Author Topic: Winter Boots  (Read 1422 times)

JonB

• Granny Ring ... Yes Please!
Re: Winter Boots
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2020, 02:33:58 pm »
Rarely, overshoes have openable velcro straps across the sole. This means you can put the overshoe on your leg before you put shoes on your feet. Then, relatively easily, you slide the overshoe down over your foot and shoe, and do it up.

Can anyone recommend some overshoes with this feature?
Grip Grab do these, I've got a pair of their heavy duty winter ones but I think they come in various weights, a lot easier to get on and off, some details here https://www.gripgrab.com/blogs/gripgrab-guides/how-to-put-on-zipperless-shoe-covers

« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2020, 03:57:58 pm »
Rarely, overshoes have openable velcro straps across the sole. This means you can put the overshoe on your leg before you put shoes on your feet. Then, relatively easily, you slide the overshoe down over your foot and shoe, and do it up.

Can anyone recommend some overshoes with this feature?

The cheapo Decathlon ones are like that. The draw back being that they come undone fairly often, and from there the toe pops off and you get cold tootsies.

(My preference is for toe covers which offer 90% of the benefit of overshoes and can be left on when you take the shoes off)

« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2020, 06:53:24 am »
Thanks all for your comprehensive set of replies! Much appreciated.

« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2020, 04:24:18 pm »
(My preference is for toe covers which offer 90% of the benefit of overshoes and can be left on when you take the shoes off)

I tend to agree, I have neoprene toe covers (some ancient Adidas ones) for those cool but mainly dry days, and boots for cold or wet days. But then again, I'm not going to find myself half way round an audax when it starts pouring down, when a set of packable overshoes might be of benefit.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)