Author Topic: Which VR cycling app do you use?  (Read 2658 times)

Re: Which VR cycling app do you use?
« Reply #75 on: November 22, 2020, 04:45:12 pm »

... and the girl you're drafting drops a burrito.....

Ok, I give up, what is that??  :o
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #76 on: November 22, 2020, 04:51:10 pm »
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

fboab

• It's a fecking serious business, riding a bike
« Reply #77 on: November 22, 2020, 07:21:48 pm »
I've only ever seen the burrito in races. It's quite effective in the crit racing.
TSS is not Total Sex Score, Chris!

« Reply #78 on: November 22, 2020, 08:39:47 pm »
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #79 on: November 22, 2020, 10:36:44 pm »

citoyen

« Reply #80 on: November 23, 2020, 05:57:39 pm »
Ta, I could waste quite a bit of time on that site!

You wouldn't be alone...  ::-)

I've been having some fun exploring the downloadable map of Watopia and deciding where I want to ride next...  ;D

https://zwiftinsider.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/Watopia-2.12.pdf

I'm only level 5 though, so it'll be a while before I get to have a go at the Alpe du Zwift.  :(

« Reply #81 on: November 23, 2020, 06:13:21 pm »
Try the radio tower climb instead. Not as high, but a fair way up.

citoyen

« Reply #82 on: November 23, 2020, 07:02:18 pm »
Try the radio tower climb instead. Not as high, but a fair way up.

Did that on Saturday. Got to the top of the "Epic KOM" segment and thought I was done with the climbing. Then I got directed off onto a side road...  :sick:

fboab

• It's a fecking serious business, riding a bike
« Reply #83 on: November 23, 2020, 10:23:33 pm »
If you don't want to wait, just do a group ride up there.
I think even if you're not a high enough level you can arrange a meet up on any course, including Road to Sky.
TSS is not Total Sex Score, Chris!

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #84 on: November 29, 2020, 10:38:40 am »
FTP test is a good idea I think just to gauge which group you should be in. I'm half way through the Zwift 28 day FTP builder. Will be interesting to see how much impact it has.

Finished it today and increased my FTP by 15%. Admittedly from a low fitness base but an increase nonetheless.

Downside is that workouts will get proportionately harder.

« Reply #85 on: November 29, 2020, 12:20:20 pm »
I've been doing a bit of time trialling for my club and, although I've never tried a formal FTP test, Zwift keeps upping my FTP anyway, so it seems to measure it whether you do a test or not. Makes sense I suppose. It's a bit obscure but, if you're in a ride, you can use the Menu button and edit your public profile, near your name, and that lets you see your current FTP. I may have mentioned that the Menu button is one of the many quirks of the system; it gives you access to various things that you'd mostly want before or after a ride, but you can only access it during one ::-)

We've had an inter-club time trial series with various local others for many years. It's gone onto Zwift (and ZwiftPower) of course this year. The scoring is obscure, and only really understood by the person who works the results out, but the principle is to make as many riders' times as possible count for their clubs, so that even we slower ones can make a contribution, and to favour the clubs who get the best turnout.

citoyen

« Reply #86 on: November 29, 2020, 12:52:33 pm »
I've been doing a bit of time trialling for my club and, although I've never tried a formal FTP test, Zwift keeps upping my FTP anyway, so it seems to measure it whether you do a test or not. Makes sense I suppose.

I got a notification that my FTP was increased after my last session, which is understandable as it was a much harder effort than any of my previous Zwift sessions.

I would guess the benefit of doing a formal FTP test is that it's structured to more accurately gauge your maximum level, rather than just extrapolating from your normal riding.

PaulF

« Reply #87 on: November 29, 2020, 01:56:28 pm »
I've been doing a bit of time trialling for my club and, although I've never tried a formal FTP test, Zwift keeps upping my FTP anyway, so it seems to measure it whether you do a test or not. Makes sense I suppose.

I got a notification that my FTP was increased after my last session, which is understandable as it was a much harder effort than any of my previous Zwift sessions.

I would guess the benefit of doing a formal FTP test is that it's structured to more accurately gauge your maximum level, rather than just extrapolating from your normal riding.

Well there has to be some benefit as I can hardly walk now! The test I did was an easy 40 minute-ish warmup with some sprints followed by 20 minutes flat out. The FTP is calculated as 95% of the average power of the 20 minute session. I was aiming to average 220W and actually managed 224 and it was fairly even until my sprint for the line.

« Reply #88 on: November 29, 2020, 02:40:05 pm »
Almost certainly. But descriptions of the experience make it sound like something to avoid. So I have ;D

I'm not really interested in the training side of Zwift. Haven't tried it. My approach to training for time trials has always been that it's a mild form of cheating. That's worked for me for four decades, so it's a bit late to change now.

PaulF

« Reply #89 on: November 29, 2020, 03:35:35 pm »
A very wise approach :)