Author Topic: Fitting hydraulic hose into new Shimano caliper  (Read 339 times)

Fitting hydraulic hose into new Shimano caliper
« on: February 04, 2021, 09:20:56 pm »
Sorry to make another request for help withina fortnight. This time, I've got the hose insert in easily and secured into the levers, but when I looked at my brand new calipers the location the hose goes had a rubber stopper, this is easily removed but the small bag that comes with the brake contains only pads and bolts. Are they meant to come with the 8mm bolt to squeeze the olive just as the bridgers did? Or am I meant the buy them separately (frankly I can't imagine what the part is called. It all seems a bit odd to me that something so essential to making the brake work is absent.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/pMmWLqjcMLE1aL4V6

Re: Fitting hydraulic hose into new Shimano caliper
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2021, 09:46:25 pm »
If you bought the calliper separately, then no, it won’t come with the parts for the hose. The word you are looking for is compression nut. It’ll vary by calliper, my calliper uses a banjo fitting, different again.

What’s in your bag of bits? We also have no idea what your calliper model is either, so no one can specific on what nut you want.

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2021, 09:57:52 pm »
It's a Shimano rs-785, this is a bit strange, thanks for telling me the name of the part.

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2021, 10:01:16 pm »

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2021, 08:45:45 am »
After further research I've come to the conclusion that since some brakes have a banjo and the tubing may be different diameters the bolt comes with the hose. I suppose that makes sense, I bought my hose and inserts separately so that's why I didn't get the bolt. I'll call the lbs later but in the internet £6 for a tiny bolt is a bit steep, live and learn. I hope this will help others in future. Just buy genuine Shimano hose, it'll come with the bolt.

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2021, 09:08:00 am »
Just buy genuine Shimano hose, it'll come with the bolt.

Not necessarily the right one! When I did my last bike with Ultegra, I bought the levers and hoses separately.  All genuine Shimano. Neither came with the fixing bolt for the lever. Oh, and it was an odd size, and different from the previous (105) shimano levers. Like rocking horse shit it was, only one retailer had it. (SJS ISTR)  Hoses do come with the inserts and bolts for the calliper though.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2021, 09:13:42 am »
After further research I've come to the conclusion that since some brakes have a banjo and the tubing may be different diameters the bolt comes with the hose. I suppose that makes sense, I bought my hose and inserts separately so that's why I didn't get the bolt. I'll call the lbs later but in the internet £6 for a tiny bolt is a bit steep, live and learn. I hope this will help others in future. Just buy genuine Shimano hose, it'll come with the bolt.

There's a couple of different flavours of the "connecting insert" or barb - make sure you get the right one for your caliper.
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2021, 08:59:41 pm »
Thanks for all your help people, in the end I went to the trusty LBS and they found two of the relevant bolts from a box. I tried to pay them but they refused.

Now I've got oil in the system which seemed easy but strangely the funnel I got has a very narrow tread, far smaller than the port hole on the r7020 I've got. Do Shimano have two different types of funnel? If so which one did I get? Perhaps another trip to the lbs is in order!

We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)