Author Topic: SKS Rennkompressor track pump  (Read 950 times)

SKS Rennkompressor track pump
« on: October 09, 2020, 11:58:20 am »
My old Joe Blow is on its last legs so I bought one of these.  It's proof that German engineering is often cack.  The pump itself is nice enough, except that the gauge is tiny, right at floor level and only the bar figures are visible from eye level (who uses bar?).

But the EVA pump head is utterly useless on Presta valves.  It leaks air wildly and you might manage 80psi before you can no longer pump as fast as the air is spewing out.  Read the reviews on Amazon or elsewhere.  Get one with a different head, or just buy a Joe Blow.
And Darkness and Decay and the Coronavirus held illimitable dominion over all.

Re: SKS Rennkompressor track pump
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2020, 12:29:26 pm »
..only the bar figures are visible from eye level (who uses bar?).

Umm, me.  But yes, Joe Blow's are excellent. I have an original, some 15 years old, and a newer "booster" model for use with tubeless.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2020, 12:58:28 pm »
The SKS Airworx I have is utter shite. Neither valve type attaches properly and above about 50 psi you start having to put your entire bodyweight on it at the bottom of the stroke.

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2020, 01:08:29 pm »
LJ junior has a Joe Blow and it is very good.  I have got the Rennkompressor which was bought over 20 years ago.  The dial is small but I can live with that.  The pump has had nothing done to it in that time, the seals in the pump body are original and it works well.  The head was not good, it was fine when the rubber seals were new but they would wear out in about a year.  New ones are cheap enough from SJS but I got fed up with keep having to buy them and eventually bought a Hirame head via a contact in Japan.  Silca also now make a copy but charge slightly more for it!  They are very expensive for what they are but they work brilliantly, best pump head I've used, although given the cost of it they should be good.  I've had it over 5 years and am still on the original seal, although I did take the precaution of buying a couple of spares when I got the head.

The Joe Blow is light and the base is stable, the Rennkompressor has folding feet which are narrow and it does tend to fall over when left but it is built to last, it is certainly a lot heavier than the Joe Blow.  If I had to buy again I would probably get the Joe Blow but I suspect that my great grandchildren will be able to inherit the Rennkompressor.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2020, 02:09:54 pm »
the gauge is tiny, right at floor level and only the bar figures are visible from eye level (who uses bar?)..
The Germans.

Even I now know my front tyres on the Milan should run at 8 bar.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

tedshred

• AKA: Dirk - Let me see those hands
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2020, 02:35:49 pm »

But the EVA pump head is utterly useless on Presta valves.  It leaks air wildly and you might manage 80psi before you can no longer pump as fast as the air is spewing out.  Read the reviews on Amazon or elsewhere.  Get one with a different head, or just buy a Joe Blow.

I'm glad it's not just my usual user error  :facepalm:  I am going to try a different head - the pump is too heavy to take to the dump.
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2020, 02:58:10 pm »
i've picked it up in a bike shop, thought "whaaat?..." and put it back with a mental note to never consider it again :)

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2020, 03:16:49 pm »
What's putting your Joe Blow on its last legs?
If it's getting a bit draggy, pop the top of the compression tube off and launch some appropriate grease into it.

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2020, 03:36:09 pm »
I'm sure I replaced the head on my SKS Rennkompressor with some sort of other Topeak aftermarket smart head.  Something like this: https://www.topeak.com/global/en/products/upgrade-kits/224-twinhead%C2%AE-upgrade-kit

No issues with it since then!  :thumbsup:

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2020, 04:02:38 pm »
What's putting your Joe Blow on its last legs?
If it's getting a bit draggy, pop the top of the compression tube off and launch some appropriate grease into it.
The head is very worn and the check valve plays up sometimes.  It is repairable but the rest of it is in a bit of a state after 20 years or so.

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2020, 08:16:19 pm »
Multivalve head arrived.  It works just fine now.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2020, 02:11:43 am »
Which is the right answer. Utterly bombproof and rebuildable for your grandchildren to use but a crap chuck compared to quite a few lesser pumps. Silca was much the same.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2020, 08:59:54 am »
I'm sure I replaced the head on my SKS Rennkompressor with some sort of other Topeak aftermarket smart head.  Something like this: https://www.topeak.com/global/en/products/upgrade-kits/224-twinhead%C2%AE-upgrade-kit

No issues with it since then!  :thumbsup:

Exactly the same for me - my SKS is 30+ years old, never done anything to it, although the head was never very special, but with this Topeak head it'll probably see me out. Oddly, I bought a Topeak booster pump for my (failed) tubeless experiment and the head on that doesn't work as well (or at all on Schraeder), it's a different design.

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2020, 11:10:58 am »
I do find the Topeak head on my Joe Blow Booster isn't all that great on shorter Presta valves.  I'll have to have a look and see how it compares to that on my original Joe Blow, which is languishing in the corner of the shed ATM.

Or there's this cheap clone (note the obligatory "unisexs" in the link!)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Truflo-Unisexs-QA4900-Standard-Universal/dp/B01MTWIR8J/ref=pd_rhf_se_p_img_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=X9JA8THYGKA2Y581GDWG
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2020, 07:57:30 pm »
Multivalve head arrived.  It works just fine now.

For the Rennkompressor, or the Joe Blow?

« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2020, 09:38:19 am »
For the Rennkompressor.  It has two holes and doesn't try to accommodate Schrader and Presta in the same hole, which rarely works

« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2020, 10:27:29 am »
We've got a Rennkommpressor (having had three various other track pumps in the past).

The head's a bit shit, but the pump itself appears to be bomb proof. Plus it's the only one that Mrs hatler can easily get her tyres up to pressure.

A big (but not total) thumbs up from here. When the head gives up I'll get what RZ's got.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2020, 10:46:04 am »
I've just ordered one of these for my Joe Blow from Leisurelakes.
Twinhead

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2020, 07:26:31 am »
My Rennkompressor had the brass head on it, which kind of worked - chosen at the time because it was on offer and much cheaper to buy that plus a new head than one with the head I would otherwise have chosen. It was bought when my Park Tools track pump fell apart on some plastic bits so I wanted something more robust.

I also ended up changing to the multi valve head eventually, and have had no issues with that since.

For reading the gauge I look where the number is close up, then just watch the angle of the needle. If it's one of my usual bikes then I don't need to read the numbers as I know what angle it should be at.

The other slightly irritating thing is the nut holding the handle on needs tightening every so often. One day it'll annoy me when I'm close to the threadlock bottle and am not in a rush so don't just finger tighten it so I can get out.

KM

« Reply #19 on: Yesterday at 04:46:00 am »
My Rennkompressor had the brass head on it, which kind of worked...

I also ended up changing to the multi valve head eventually, and have had no issues with that since.

For reading the gauge I look where the number is close up, then just watch the angle of the needle. If it's one of my usual bikes then I don't need to read the numbers as I know what angle it should be at.

The other slightly irritating thing is the nut holding the handle on needs tightening every so often. One day it'll annoy me when I'm close to the threadlock bottle and am not in a rush so don't just finger tighten it so I can get out.

+1

« Reply #20 on: Yesterday at 08:24:47 pm »
Mine is 20-25 years old but hasn't been used for 15 years since the push on adapter rubber washer wore out. I tried to get a new washer but it didn't work.

I think there were two types of adaptors available, a push on one held on by friction, and one with a lever which I guess works like the Zefal HPX.

The gauge is fine, I set it to 6.5 bar, it's only a rough guide anyway to prevent dangerous over inflation. As for who uses bar, that'll be the rest of the world apart from the US and UK.

I did buy a £8 Lidl track pump just for the head to put on my SKS, but the pump works OK, OK enough to use as is.

I prefer to use a Zefal HPX which is always to hand as it's on my bike.