Author Topic: Dia-compe ENE bar end gear shifter  (Read 202 times)

Dia-compe ENE bar end gear shifter
« on: November 19, 2020, 10:09:20 pm »
I need some Gear levers for an eight speed build , on a 1950s Bike with a trike conversion set   . I am looking for aesthetically pleasing  and a functional design . Is the ( suntour power) ratchet system a gimmick or dose it really work well . Not worried about the friction lever for the front mech I use that on all my bikes .

thanks Colin   
Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul  three wheels Nurses !!!

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: Dia-compe ENE bar end gear shifter
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2020, 10:12:05 pm »
It works very nicely. The original Suntour bar end shifters had a too-coarse ratchet for my taste but the micro-ratchet shifters are lovely. Only the spring-loaded Simplex downtube shifters rival them.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2020, 10:33:02 pm »
That sounds good LW&B  . I have a pair of Simplex down tube levers on the Joe Waugh and a pair in the spares box  & they are lovely . But The 1951 Claud Butler has braze on fittings and  chrome spring clips for a full length chrome inflator on the down tube. Also I am not skilled / brave enough to take my hands off the handle bars whilst going full pelt around a corner to change gear .

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2020, 11:06:22 pm »
an alternative; the SunRace R90 bar end LH shifter is available individually and pretty good for the money (with a power ratchet type action) but it has a rather coarse ratchet; if used as a RH shifter ( to control a rear mech) it gives about two clicks per shift with a shimano 8s system I think, with lots of trimming necessary if the shift is mismatched of course. 

FWIW the SunRace indexed rear shifters (R80, R90 etc,  not sure if they do an 8s bar end one) do not have a very good action; they suffer from 'sticky backlash', such that they are OK on upshifts, but need pulling back to the detent following every downshift, which is quite annoying. You can rebuild the shifter internals to mitigate this but it isn't easy.

cheers

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2020, 07:16:24 am »
Thanks Brucey . The Sunrace R80 band on downtube shifters were on the reserve list . But it sounds like  they will drive me nuts . I also don't fancy taken them apart with loads of pingfuckits  fly around the shed                 Colin