General Category > Freewheeling

Meaning of road closure signs?

(1/11) > >>

Kim:
I had a chat with a man in orange hi-vis this afternoon, as I was thwarted by an extremely closed road (damn you HS2).  I explained that, as a cyclist, it's usually worth continuing past road closed signs to have a look, because the majority of the time you can wheel your bike past the obstruction.  He told me that "ROAD CLOSED" just means to motor vehicles, and the "NO THROUGH ROAD" sign means it's blocked for everyone.

I'd never heard of that before.  I always assumed that the white on red "NO THROUGH ROAD" sign was just a temporary version of *googles* the Diagram 816 one, which is clearly for vehicular traffic (with an optional exception for cyclists), not pedestrians.

Can anyone provide a reference?  Google is failing me...

grams:
The only they-really-mean-it CLOSED road I've encountered is this one, also for HS2:
https://goo.gl/maps/NW1R6R5xMRCgfVwu5

It's been obliterated under a construction site for ~10 years. Still has the normal ROAD CLOSED sign.

I've also noticed that many closed roads would be passable by a commonplace four-wheeled horseless carriage as often they've only dug up a small bit of the road.

Paul H:
My understanding is that the signs mean pretty much what they say and that Road Closed means from that point and No Through means the road is still open up until it becomes Road Closed.
They're all pretty ambiguous, somewhere there should be a notice of the order that granted the closure.  When you apply for one you have to specify who it applies to.  You then have to employ an approved traffic management company to organise diversions and consult with stakeholders. If the temporary order applies to pedestrians and/or cyclists then the same applies and diversions have to be provided for them. You're not going to include them unless you have to, so orders are usually for vehicles which the legislation defines as motor vehicles.  My experience with this is dated, it's also for closing roads for events rather than roadworks, but it was the same forms and I'm pretty sure the same regulation. 

Kim:
It really would make life easier if there *was* an 'including pedestrians' variant of the "ROAD CLOSED" sign, assuming that people used it consistently.

dme:

--- Quote from: grams on August 26, 2020, 11:09:11 pm ---The only they-really-mean-it CLOSED road I've encountered is this one, also for HS2:
https://goo.gl/maps/NW1R6R5xMRCgfVwu5

It's been obliterated under a construction site for ~10 years. Still has the normal ROAD CLOSED sign.

--- End quote ---

I'm not sure that it's quite that long. I did lift both myself and bike over two 2m fences up there when they first started, but have mostly given up now and go around.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version