General Category > The Knowledge

Brinelled - on the turbo?

(1/4) > >>

T42:
Moving my old Ti warhorse the other day I was surprised to notice that the steering was quite badly brinelled. I've only done one 90k ride on this bike this year, and I noticed nothing amiss. I used it on the turbo during lockdown, which is when I might have expected it to happen, but the 90k was done soon after lockdown ended.  The bike's been sitting unused on the turbo ever since. Could four months without moving the bars have done this?

FWIW, the bearing dates from 2004.

mzjo:

--- Quote from: T42 on October 22, 2020, 02:53:10 pm ---Moving my old Ti warhorse the other day I was surprised to notice that the steering was quite badly brinelled. I've only done one 90k ride on this bike this year, and I noticed nothing amiss. I used it on the turbo during lockdown, which is when I might have expected it to happen, but the 90k was done soon after lockdown ended.  The bike's been sitting unused on the turbo ever since. Could four months without moving the bars have done this?

FWIW, the bearing dates from 2004.

--- End quote ---

Other possibilities (to my mind) would include condensation in the bearing causing rusting at the ball contact points (due to inactivity) or simply the grease going hard and soapy due to the inactivity. A mixture of all three causes is possible!

Brucey:
there will have been tiny movements even on the  turbo, and that might have help create a fretting situation, especially if the grease has dried.  The slightest sign of conditions that might promote corrosion will greatly increase the erosion rate.

cheers

T42:
Thanks, both. Oh well, a new bearing after 16 years isn't exorbitant. I don't feel like messing about with it so the LBS can do it.

Cheers.

Giropaul:
When I was involved in teams we noticed that the spare bikes somehow ended up with rough headsets despite rarely being ridden.
On a race car they are carried with the front wheel in on the car roof. It turned out that the small vibrations , left and right, due to airflow and road surface was the cause.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version