Author Topic: Christmas gifts caught by customs  (Read 575 times)

fd3

Christmas gifts caught by customs
« on: November 16, 2020, 02:45:03 pm »
My mother posted Christmas gifts from USania, but did not label them as gifts so we have been stung with import duty and handling fee.  Is there anything we can do or do we just have to pay up?

Postage + import is ~ value of gifts...
[/I could be wrong]

Re: Christmas gifts caught by customs
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2020, 03:11:50 pm »
When I was in the RAF back in December 1987, I was coming home for xmas from Cyprus,
landing at RAF Brize Norton. I had three bottles of Keo brandy (which I intended to give to
family members). The brandy cost buttons out there, but the duty I was required to pay at
Brize Norton in order to take bottles with me far exceeded what I originally paid for them.
I told the RAF police to donate the bottles to their xmas party stash. >:(

fd3

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2020, 05:48:03 pm »
Les fecking bastardoes!

Got the parcel today, it has "gift" marked on it.  So parcelforce lied to us when we rang and we haz been stung by customs.

Who do I killz first and how?
[/I could be wrong]

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2020, 05:51:06 pm »
How much is it worth? And what is the value claimed on the label?
Gifts worth more than £39 are liable for import VAT. Plus import duty if more than £135.

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2020, 06:30:02 pm »
I had this a couple of years ago. Mine also was labelled correctly as a gift, with all the correct declarations for value. Customs decided they thought it was worth more than declared and simply wouldn't accept any documentation that said otherwise.

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2020, 06:46:18 pm »
I bought a couple of running t shirts recently from a US trader because even with import duty and postage they were significantly cheaper than from the UK or Europe.  The package is not marked as gift or with the package value but it just came straight through.

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2020, 08:58:26 pm »
My experience is that you have to cough.
And cough for the handling charge.

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2020, 09:02:10 pm »
Gift does not exempt you, unless value very low.

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2020, 08:47:57 am »
The three bike frames I bought from xacd in China did not attract any form of customs duty. ??? :D

[Edit: Admittedly they were bought individually, during different years and not during xmas period]

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2020, 09:08:00 am »
Sounds very poor.

But we can reflect in the glory of knowing that now we have Taken Back Control, this will happen from places across the world, not just ghastly foreign regimes...
If you don't like your democracy, vote against it.

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2020, 09:30:42 am »
Yup, look forward to your eBay and Internet purchases from the EU being just as expensive and fraught as this.  Even if there is a free trade deal, it's possible customs inspections and the Parcelfarce handling fee will still be a thing.

Ironically, buying from China usually escapes all of this because customs laws don't mean shit to Chinese sellers and most things are labelled as $5 samples.
And Darkness and Decay and the Coronavirus held illimitable dominion over all.

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2020, 12:37:04 pm »
Yes.  The Chinese seem more interested in keeping their customers rather than Customs and Excise happy.   

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2020, 01:27:24 pm »
..... customs laws don't mean shit to Chinese sellers and most things are labelled as $5 samples.
The carbon fibre wheels for my Brompton were labelled thusly, despite their value being a tad higher than the cost of an entry level Brompton from Evans.

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2020, 10:38:52 pm »
I've had both getting stung and getting away with it. Bought a few CD & DVDs from the States a while back, and the (single box) shipment doubled in price. Definitely not fair that postage charges are included in the tax & duty calculations.