Author Topic: Headset  (Read 488 times)

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
Headset
« on: July 24, 2020, 09:41:50 pm »
It seems I need a a headset for WFH and the offerings from the likes of Orbit, Cane Creek, Hope, ect, ect, are apparently not considered appropriate, chiz.

So what does the panel recommend for lapdog devices? Bear in mind I'm a superannuated overpaid drone of the gubbinsment so money is not no object (50 squids or so was mentioned).

Kim

• Timelord
Re: Headset
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2020, 10:24:35 pm »
Something with 'Plantronics' written on it would likely be a good bet.
Careful, Kim. Your sarcasm's showing...

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2020, 10:31:37 pm »
Yep, everyone I know on the WFH planet is using Plantroncs.

FWIW, my mothership-supplied one is a 'Blackwire C520-M', and seems fine.

It's USB, and presents as it's own sound card.
On Windows, obv. If you are going off-piste OS-wise, then you'll be writing your own drivers, obviously.

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2020, 11:17:18 pm »
I've had a Jabra Evolve 40 headset for a few months and it's great.  They do stereo and mono versions so watch the adverts carefully.  Also cheaper models in the range. I was drawn to this one by the complete unavailability of cheaper models at the time....  Quality is good.  USB-C connection, but also has a 3.5mm jack so can plug into suitable phones too.

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2020, 09:03:11 am »
I do t generally wfh but use a headset for dictation several hours a day. I use A Jabra 9470 which is a noise cancelling headset which is ideal for voice recognition. I also age another jabra. Delighted with them.

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2020, 11:39:18 am »
I've been using this Sennheiser USB stereo headset for a year and its been great. Not brilliant for music but does well with video conferencing.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005HWEZGG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

Has some noise cancellation in the mic. Just works with Windows and Linux no drivers to install. Nice and light.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2020, 12:44:32 pm »
I borrowed Mrs P's Plantronics doodah and it Just Worked on my lapdog connected to my work's gubbins.

ian

• feat. Undead Jess & Finestre, Queen of Hell
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2020, 09:27:14 am »
Plantronics is what the mothership issue, but I don't use it, I just talk at the computer (the internal mike on a Macbook seems plenty good enough to pick me up as I slouch back in my office chair. One fewer noose.
Support the Great Surrey Bear Census 2020

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2020, 09:41:44 am »
I have always found that Plantronics kit just does the job and does it well but I would and do prefer to use my lovely B&O Beoplay bluetooth headphones with built in mic.

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2020, 10:29:06 am »
Thanks all. A Plantronics model has been ordered.

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2020, 10:30:25 am »
...I just talk at the computer...

I've tried that. People have been moaning about hearing echoes of their voices.

ian

• feat. Undead Jess & Finestre, Queen of Hell
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2020, 11:51:04 am »
I did always wonder how that worked, but I assume Macs have some tech-gubbins in the same way as phones and tablets have, so they don't pick up the sound from the speaker.

Anyway, it doesn't echo on Teams or Webex. I can even get up and wander around and keep talking (obviously if I don't go too far, shouting from the toilet would be wrong).

I am periodically horrified, when the sun is at the right angle, at the state of my spittle-spattered screen though. Ugh, isopropyl alcohol, nurse, stat!
Support the Great Surrey Bear Census 2020

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2020, 12:12:12 pm »
Teams seems to be noise cancelling most of the time (the web browser my employer made us use for a while is more hit and miss than the full Application versions). I've got an old Bluetooth speaker, and a Zoom H2n Audio recorder set up for my conferences. The only problems that set up has is that the mic on the Zoom is designed for room recording, and has auto gain, so if I'm not on mute and everything goes quiet, it'll pick the ticking office clock, or more embarrassingly, the dog snoring on the landing outside.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2020, 12:41:26 pm »
I just use a pair of iPhone headphones.

My laptop headphones socket also takes the microphone signal. Comfy for all day use and no complaints from anyone I'm on calls with. When I finish the call I can just switch to the Spotify browser tab and slap on the music without having to change anything.

If I need to wander around (make coffee, hoover, lie on the sofa, etc) when on a call then I use the (Webex) app on my work phone and use the same headphones there.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2020, 01:42:24 pm »
I just talk at the computer

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/hShY6xZWVGE&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/hShY6xZWVGE&rel=1</a>
https://youtu.be/hShY6xZWVGE
Careful, Kim. Your sarcasm's showing...

« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2020, 01:56:43 pm »
Ha, knew exactly what clip that would be before I looked at it.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."