Author Topic: WFH rejig  (Read 66124 times)

Re: WFH rejig
« Reply #150 on: 12 November, 2020, 10:04:02 pm »
Yes, the follow-up to that statement was that leading edge is hard work, but trailing edge is high-risk. You have no idea if your chosen dinosaur skill will suddenly go extinct; if you've spent the previous 15 years in VAX VMS it's going to be a big leap to get out of that asteroid crater.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #151 on: 13 November, 2020, 12:16:24 am »
Back to WFH setups... I already did 2/3s of my work from home and for various disability reasons need excellent ergonomics to 'not break'. Disabled Students' Allowances kindly upgraded my previous setup to much of the current one in 2015.

(click to show/hide)

I knew I had too many mouseish devices but hadn't realised how much hearing aid crap lives on my desk.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #152 on: 13 November, 2020, 12:36:01 am »
FORTRAN?  Tried it once, but I didn't inhale.

Trailing edge?  Give me nudge when they want MUMPS programmers.
Um... One of the major PAS systems in use worldwide is MUMPS derived with a different badge on it.
Thankfully my interactions with it have only been down to poor management decisions on my side of the fence... Oh wait.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

« Reply #153 on: 13 November, 2020, 03:25:55 pm »
Labelled version

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #154 on: 13 November, 2020, 04:39:24 pm »
Loving the labels Ham!

Afasoas

« Reply #155 on: 14 November, 2020, 09:40:22 pm »
Before...

After...

Well that is phase 1 at least.
Phase 2 involves the empty computer case and wall mounted monitors.

« Reply #156 on: 15 November, 2020, 05:32:13 pm »
Stage 2 has begun: Flexispot EC1 motorised sit/stand desk ordered: https://flexispot.co.uk/standing-desk-ec1.html

Should be here later this week and I just need to remember to build the new desk in the same room as it is going rather that having the embarrassing fun of not being able to get it through the doorway if I build it in the slightly more spacious hall.

The existing Ikea Bekant desk will be retired after 10+ years of solid service. I'll hopefully get rid of it through the school classifieds for a suitable donation to the school fundraising funds.

Need to get an 8 way extension lead to mount on the underside of the new desk plus some cable tidy wrap next time I pass Robert Dyas, that should help neaten up things a bit (and stop any cables being yanked out when I raise the new desk to standing height).

Have got used to the Dynamic Sitall stool and will see how well it works in standing mode.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #157 on: 15 November, 2020, 05:33:57 pm »
I'm loving seeing these WFH setups.

I'm also a little astounded at the number of pens, pencils, printers, scanners, shredders...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #158 on: 15 November, 2020, 06:01:45 pm »
I'm also a little astounded at the number of pens, pencils, printers, scanners, shredders...

Useful if not essential things to have, even if they only see occasional use.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #159 on: 15 November, 2020, 06:14:02 pm »
I have a pile of scrap paper and a pen to note down tricky names (villages in Uganda, Sudanese security guards) and medical terms. It's like the last century or something.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #160 on: 15 November, 2020, 06:50:23 pm »

I've never got the hang of note taking on the computer, legibility would be 100% better if I had but I've never lost the need for a pen and notepad.
Also it's not so easy to doodle on a computer while surviving a boring meeting.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #161 on: 15 November, 2020, 08:52:19 pm »
I have been thinking in the aim of sustainability about having a blackboard for those to do lists but I don't really have anywhere to put one..
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #162 on: 15 November, 2020, 09:11:03 pm »
I bought a white board really soon after the lockdown. I like a visible list of outstanding tasks (and somewhere to stick the jokes /cards /photos from the childers)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #163 on: 15 November, 2020, 10:32:05 pm »
My annotated version:

1. The fruit of my labour, going back about two years. I keep copies for reference, which is much quicker and easier than looking up the digital archives. The pile of papers on the desk are mainly things like production schedules and flatplans. I should put up a pinboard so I can have them visible at a glance, rather than having to go through the pile to find them when needed, but even so, they're more use in printed format than digital.

2. There's a double socket in the wall behind the desk. The iMac occupies one socket to itself, everything else that needs power - phone charger, speakers, lamp - is plugged into this 4-gang extension, which sits on a chair in order that the phone charger cable can reach the desktop. Printer lives elsewhere. As does shredder. Radio comes down the internets.

3. Aforementioned £9 Ikea anglepoise lamp. Its one shortcoming is that it is too low for my liking - it is pictured as high as it will go. The bracket can be mounted on shelves to raise it up, but there aren't any near enough my desk for this purpose. However, on the Ikea website it is pictured affixed directly to a wall. Aha - so that's what the holes in the base of the bracket are for!

4. Ikea Flintan chair. "One up from the house wine" but surprisingly comfortable. I note on the Ikea website that the arms are fitted pointing backwards. I don't play by their rules.

5. Creative T10 speaker. Its partner is hidden behind the magazine files.

6. The reason I have so many pens is because I don't know which ones work, and I'm loath to throw any out in case I accidentally throw out one that does work.

7. Box file monitor stand, bearing random paraphernalia, not all clearly visible in the pic:
Bottle opener in the shape of a bicyle
Ancient Apple wireless mouse, may or may not work but requires an AA battery
Tonor wireless mouse, defunct because right button no longer works
Garmin Edge 510 + spare battery, beyond repair
Old audax brevet card, which I dug out from the archive for reference purposes but haven't got round to putting it away again yet.
Samsung T5 SSD, which has taken over from the iMac's internal HD

8. Assorted mugs and glasses. I took care to remove visible evidence of desk-based boozing before taking the picture. Except the bottle opener.

9. Screws in wall. I have no idea what these were for and I find them irritating. Wish they would go away.

I should add that this is my desk pretty much at its messiest. I can't stand a messy desk, and even the current level of disarray makes me feel slightly uncomfortable. Must tidy it up.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #164 on: 15 November, 2020, 11:14:40 pm »
Cable horror:-

[Image Snipped]

Welcome to my world(s)
 ;D

« Reply #165 on: 16 November, 2020, 12:54:02 am »
Here's my setup:

It's the same as my old setup:

just in my new house :-)

* In order to post these images, I've just upgraded all the YACF user hosting to use HTTPS.

« Reply #166 on: 16 November, 2020, 08:31:49 am »
It's like a game of spot the difference.

I spy with my little eye, tissues in the new house.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #167 on: 16 November, 2020, 10:45:23 am »
I've never got the hang of note taking on the computer, legibility would be 100% better if I had but I've never lost the need for a pen and notepad.
Also it's not so easy to doodle on a computer while surviving a boring meeting.

The trick is to use a device separate to the one you're calling from so that you don't have to worry about the keyboard sounds, or the annoying typing on a device that holds the microphone...

If you don't have a printer, where do you store your supply of easy to access paper for when you need to get a note to a housemate in the middle of a call?

And you then need a shredder to dispose of the evidence afterwards, unless it's bbq season, in which case it is used to light the bbq...

I have a plastic glass that originally was for pens, but it now contains:

Pencils, pens, a toothbrush (I have no idea why), scissors, cable tie, jewellers pliers, chopsticks (for holding hair up), and tweezers (for SMD component manipulation).

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Afasoas

« Reply #168 on: 16 November, 2020, 01:24:55 pm »

Very useful for those occasions where you have to print, sign, scan and then email a document  :facepalm:

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #169 on: 16 November, 2020, 01:35:40 pm »
They were talking about making the office paperless in my first proper grown-up job, way back in the early 90s.

I'm betting that if I went back there, they would be no closer to that goal now than they were then.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #170 on: 16 November, 2020, 02:06:51 pm »

Very useful for those occasions where you have to print, sign, scan and then email a document  :facepalm:

Ah yes...
When my offer was accepted on the hoose that I've still not managed to buy because "Totally flexible" turns out to be "still looking for a new house", my solicitors had some app that took a picture of my passport and asked me to speak on video.
Their estate agent tiold me I couldnt' just scan and e-mail them but wanted me to drive down to Glenrotten with photo ID and bank account bill; they eventually let me go to their franchise in Dundee to do the ID check who of course, scanned and e-mailed them.
 :facepalm:

« Reply #171 on: 16 November, 2020, 02:38:06 pm »

Photoshop and Adobe Acrobat (+a <cough> Acrobat security ripper) are far more useful.

« Reply #172 on: 16 November, 2020, 05:46:01 pm »

I "print" to PDF, press the handy "signature" button which holds a copy of my scrawl from eleventy years ago, then press "email as PDF". Job done.

The backup plan for people who ask for a signed document in the mail is to put it on a memory stick and go to the stationers. Which I have to do anyway cos I don't have any envelopes - or a pen.

« Reply #173 on: 16 November, 2020, 10:38:22 pm »
Ah yes...
When my offer was accepted on the hoose that I've still not managed to buy because "Totally flexible" turns out to be "still looking for a new house", my solicitors had some app that took a picture of my passport and asked me to speak on video.
Their estate agent tiold me I couldnt' just scan and e-mail them but wanted me to drive down to Glenrotten with photo ID and bank account bill; they eventually let me go to their franchise in Dundee to do the ID check who of course, scanned and e-mailed them.
 :facepalm:

Seems silly but the difference is that someone from the company (even if it was a different branch) saw the originals first hand.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #174 on: 17 November, 2020, 07:05:42 am »
I can't believe I've only just discovered this wonderful thread, please allow me to join in.

I've been WFH since late 1999 and from our Mid-Essex abode since 2005.  I started in a garden shed but then The Current Mrs R decided the shed had to go as it was parked in the only sunny bit of our north facing garden so my late Dad and equally late FiL kindly partitioned off part of the garage to give me a rudimentary home office. 

The office bit looked something like this...

^^^ Added Daisy the Tabby Terror

The remainder of the garage looked something like this (often less tidy)...

For many years the Home Office/ Bike Fettling Facility /Man Cave/ Repository of Crap v1.0 served me well except for the fact in the winter it often got very old and conversely very hot in the summer.  Also the job I started in January means I use video conferencing far more than I ever did and the fact it is plainly obvious I work from my garage is inappropriate.

In my getting on for 60 years on this planet of ours I have acquired a deservedly shit reputation for DIY.  However, during the first lockdown myself and TCMR completed some DIY projects with a hitherto unseen level of success.  Buoyed these successes, which in the general scheme of things were very minor successes, I decided that myself and the TCMR should convert the Home Office/Bike Fettling Facility/Man Cave/ Repository of Crap v1.0 into a Climate Controlled / Multi-Media / Dual Workstation / WFH Environment / Home Gym / Bike Fettling / General Purpose Workshop / Bike and General Storage Facility.  What could possibly ...?

So I temporarily moved into the spare bedroom...

And works commenced...

The aircon / heating chap comes on Thursday, the sparky next week and in December Clint's popping over to sort out a proper exterior door.  We haven't made any serious mistakes to date, neither have we had any blazing rows, it's all going far too well.

I shall update you all as matters progress  :thumbsup: