Author Topic: Cycle cadence sensor for running?  (Read 858 times)

fuaran

• rothair gasta
Re: Cycle cadence sensor for running?
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2021, 05:19:38 pm »
I'm now wondering about kickbikes/scooters. Kind of similar idea.
Except would want to measure cadence for each leg separately. Can you pair 2 footpods to one watch? Or would you have to wear 2 watches, then somehow combine the data afterwards?

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2021, 12:10:35 am »
That said, I have been thinking, why ? Essentially it is running. Nobody I know is really that interested in cadence when running. I sometimes look at it afterwards but it just doesn’t seem to vary much not like cycling where you have gears. What cycle specific sensors are you going to have ? Power is out. You can get speed from gps. Heart rate is common to both.

I think it's mostly about handlebar-friendly form factor, and probably navigation.  You can't look at your wrist easily on a racerunner.  (It occurs to me at mounting a watch to handlebars isn't a particularly difficult problem, but presumably you lose the heart rate feature.)

Friend also has an ICE trike, so a cycling-specific unit would make sense there, too.
Careful, Kim. Your sarcasm's showing...

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2021, 12:12:20 am »
I'm now wondering about kickbikes/scooters. Kind of similar idea.
Except would want to measure cadence for each leg separately. Can you pair 2 footpods to one watch? Or would you have to wear 2 watches, then somehow combine the data afterwards?

Good question!
Careful, Kim. Your sarcasm's showing...

« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2021, 06:30:09 am »
That said, I have been thinking, why ? Essentially it is running. Nobody I know is really that interested in cadence when running. I sometimes look at it afterwards but it just doesn’t seem to vary much not like cycling where you have gears. What cycle specific sensors are you going to have ? Power is out. You can get speed from gps. Heart rate is common to both.

I think it's mostly about handlebar-friendly form factor, and probably navigation.  You can't look at your wrist easily on a racerunner.  (It occurs to me at mounting a watch to handlebars isn't a particularly difficult problem, but presumably you lose the heart rate feature.)

Friend also has an ICE trike, so a cycling-specific unit would make sense there, too.
You can get a quick release kit ... https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Garmin/Forerunner-935-Bike-Quick-Release-Kit  so you can pop the watch body from the wrist strap to the handlebars. At the end of the swim leg in triathlons there are often helpers who grab your wrists/forearms and help you with emerging from the water. Unfortunately for some I have met this has caused  ejection of the expensive part into the shallow but murky water. Irrelevant in this case however garmin also do a lower tech bit of plastic for a tenner that fits round the handlebar and then you use the watch strap.

The data field mirroring between watch and garmin edge I mentioned would not help if you wanted to use navigation.