Author Topic: Light testing - the results  (Read 68841 times)

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Light testing - the results
« Reply #175 on: September 13, 2009, 03:11:02 pm »
Might be better with a BB dynamo.
Getting there...

border-rider

« Reply #176 on: September 13, 2009, 03:14:19 pm »
An alternative suggestion to the death defying use of rollers for trying out the dynamo lights...

Bottle dynamo on a rear wheel, with rear-wheel cycle computer pickup.

Mechanically they're less efficient than hub dynamos, but electrically they should all be much the same (3W at a nominal 6V). 

Not so, because hub dynamos are capable of delivering higher voltages at higher speed than most bottle dynamos, and therefore more power, and modern dynamo lights are built to take advantage of this

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #177 on: September 13, 2009, 04:08:46 pm »
Good point.

*dredges memory*

I recall there used to be a device you could get for rollers which would bolt to the rails and hold your bike steady...
Getting there...

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #178 on: September 13, 2009, 10:58:08 pm »
I'll happily ride rollers for you if you buy me curry! Will be in town on 26th October and may even have my AyUps with me.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #179 on: September 16, 2009, 10:20:04 pm »
This one from Deal Extreme, looks rather good for the price:
   DealExtreme: $79.81 HA-III SSC P7-C (SXO) 3-Mode 900-Lumen LED Bike Light Set

900 lumens with Li-ion batteries etc for $80. They seem to be fairly popular on the mountain bike forums, I think I might buy one sometime.

I bought one of these

DealExtreme: $33.03 MTE SSC P7 900-Lumen 2-Mode LED Flashlight (18650)

from deal extreme, with charger and 2 batteries it came to about £40 at the time. Actual today will be about $60 with a handlebar mount and two batteries.

Must say I'm very tempted by that one with the external battery pack. That comes to about £50 with free shipping. Brightness will be similar or better than the one I have, but with better battery life.

I got one of these
   DealExtreme: $34.80 Aurora AK-P7-4 HA-III SSC P7-C 2-Mode 900-Lumen LED Flashlight (1*18650)
on the basis it has more stars for $2 more. Un-frigging believably bright!

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of NĂºmenor
« Reply #180 on: September 16, 2009, 10:45:04 pm »
Sorry - your a bit quiet there - I can't hear you [/whispers]

;D

« Reply #181 on: September 16, 2009, 11:04:43 pm »
Better??? It's late  :-[

« Reply #182 on: September 17, 2009, 11:04:20 pm »
If you get a chance next time, I'd love to see footage of all the battery lights on one bike all at once. I've just had a play with 2x 40 lux IQ Ixon + 60 lux IQ Cyo. The beam from the 3 of them together was huge and massively bright compared to just one. All of the tested battery lights together should be funny.

[edit]

Just had another play - law of diminishing returns kicks in when the beams (all B&M IQ) are focussed on the  same spot. Where it was great was in widening the beam.  However, the big jump was from one light to two. Adding a third, even when that 3rd was a 60 lux cyo, wasn't near the same level of improvement. I had been toying with the idea of putting a dynohub on the tourer, and nicking the cyo off the bakfiets to supplement the pair of ixon, but now I can't be bothered. In fact, the two ixons on 10 lux was sufficient for most of the unlit country lane I ride on.

Bones

• Oh dear!
« Reply #183 on: September 20, 2009, 06:32:34 pm »
This has been an incredibly useful thread. I take my hat off to the original test team and their understanding of the measurement of light... The pictures make comparison so easy for those of us who can't find their old physics books.

I think I am heading towards buying a Ixon IQ. I recently bought a Cateye HL -EL600, in haste, and have been disappointed with it although it is better than my old opticube. Does anyone know how the Ixon IQ compares to the Cateye HL-EL600?

Bones
There are no steep hills - just puny legs and the wrong gears :D

« Reply #184 on: September 20, 2009, 07:31:15 pm »
Just had another play - law of diminishing returns kicks in when the beams (all B&M IQ) are focussed on the  same spot. Where it was great was in widening the beam.  However, the big jump was from one light to two. Adding a third, even when that 3rd was a 60 lux cyo, wasn't near the same level of improvement.
The human eye is only sensitive to big changes in light intensity, on an exponential scale.  That's why photographers use "stops"; one stop (or EV, if you like) is a doubling or a halving of light intensity.   So two lights rather than one is one stop brighter, and noticeable if not spectacular.  Three lights rather than two is less than one stop extra - you'd need four lights for that.
Never tell me the odds.

« Reply #185 on: September 20, 2009, 10:07:03 pm »
when you guys get around to serious  testing, I have a Schmidt  front wheel in a box with a cycle computer &  electric drive motor to do the dynamo tests.

You just have to get it from Durham it's dark here!

« Reply #186 on: October 10, 2009, 09:48:07 am »
I do like this thread.
The earth is vast and beautiful and contains many miraculous places. (Chekhov)

« Reply #187 on: October 10, 2009, 12:53:53 pm »
when you guys get around to serious  testing, I have a Schmidt  front wheel in a box with a cycle computer &  electric drive motor to do the dynamo tests.

What, and miss the sheer terror of Charlotte trying to cycle on the rollers in the Sekrit Bunker, in semi-darkness whilst measurements and photographs are made.  Where's the fun in that. ;D
Actually, it is rocket science.

Zoidburg

« Reply #188 on: October 10, 2009, 10:25:53 pm »

What, and miss the sheer terror of Charlotte trying to cycle on the rollers in the Sekrit Bunker, in semi-darkness whilst measurements and photographs are made.  Where's the fun in that. ;D
You know that creates an image of a racy photo shoot

Miss YACF October

Vital statistics

34"/26"/37"

Likes - knives,crossbows and penny farthings

Dislikes - white vans and sea food.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #189 on: October 10, 2009, 11:39:20 pm »
34"  :o :o :o
If you don't like your democracy, vote against it.

Zoidburg

« Reply #190 on: October 11, 2009, 12:01:52 am »
34"  :o :o :o
Well I wasn't going to PM her and ask was I?

You have to just make some things up from a safe distance...I like my face the way it is...and my legs...and organs.

« Reply #191 on: October 11, 2009, 12:43:32 am »
I thought 36/24/36 was the "ideal" set of statistics?  Are you trying to short change Charlotte? ;D
Actually, it is rocket science.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #192 on: October 11, 2009, 12:50:42 am »
He is suggesting she is a bit hippy.
If you don't like your democracy, vote against it.

Zoidburg

« Reply #193 on: October 11, 2009, 01:07:16 am »
I thought 36/24/36 was the "ideal" set of statistics?  Are you trying to short change Charlotte? ;D
I was trying to suggest the statistics of a real woman and not a barbie doll.

The deeper I dig the more the sides of the grave cave in on me.

« Reply #194 on: October 11, 2009, 07:56:31 am »
I haven't seen C posting for a while, but that's probably because it's hard to use a netbook when you're slowly crawling up Zoidburg's garden with a blacked-out face and a Bowie knife in your teeth.
Never tell me the odds.

« Reply #195 on: October 11, 2009, 06:26:15 pm »
And when Zoidburg suddenly stops posting.............

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #196 on: October 11, 2009, 10:15:10 pm »
48/34/24.

Have I misunderstood?
Getting there...

« Reply #197 on: November 07, 2009, 11:08:59 am »
I am now the proud owner of a Lumicycle LED4 system lamp.  This fits straight into my existing battery connection.  It is just a case of removing my Halide 2004 from my bars and putting on the new head unit.
The only other problem is I have to wait quite a few hours before I can go out and play in the dark  ;D

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #198 on: November 07, 2009, 11:36:10 am »
Only if someone has an E3 Triple  8)

I have an E3 Triple that can be used for an upcoming test.....

I will be doing a review of it soon..

Bottom line:
* Same beam pattern as Solidlights but a goodly twice as bright.
* Low speed performance not quite as good as B&M IQ Cyo.
* Antisocial to motons - lots of dazzle factor and with it, I get many motons not dipping or flashing or going to high beam.
* For commuting, I prefer the IQ Cyo - better beam pattern, fewer moton high beams, amount of light where it matters is about the same.

« Reply #199 on: January 19, 2011, 03:42:49 pm »
Right, so I have ordered a new bike and need to decide how I am going run lights.
note this bike is intended for fast day rides and FNRttCs.

Option 1) fit 25 mm tyre to existing SON wheel and swap back and forward between bikes. Fit Cyo to new bike. have loose cables when non dyno wheel is fitted, i.e. SON wheel is in the commuter.

Option 2) fit battery lights for the days when I expect to be riding into the dark.

Are we considering updating these tests for the current generation of lights?
What are the current range of battery lights like?