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2020, 10:21:13 am »

What's wrong with the shimano hub?

It's now sold.