Author Topic: Chess.com  (Read 446 times)

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
Chess.com
« on: December 27, 2020, 02:24:42 pm »
Anyone else play on this chess server?

One of the things I said I'd do once retired but not quite got round to was picking up chess again. I used to teach it as a Junior school winter activity club but am not actually that good a player myself.

My new son in law suggested chess.com which I recently joined and it's really good. I did check but couldn't find a yacf club on the site.

My chess name is Juzilex
https://www.chess.com/stats/daily/chess/juzilex

Re: Chess.com
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2020, 02:47:34 pm »
I'm on it all the time. Mostly the 10 minute games with people. Think I started about 3 weeks ago.  Its funny how time of day affects my ability to play.

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2020, 03:41:20 pm »
I've done a few 10' games but that's not helping improve because there is no time to think things through.

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2020, 03:51:04 pm »
I've done a few 10' games but that's not helping improve because there is no time to think things through.

It's not helping me improve either  ;D

But actually I quite like the psychological warfare of moving really fast (and trying to think quickly) and force others to make mistakes. Different kind of thing, more akin to a video game, for my generation who like instant gratification (except when I lose)

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2020, 05:21:06 pm »
By the way, my profile name is Dwight Rortugal

Wowbagger

• Dez's butler
    • Musings of a Gentleman Cyclist
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2020, 12:20:21 am »
I did some coaching on that site a fortnight or so ago - the early teenage son of a friend. We played a game and then analysed it.. it’s a very long time since I had been on that site. It remembered who I was and I found my password. There seems to be some kind of analysis engine to help you rate your games which there never was about 15 years ago when I used it a lot.  There were several moves in the game in which it suggested improvements for me.

I won the game, but I was extremely rusty. It’s 16 years since I played a competitive game.
Eating's a serious business. Don't bollocks around wagging your tail.