Author Topic: A random thread for small art things not warranting their own thread.  (Read 33864 times)

Re: A random thread for small art things not warranting their own thread.
« Reply #75 on: 29 October, 2021, 07:13:14 pm »
Gotta be Adam Ant. He was actually the first face that leapt out at me. Well not so much his face as his hat, to be fair. I'm assuming Kim actually knew this (and that later she will educate me as to who on earth Guybrush Threepwood is

Guybush Threepwood is a MIGHTY PIRATE, as anyone who had an Amiga in the early 1990s should know.

(You've got to be careful when googling for images, because you'll turn up lots of rubbish from sequels made after computers got good enough for people to do artwork for them without meticulously hand-crafting the pixels.)
I haven't played beyond the opening sequence but I've got the recent(ish) remaster on the Xbox and it's great in that it has original graphics and updated. Ok lots of games do this. But you normally have to pick which version to play. This one lets you switch on the fly with a single button press so you can bounce back and forth at will.

I should play it properly.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #76 on: 29 October, 2021, 07:25:38 pm »
I haven't played beyond the opening sequence but I've got the recent(ish) remaster on the Xbox and it's great in that it has original graphics and updated. Ok lots of games do this. But you normally have to pick which version to play. This one lets you switch on the fly with a single button press so you can bounce back and forth at will.

That sounds brilliant!

« Reply #77 on: 29 October, 2021, 07:53:16 pm »
Doesn't it just. I might have to fire it up tomorrow.

If I can get away from Satisfactory...
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo

« Reply #79 on: 31 October, 2021, 01:05:32 pm »
Ha !  Free entry for the sporters of facial foliage !    I paid to see this yesterday & had even shaved beforehand. 

https://www.apollo-magazine.com/wallace-collection-moustache-movember/
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #83 on: 08 November, 2021, 11:53:59 am »
That must have been some event, Andrew.  Thanks for keeping us up to date with your "finds" - I can't get to much at the moment but it's great to see what is on exhibit around the place.  I just checked some Hogarth, including Death of The Wife(lady?) from Marriage A La Mode - Oh Boy!

peter

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #85 on: 09 November, 2021, 02:29:19 pm »
Whilst on my constitutional today, I was accosted by a group of women wielding cameras. It seemed that they had already been photographing me without my knowledge and now they wanted some posed close-ups. It seems that I was selected for this minor sleb status because I look like "a character". I don't know which one.

The main protagonist, who had an absolutely enormous lens, told me that she was a member of the Benfleet Camera Club, amongst others, and that she would post my pictures on "We Love Southend", a Farcebook group.

Apparently, I am to be "touched up" (oo-err missus). A practice seems to be favoured in which chaps in photographs are made to look more wrinkly and rugged that their real life features. I could regard that as a slight.

I would have placed this post in the Gallery board, but there wasn't a thread about random photographic things that don't warrant a thread of their own, and since this doesn't warrant a thread of its own, I didn't feel that I ought to start one.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #86 on: 09 November, 2021, 02:32:10 pm »
TPIUWP.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #87 on: 09 November, 2021, 02:34:04 pm »
TPIUWP.

When I see them on FB I will post some.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #89 on: 09 November, 2021, 07:12:29 pm »
That needs printing at A4 (or leftpondian equivalent) and accompanied in an unmarked envelope by an open-reel tape that will self-destruct in 5 seconds.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #90 on: 09 November, 2021, 10:35:27 pm »
That needs printing at A4 (or leftpondian equivalent) and accompanied in an unmarked envelope by an open-reel tape that will self-destruct in 5 seconds.

Which is a reference totally beyond my experience.  :)

There have been many comments on the "We Love Southend" group underneath the photo, some from people I taught many years ago whom I can't even remember, but who recognise me. Some are flattering almost to the point of embarrassment. Perhaps the most interesting is a brief exchange between two unknowns:

Colin Portente to Jonathan Kendrick Mcsrsb:

I think this is your man!

Jonathan Kendrick Mcsrsb to Colin Portente:

Yes I need this man for a photo shoot

Never before having seen the letters "MCSRSB" after someone's name, Mr. Google tells me that they stand for "Master Craftsman Senior Registered State Barber".

I haven't responded to those comments, but the words "Fuck" and "Off" might well be part of my tirade should he make a direct approach. Quite apart from the fact that the last time I had anything whatever to do with a hairdresser, it cost me 2/- (two shillings to those unfamiliar with pre-1971 currency), one doesn't acquire the (dare I say) distinctive appearance that I have, and that clearly appeals to photographers and other online observers by allowing hairdressers anywhere near one's Barnet, to turn it into some bland one-size-fits-all colour-supplement bollocks.

« Reply #92 on: 09 November, 2021, 11:58:39 pm »
A recent visit to Sudley House, in Mossley Hill, Liverpool.   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sudley_House

https://www.flickr.com/photos/andrewclark/albums/72157720123783013    Not my best photos, the lighting is awful with reflections everywhere.    Button for slideshow at top right.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #93 on: 10 November, 2021, 10:54:51 am »
:-D      https://www.kendricksbarbers.com

I have received a direct approach from Mr. Kendrick. He wanted me to take part in a photoshoot, whilst wearing a "santa" suit, so that he, or one of his minions, could cut my hair and beard. Here is my full response:

A chance encounter during my constitutional in Priory Park yesterday morning resulted in this rather good photo of me, which the photographer published on the "We love Southend!" facebook group.

I can honestly say that I was surprised, touched and flattered by some of the comments, from people who know me (I've been in Southend for quite a long time, most of it as a teacher) and also from some who don't. I thank you all for your kind remarks!

However, I have had one approach, from someone with the letters "MCSRSB" after his name. Mr. Google tells me that they stand for "Master Craftsman Senior Registered State Barber".
This chap, a hairdresser in Rochford, seems to think that I will allow him to trim my hair and beard whilst wearing a "Santa" suit, all for a photo/video shoot.

Quite apart from the fact that the last time I had anything whatever to do with a hairdresser, it cost me 2/- (two shillings to those unfamiliar with pre-1971 currency), one doesn't acquire the (dare I say) distinctive appearance that I have (not that I've ever tried to acquire any kind of appearance-related image - I'm just me), and that clearly appeals to photographers and other online observers, by allowing hairdressers anywhere near one's Barnet, to turn it into some bland one-size-fits-all colour-supplement-appeal bollocks.

Indeed, I would respectfully suggest that the said hairdresser acquaint himself with the works of Douglas Adams. In order to speed up the process, a google of Golgafrinchan Ark Fleet Ship B would be of assistance.

Thank you.

« Reply #94 on: 10 November, 2021, 05:45:37 pm »
https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2021/nov/10/courtauld-van-goghs-monets-cezannes-goyas-bruegels-reborn

The Courtauld Gallery re-opens after a 2 year renovation.  I must pay a visit in the new year. 

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #95 on: 11 November, 2021, 10:18:48 am »
On my constitutional round the park this morning I was accosted by a woman who said "Didn't I see you on Facebook?"

You've heard of Roger Melly - the Man on the Telly. "Peter Walker - the Bloke on Facebook" doesn't have quite the same ring to it.

« Reply #96 on: 11 November, 2021, 11:45:36 am »
Wowbagger, Wowbagger the Barber Slagger.....  ;)

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #97 on: 13 November, 2021, 12:18:26 pm »
Portrait: picture of a person.
Self-portrait: picture of the person who made the picture.
What do you call a picture of another person making a picture of the person who made the picture? It's a portrait of a portrait. A self-portrait, in that it contains of a portrait of the artist, but as seen by an intermediate person. It's a sort of meta-portrait (long before facebook).

https://www.frieze.com/article/renaissance-joke-what-500-year-old-self-portrait-reveals

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #98 on: 13 November, 2021, 12:37:07 pm »
It's not actually the Droste Effect, so I think it's just meta...

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #99 on: 13 November, 2021, 12:45:42 pm »
It's not fractal like that but it could be self-perpetuating. Campi paints Anguissola. Anguissola thinks "So that's what I look like to him". Anguissola paints Campi's painting of her. Campi thinks "So that's what my portrait of her looks like to her". If he then did a separate portrait of her picture of him painting her, we're into another level and so on.