General Category > Freewheeling

Look mum, no brakes

(1/2) > >>

Tim Hall:
Driving home this evening I was caught in a short queue on a dual carriageway approaching a roundabout with pedestrian crossing adjacent.  I spied, across the far side, a youth on bike aiming to cross the dual carriageway come to a not too graceful halt, deploying feet to the ground and slinging his bike around, as the red man sign was on.

Hmm, was this the not uncommon disconnected V brake syndrome found on poorly maintained bikes? As the traffic crept forward I got another glimpse of his bike.

No tell tale V brake arms wagging in the breeze. Hmm, the thick plottens.  I look again and spy a disc brake calliper on the front fork. I look harder and do not see a disc braked wheel but a rim braked wheel. Ah, that could explain things.

Adam:
Today in the shop a young lad brought his bike in, asking me to replace his rear cable disc brake with a hydraulic brake.  I pointed out to him that his existing brake worked fine but he just wanted to have the same as I'd fitted to his mate's bike last week.   

I also pointed out that he's supposed to also have a front brake, as that was completely non existent - not even a lever.  He said he might pop back next week to have that fitted.  ::-)

ian:
As a BMX child, depending on what stupid stunt we were trying to perfect at the time, we were frequently brakeless. You became adept at stopping through the application of shoe to tyre. Or if you didn't, it hurt until you did.

Adam:

--- Quote from: ian on October 27, 2020, 04:19:22 pm ---As a BMX child, depending on what stupid stunt we were trying to perfect at the time, we were frequently brakeless. You became adept at stopping through the application of shoe to tyre. Or if you didn't, it hurt until you did.

--- End quote ---
It still happens.  I've done loads of Dr Bike sessions at schools where a sizeable minority of older students think it's cool to remove the brakes and use their feet on the wheel to slow down.  Very athletic to see in action, but they did admit it wore out their shoes, as a few showed the holes in their shoes.

Kim:

--- Quote from: Adam on October 29, 2020, 10:18:37 pm ---
--- Quote from: ian on October 27, 2020, 04:19:22 pm ---As a BMX child, depending on what stupid stunt we were trying to perfect at the time, we were frequently brakeless. You became adept at stopping through the application of shoe to tyre. Or if you didn't, it hurt until you did.

--- End quote ---
It still happens.  I've done loads of Dr Bike sessions at schools where a sizeable minority of older students think it's cool to remove the brakes and use their feet on the wheel to slow down.  Very athletic to see in action, but they did admit it wore out their shoes, as a few showed the holes in their shoes.

--- End quote ---

I recall a PSO of my acquaintance doing that, on the dubious basis that the shoes were a sunk cost but replacing the brake pads would require additional expenditure...    :facepalm:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version