Author Topic: How high is Mount Everest?  (Read 1311 times)

Re: How high is Mount Everest?
« Reply #50 on: September 14, 2020, 08:15:30 am »
How far is it from the top of Everest to the sky?
Sic transit and all that..

Cudzoziemiec

• Eating all the pies and drinking all the tea.
« Reply #51 on: September 14, 2020, 08:52:28 am »
Jimi Hendrix was 1.8m tall. When he recorded the line "Excuse me while I kiss the sky" he was in De Lane Lea studio in Soho, London, which seems to be at an altitude of 19m. We can therefore safely assume the sky begins at 20.8m, well below the summit of Mount Everest.

HTH
Days become simply the spaces between dreams, spaces between the shifting floors of time...

Tim Hall

• I want to eat the fleeting shade of your lashes
« Reply #52 on: September 14, 2020, 09:38:23 am »
Jimi Hendrix was 1.8m tall. When he recorded the line "Excuse me while I kiss the sky" he was in De Lane Lea studio in Soho, London, which seems to be at an altitude of 19m. We can therefore safely assume the sky begins at 20.8m, well below the summit of Mount Everest.

HTH
We need more data points. Valentina Tereshkova, first woman in space said "Hey sky, take off your hat, I'm on my way" and she was at the pointy end of a big rocket.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #53 on: September 14, 2020, 09:46:32 am »

HTH
We need more data points. Valentina Tereshkova, first woman in space said "Hey sky, take off your hat, I'm on my way" and she was at the pointy end of a big rocket.
Clearly this belongs in the 'Tenuous claims to fame' thread, but I asked VT a question at the Science Museum in 2015 when she was on stage with the director of the SciMu.

"In the USSR, was your flight regarded as a triumph of Science or Engineering ?"
Cue a perfect politician's answer. Ten minutes of waffle that didn't answer the question.
Rust never sleeps

Cudzoziemiec

• Eating all the pies and drinking all the tea.
« Reply #54 on: September 14, 2020, 10:09:38 am »

HTH
It's possible that although Hendrix never left the Earth's atmosphere, he was already in a different sort of orbit.

HTH
Clearly this belongs in the 'Tenuous claims to fame' thread, but I asked VT a question at the Science Museum in 2015 when she was on stage with the director of the SciMu.

"In the USSR, was your flight regarded as a triumph of Science or Engineering ?"
Cue a perfect politician's answer. Ten minutes of waffle that didn't answer the question.
Disappointing but I suppose you didn't get to be a cosmonaut (nor a US astronaut back then) without being a little bit of a politician too.

Getting back to the distance from the top of Everest to the sky, I think we're measuring to the end of the sky not the start. Sky is air, atmosphere, so it starts at ground level and fades to nothing at some undetermined altitude a little above Everest.

But then sky is also stars and planets and stuff. It's everywhere. No wonder Jimi kissed it, but I do wonder how it managed to take off its hat.
Days become simply the spaces between dreams, spaces between the shifting floors of time...

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #55 on: September 14, 2020, 11:12:16 am »
Obviously the sky handed over said hat to the sun, which put it on before coming out to play.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #56 on: September 14, 2020, 11:49:38 am »
Due to tidal loading, Cornwall sinks and rises by up to 15cm twice a day.

The official sea level height datum is in Cornwall, on a plaque fixed to a building.

Ergo, the official heights of anything alters by up to 15cm a day.

https://youtu.be/lCA0II1sVZA
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #57 on: September 14, 2020, 03:30:47 pm »
I thought the 2015 film about Everest was very good indeed.  Said a lot about climbing it.  It was called 'Everest, surprisingly'.  Great helicopter action, too.

It is a very good film. The 1996 season on Everest is possibly the most documented. There have been other storms and more deaths in a season than that one but that was at the beginning of the tourist guiding experience so the mountaineers up there were generally excellent but it didn't necessarily make them good mountain guides for amateurs.

It was also at the peak (pun) of my interest in climbing, I was in the air cadets then and we regularly bussed to Wales for mountain walking and rock climbing and I soaked it all up. Someday, I was going to climb Everest despite the books I read about that climbing season.

I'm older now and don't want to and don't regret I never did. The tourist climbing has ruined the mountain and it's appeal. I would never have dreamed of going up if I wasn't capable of doing it myself and I wouldn't have tried. Now, as long as you are rich enough and want a good selfie. Off you go, have an adventure. I'm happy walking up my old favourite haunts in Wales - and sometimes Austria but normally I hire skis or ride my bike when I'm there and it's only every three or four years.

I'd like to go to Nepal, I think whilst I'm there I should go to base camp but I don't want to meet those sorts of people and I'm happier dreaming and reading all the books I still have. Perhaps I should go and see a different part of Nepal and see a different mountain and trek higher than I ever have before. I don't intend to ever go above 8,000 metres without using an airliner, I'm not good enough and I can't be bothered with all the ropes and harnesses and paraphenalia than 'climbing' requires over trekking.
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped