Author Topic: Repairing/updating CD player hi-fi system  (Read 230 times)

Repairing/updating CD player hi-fi system
« on: November 19, 2020, 11:52:45 am »
We have a Cyrus DAD3 as part of our hi-fi setup which dates mostly from the 90s and is all decent quality stuff albeit a little old. Replacing any of it for modern high end kit would cost a significant amount of money and stuff isn’t built like it used to be.

The CD player however, doesn’t read cds. It hasn’t for ages in fact. Recently I’ve set myself a project to get it working.

Having opened it up I’ve discovered a Phillips cdm12.4 laser unit in a VAM1202 sled. Having researched the internet ive ordered and replaced the 1202 which contained a 12.4 unit (I spent a bit more and got one with a Philips logo on it)

Unfortunately the player still will not read cds. The internet doesn’t come up with any more solutions. If the cdm12.4 is replaced that will fix it apparently and this time it hasn’t.

Any thoughts?

I’m more of a mechanical engineer than an electronics engineer so there’s pcbs with capacitors and things attached but I don’t know what they do.

Is there a modern alternative I can put in the old case? I saw mention of someone putting a Raspberry pi in there but no explanation as to how and I’ve never seen a pi let alone advanced programming it to interface with buttons, display and the cd reader.
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

Kim

• Timelord
Re: Repairing/updating CD player hi-fi system
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2020, 11:49:54 pm »
First rule of electronics diagnostics is Thou Shalt Check Voltages.  Nothing will behave properly if the power supply is misbehaving.  Anything that old is a prime candidate for dried-up power supply capacitors.
Careful, Kim. Your sarcasm's showing...

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2020, 10:38:06 am »
It has power, it lights up and the display comes up. I can check for power to the sled. Would it be a case of checking either side of each capacitor?
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2020, 10:30:20 pm »
Rip all your CDs as flacs to a hard disc/nas. Attach pi with audio card and streaming software.  We like mOOde audio. Plug into hi-fi.aux input. It's not too hard to do, plenty of web and forum help. Assuming smartphone you can browse and play cd's from a web GUI. we also have an IR remote for our favourite radio channels again v.simple to engineer. I actually have a box of Pi ones with Wolfson audio cards that would awirh a drive added do the job.