Author Topic: Bibshorts with Assos quality chamois pad, but lycra that is a lot more durable ?  (Read 1541 times)

I am a long term user of Endura FS260 pro but recently decided to try some Ale' shorts after Mrs M. purchased some and said they were good.
The style that I bought was the Epica which is described as "athletic fit" . The lycra is really summer weight, the front is quite low cut and the pad seems bulky off the bike but is very comfortable on the bike. I'm 6' and 95kg so not "atheletic" but they fit o.k.
I wore them for a 60 mile ride at the weekend and they were as good as the Endura shorts. The reason that I wanted a change from Endura is that I often find that the stitching holding the chamois in place goes long before any other part of the garment.

Dave_C

• Trying to get rid of my belly... and failing!
Thank you to those who suggested Endura FS260 Pro shorts.

I tried these (Endura FS260 Pro Bibshorts) this evening and they were great. Admittedly my old Perl Izumi are 6 years old, but these were very comfortable*.

Dave C

* Fri I rode on my thin Selle San Marco and was sore, so swapped to a Brooks B17. Lastnight I pushed the saddle forward a little.

Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk

@DaveCrampton < wot a twit.
http://veloviewer.com/athlete/421683/

I am a long term user of Endura FS260 pro but recently decided to try some Ale' shorts after Mrs M. purchased some and said they were good.
The style that I bought was the Epica which is described as "athletic fit" . The lycra is really summer weight, the front is quite low cut and the pad seems bulky off the bike but is very comfortable on the bike. I'm 6' and 95kg so not "atheletic" but they fit o.k.
I wore them for a 60 mile ride at the weekend and they were as good as the Endura shorts. The reason that I wanted a change from Endura is that I often find that the stitching holding the chamois in place goes long before any other part of the garment.

Yeah the endura lycra is pretty rugged. I find on longer distance rides they get less and less comfy but bums are all unique and one mans sofa is anothers hatchet.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
ive also had endura fs260 pro but found them to be pretty poor fitting and the pad aint great either.

Guess it goes to show how personal these things are - I've been extremely happy with mine and find the fit just about perfect.

Mind you, I used to have another pair of Endura shorts that I couldn't stand - felt like wearing a nappy.  :sick:

I have to agree with the fs260 shorts anti camp
I got two pairs the year they first made them (2005? 2006?) and they were great

When I got some more they'd changed them and they were shite

Still have the one of the original fs260 bib shorts, still ok

Using La Passion shorts now
Audaxing Blog follow @vorsprungbike on

ive also had endura fs260 pro but found them to be pretty poor fitting and the pad aint great either.

Guess it goes to show how personal these things are - I've been extremely happy with mine and find the fit just about perfect.

Mind you, I used to have another pair of Endura shorts that I couldn't stand - felt like wearing a nappy.  :sick:

I have to agree with the fs260 shorts anti camp
I got two pairs the year they first made them (2005? 2006?) and they were great

When I got some more they'd changed them and they were shite

Still have the one of the original fs260 bib shorts, still ok

Using La Passion shorts now

What is it that bugs you with the newer fs260 bibs ?

When I put on my assos bibs its like they almost disappear and the pad is so good I literally forget Im wearing them, such a pity the  lycra is ming china vase fragile.  With my fs260 bibs, they start out ok, but after about 45 miles I really start to notice them. Unlike the assos where the pad literally disappears under me, with the fs260 its like they lose their cushioning  effect as the ride progresses and after about 50 miles I end up with a right sore arse, any of this similar to your experience with newer fs260 bibs ?

They changed the shorts (Endura FS260 shorts, not bib shorts) in 2017 (I bought my first pair in 2016 and another in early 2017 and they were different).  But the pad remained the same.  I bought another last year and they were identical to the 2017 ones.

Everyone is different so this means nothing for everyone else, but I wore them on IndyPac in 2017.  I'd meant to take a spare pair but forgot them, so wore them for over 4,000km in 14 days with no discomfort. 

JonB

• Granny Ring ... Yes Please!
I've had three pairs of Endura FS-260. One pair are retired and more recently I've started using the other two pairs as my 'go-to shorts but this could be a function of doing shorter rides. In recent years I've had the Rapha Brevet shorts and a pair of Castellis. The Rapha ones are okay but the mesh bibs are not very flexible and they're not easy to get on and off (fine on the bike), I have also noticed the stiching has started to go on the pad but I'm sure they'll be fine for a bit.  The pad is better on longer rides but not sure if the Endura are better for overall comfort. The Castellis are good but I've seen a few transparent pairs on the road so I do wonder how much life they will give me. I am thinking of giving the Endura SL-Pro a try but you have to select a pad size (I think I'm medium), having said that I've probably got enough for the time being  :)

I’d say Castelli Rosso Corsa Superleggera, because they seem to be made of witch craft, and are unbelievably comfortable, however they are not durable, I got a rip in the shorts part after a couple of 100 mile rides, and they cost me nearly 200 quid. However the next ones down in the hierarchy ( I forget the name ) I think it’s free aero race 4, have proven to be far more durable, and very nearly as comfy.
Loving life with a beautiful Bianchi.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing

What is it that bugs you with the newer fs260 bibs?

When I put on my Assos bibs it's like they almost disappear and the pad is so good I literally forget I'm wearing them, such a pity the lycra is ming china vase fragile.  With my fs260 bibs, they start out ok, but after about 45 miles I really start to notice them. Unlike the Assos where the pad literally disappears under me, with the fs260 it's like they lose their cushioning effect as the ride progresses and after about 50 miles I end up with a right sore arse, any of this similar to your experience with newer fs260 bibs?

I am not fussy about padding and have ridden before without.  On the Irish Mail 400 in 2009 I forgot my shorts(!) and wore my unpadded Gore long tights for the entire ride

The way I look at it is that the pad (on the version of fs260 I have) is too thick

It pads ok but after a bit of riding, especially on a nice warm day it turns into a sweaty sponge, the pad doesn't wick particularly well

Lack of wicking and wetness is a big contributor to sores and discomfort

Audaxing Blog follow @vorsprungbike on

I don't count myself an expert on these matters, being a frugal type of person I baulk at spending lots on cycling gear, have spent a good few years in the mid range Wiggle brand but I got a pair of Castelli LW (Light Weight/Winter) bibtights 2 winters ago and they were so good I got another. They are pretty close to all round perfect, both  very comfortable and reasonable price at the time from Merlin (UK) as they were an end of line "special edition", red, white, blue, green panels on lower legs make me look like a superman suit but I don't have to look at it. They are good for cool/cold or wet days, I get hot with too much clothing but they are ok as long as it doesn't get too warm/sunny , haven't tried them in really cold yet but they should be ok. Means I have no excuse for not going out in the cold / wet now.  https://st3.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/2163981462?profile=original

On the basis of those I got a couple of pairs of the endurance bibshort (one from merlin, one from elsewhere), same Progotto pad etc, ok but not as perfect as the LWs and they have an annoying leg gripper curl up problem , I still use them as I don't care about looking a bit (more) dorkish.

Also a pair of the Premio bibshorts, annoyed as I asked the store and castelli if the same sizing was appropriate (as the premio are "race cut"), they said yes but my body says NO, another size up would have been much better but they feel ok enough so I am keeping them in the bottom draw for when I lose another couple of kilos and get my "race cut" body (that's going to happen isn't it!)

All were less than half price (premios about one third) so I can't complain too much. Wouldn't have paid full price though.

215 kms is longest ride on which I have used them, hopefully longer this year

I am 180cms tall and 72 kilos, the LWs are extra large (XL) !, one of the endurance is XL, the other XXL !! (but maybe better fit, it came in a XL packaging so lucky store mistake?) The premio is XL but XXL would have been much better. The LW tights are used mostly in winter and endurance for summer and all seem durable so far. So I am a big Castelli fan but dread having to pay full price to replace any.