General Category > Ctrl-Alt-Del

Phone questions?

(1/4) > >>

Poly Hive:
My phone is stone dead and has been diagnosed as motherboard deceased and its not worth fixing so......

I live in pretty much a black spot due to location and have been told that I could use wireless connectivity to get on with which ever network I want but I cannot understand how I could connect to say three if they don't have coverage here? I was on O2 which was sometimes ok but often flakey in poor weather.

So for theis wireless connection to work does there have to be a decent signal or coverage to connect to?

Confused

PH

Kim:
What they mean is that, in the absence of a cellular signal, you can use VOIP to make telephone calls over a broadband internet connection using WiFi.  The cellular providers have nice user-friendly ways of integrating this so it switches from one to the other automatically using the same phone number and so on.  (This is where my knowledge ends.  I live in a city and don't really do phone calls.)

Obviously this requires you to have a broadband internet connection and WiFi.

rafletcher:
I have wireless calls enabled, iPhone on Vodafone. Seems pretty common on the major networks these days....

https://www.4g.co.uk/news/ee-o2-three-and-vodafone-which-networks-offer-wi-fi-calling/

and like you our mobile coverage is flaky, notwithstanding what the network coverage estimators claim.

ETA as Kim says it hooks onto your home WiFi and broadband connection.

Giropaul:
I’m no expert on the dark arts, but when I am in or around the house my phone uses an internet connection rather than a phone signal connection. I just joined my phone to my internet magic box like I would join any other device.
Presumably it saves on “ air time”, as the phone is essentially another computer/ device on my network.
If your internet feed is good, then I think your phone should work fine, just don’t walk too far down the garden :-)
I stand to be corrected by the more techno- savvy inhabitants of the forum.

grams:
There are also things called femtocells which are little boxes you plug into your home broadband and they create a local mobile phone mast just for your house.

Which would solve a lot of people's problems but literally no one seems to have heard of them.

(I only do because I used to share an office with the marketing people for them. Um)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version