Author Topic: oops!  (Read 572 times)

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
oops!
« on: September 23, 2020, 06:13:25 pm »
IMG_1450 by mark tilley, on Flickr

IMG_1449 by mark tilley, on Flickr

Went out on Olive this morning, and was only thinking its about time I changed my chain, 30km in , and graunch....clang....skid.  Its an old (18years old) Campag Veloce  rear mech, having covered many, many thousands on miles, on 3 different bikes.  But its is no more.  Looking closely the swinging arm had come adrift from the body, and only seemed to held together by a hidden circlip or summit..  Completely mullered the gear hanger, no spoke damaged, and bent the qr.  So I split the chain...(aint those KMC quick links the dogs!), shortened the chain, which was actually twisted quite badly, and hobbled home.
Thence, dives into shed, opens store cpd, and pulls out new cable, new gear hanger, new 7 speed cassette, new 8 sp chain, and slightly used Shimmy XT  rear mech, cleaned front chainrings etc, 'et voila' sorted.

Re: oops!
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2020, 06:35:20 pm »
I wonder what happened first?

cheers

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2020, 08:54:59 am »
Well done for handling the issue well and pragmatically ( and carrying the right tools).
I was out with a group one day. We were mostly on winter bikes, but one character was on a top of the range bike, and was moaning about how our average speed would bring his a Strava average down
He mounted a full on attack up a sharp little hill - putting his rear mech into his wheel and breaking the sacrificial gear hanger.
A couple of us had the right tools, and offered your solution, to be angrily rebuffed and told that only his mechanic touched his precious bike.
In the end we pushed him to somewhere he could wait for a car to pick him up.
Comments about how good his special mechanic was if he hadn’t set the limit screws correctly were predictably angrily rebuffed.

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2020, 08:58:27 am »
Only my mechanic touches my bike..... Although I am my mechanic.... And recently my bike came back in a mates team car as I'd lent it to him while fixing his bike with the rear mech off. He was incredibly sheepish and apologtic but the hanger had just died.

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2020, 09:01:49 am »
Well done for handling the issue well and pragmatically ( and carrying the right tools).
I was out with a group one day. We were mostly on winter bikes, but one character was on a top of the range bike, and was moaning about how our average speed would bring his a Strava average down
He mounted a full on attack up a sharp little hill - putting his rear mech into his wheel and breaking the sacrificial gear hanger.
A couple of us had the right tools, and offered your solution, to be angrily rebuffed and told that only his mechanic touched his precious bike.
In the end we pushed him to somewhere he could wait for a car to pick him up.
Comments about how good his special mechanic was if he hadn’t set the limit screws correctly were predictably angrily rebuffed.

'Points finger, laughs'

Well done from restraining yourselves from just leaving him. Sounds a right prat.
<i>Marmite slave</i>