Author Topic: Double chaninsets for touring- what are the cool kids using?  (Read 1105 times)

Re: Double chaninsets for touring- what are the cool kids using?
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2020, 10:54:36 pm »
I currently have 48-30 with an 11-34 cassette. Works ok, except for the slightly bent spider. It's an old triple, I don't use the outer position.

I've found a 26-tooth inner for my full-on-nineties-but-still-nice chainset, and I reckon I'll swap to 44-26. It should make the big ring more usable overall, leaving the inner for the hills. The front mech may or may not work, but I need a new front mech anyway.

« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2020, 11:05:44 pm »
My first 20 or so 200 km Audax rides were on my tourer with a triple but I started to think I needed something more cool for a "Audax" bike and the builder gave me the "doubles can cover the same range as triples" line. Got a 46/30 double & 11-36 cassette but maths told me I lost a couple of low gears over the triple but worst of all I found the most used gears were always across the rings and I was always shifting between them. After a miserable year I replaced the double with the same setup as my tourer (24-36-48 & 12-36) and can again spend most of a day just using the middle ring but with a few extra low gears on the small ring for those bigger climbs and a couple of higher gears on the big ring for those very rare down hill pedalling needs. If I really need to be cool (or perhaps odd) I can use the RH 10 speed Ultegra shifter from the double days with a 10 speed cassette all with the same rear derailleur as the 9 speed SORA incarnation.

« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2020, 11:21:56 pm »
I am hoping, soon, to swap to a GRX chainset. The main downside I can see is that you can't use a double with the long cage rear mech, thus you are restricted to the 11-34 cassette at the rear, whereas if you go 1X you can use the 11-42.

I'm running 46-30 x 11-42 with a long cage mech. It works fine. That bike has Di2 which prevents shifting to small-small, although it wouldn't do any harm if you did and the chain went a bit slack.

My "touring" bike" uses an MTB triple 44-32-22 and 11-32 cassette. I am definitely not a cool kid.

« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2020, 11:27:49 pm »
Given that you're using friction shifters I'd thing again before dismissing the triple option.  The Spa Cycles XD-2 48/38/28 is a capable and lightweight chainset at a bargain price:  https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m2b0s109p2000/SPA-CYCLES-XD-2-Touring-Triple-Chainset
Most of the stuff I say is true because I saw it in a dream and I don't have the presence of mind to make up lies when I'm asleep.   Bryan Andreas

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2020, 11:48:55 pm »
46/30 chainsets are an established thing now.  The Shimano GRX double chainsets should fit your bill nicely.

Someone is selling one of these in the forum classifieds right now.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2020, 08:52:48 am »
I am hoping, soon, to swap to a GRX chainset. The main downside I can see is that you can't use a double with the long cage rear mech, thus you are restricted to the 11-34 cassette at the rear, whereas if you go 1X you can use the 11-42.

I'm running 46-30 x 11-42 with a long cage mech. It works fine. That bike has Di2 which prevents shifting to small-small, although it wouldn't do any harm if you did and the chain went a bit slack.

My "touring" bike" uses an MTB triple 44-32-22 and 11-32 cassette. I am definitely not a cool kid.

Thank you, I like real world experience, much better than relying on Shimano...

Going back (ish) on topic, and to repay your experience with some of mine, I ran until about 5 years ago a On-one Inbred 29er set up as a tourer.  The chainset was a MTB one (Raceface Evolce IIRC) with 22-32-44 (I think) and a 11-28 cassette.  All the mechs and shifters were 6603.  The front mech took some fettling to get it to work but once I had it dialled in it worked for many many miles across the UK and Catalonia.  Then I got lazy and bought a soot gravel bike :)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2020, 09:23:16 am »
The thing is, if it's a light tourer why have a triple? I used to think they were the bees knees but no longer.. They were a thing with 5 and 6 speed cassettes, but now?

On my heavy tourer I have a triple which I need if lugging 20kg up the Galibier) r. On the Touristique, it cycling around N. Yorks, a 16 speed double is very nice. Early this year I was doing club rides with riders with tons more cogs but had little trouble.

I'd like to reduce my Roberts to a double when opportunity arrives. Triple shifting is a needless complication. .

We are of course, all different!
Sic transit and all that..

« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2020, 07:12:25 pm »
re GRX chainsets, shimano make both 2x10 and 2x11 models with (in some cases) the same chainring sizes.  The 2x10 model is "quite a lot less expensive" than the 2x11 model, yet cannot differ (in the big chainrings which have different pns) by more than a fraction of a mm because of the difference in chain widths.  I have hypothesised that the 2x10 model will work fine with 11s chain but (as yet) have no practical experience of this.

cheers

« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2020, 10:52:05 pm »
As  I said,  a light tourer  is what's being built. I don't really need a triple as it's not going to be used for
 duty  touring; I have a bike for that.
Yes , I ve seen the GRX chainsets and have Spa chainsets in mind.

« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2020, 08:12:56 am »
A handy article on everything you already know about bike gears.

https://road.cc/content/feature/beginners-guide-understanding-bicycle-gears-171317
Sic transit and all that..

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2020, 08:40:50 am »
I don't normally need the triple's granny gear (47/36/24 x 11-30, 8 speed) on my Holdsworth, but it's there for extreme angles of ascent (eg: up to King's YH in the BCM) and fatigue at silly o'clock, somewhere slightly lumpy. The weight penalty of a 24t ring and a bit extra on the crank must be minimal. And the front shifts are much less extreme than a wide range double, plus it all works perfectly with down tube levers - I don't think indexed STI triple levers were ever very slick or reliable. My experience of indexed doubles isn't all that great - my 53/39 on the road bike needs a bit of willpower and force to get a good up-shift, likewise son's 50/34.

Matches the un-cool saddlebag, mudguards, sandals etc. There's nothing so uncool as caring if you're cool, to misquote Andy Warhol.

« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2020, 11:15:58 am »
I’ve got 50/34 and 13-40 (or 42) in 10 speed on one bike. Although happy, the big ring works for most everything and the little only occasionally. I have considered alternatives such as 46/33 or moving it to 11 speed with some other bits, but haven’t got there yet. I’ve also got 50/34 and 13-32 on another that seems very nice - occasionally spin out downhill, but close ratios and low enough with a rack pack.

« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2020, 08:45:05 am »
Indurain had a triple on for a stage in, I think, the Vuelta. There’s no way he isn’t cool!!

The bike I’m currently riding when I go outside is a race frame , but running a triple. The reason for this that, as I get older, I know I’m dropping cadence, especially on climbs. Using the little chainring I can work on keeping the cadence high.  I’ve still got my usual range of gears available for most of the ride.