Author Topic: Funny spanners.  (Read 1110 times)

Re: Funny spanners.
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2020, 09:12:55 am »
Beware that the type posted by Mr Larrington are pretty useless for use on a bike. They don't work unless the nut is standing proud of the surface.

I recommend a set of ratchet ring spanners. Bought mine from halfrauds - good quality and a guarantee, just like snapon.

<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2020, 09:25:51 am »
The Halfords guarantee used to have a fairly major flaw. Despite it being a lifetime guarantee, you have to provide the purchase receipt.
They print (or at used to) on thermal paper - so after a year it has faded to nothing, so you have no receipt and can't claim.

Nowadays they will email receipts to you, so that is a little better. Just something to be aware of.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2020, 09:40:27 am »
The Halfords guarantee used to have a fairly major flaw. Despite it being a lifetime guarantee, you have to provide the purchase receipt.
They print (or at used to) on thermal paper - so after a year it has faded to nothing, so you have no receipt and can't claim.

Nowadays they will email receipts to you, so that is a little better. Just something to be aware of.

That's why I scan any receipts I may possibly/perhaps require that are on thermal paper!
Cycle:End-to-End     Resources and inspiration for the great adventure!
HoE Cycling Club

« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2020, 09:43:18 am »
Thanks everyone.
The main reason I'm asking is that I want something for my bike toolkit that isn't too bulky or heavy. They're never going to have to fight for a living.
The comment about rounded nuts, (fnuurr fnurr !) is very interesting though.
Liz

To be honest I wouldn't recommend them for a bicycle toolkit.  If you have a period machine with proud bolt/machine screw heads and nuts I'd personally stick with period style dumbell spanners and / or those period multi spanners that manufacturers used to provide.

However, it's your choice.  I'm not sure if you'll find any but I can send you one if you really want one.  I have a few packages to send out when I eventually get around to it.

« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2020, 09:44:56 am »

That's why I scan any receipts I may possibly/perhaps require that are on thermal paper!

Smartphones make this task easier these days.

« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2020, 09:54:45 am »
When I used to work in Halfords many years ago if it could be identified as whatever the Halfords premium tool range was then we replaced it without receipt