Author Topic: Which pedals  (Read 452 times)

Which pedals
« on: February 21, 2021, 12:44:53 pm »
Hi all just wondering what pedals everyone is using on there fixed gear I’ve been using shimano spds but would like to use some stiffer shoes but not sure of road pedals as they are single side

DaT

Re: Which pedals
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2021, 12:49:02 pm »
Speedplay for me. Dual sided, loads of adjustment, free float. I tried to go back to spd-sl but didn’t last more than a month.

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2021, 01:00:45 pm »
I use either SPD or Look Keo, depending on the type of riding I am mostly doing. At the moment it is Look Keo, as I'm mostly riding with little walking at any stops.

With single sided pedals, there is a knack to getting clipped in with the second foot. I find it is easiest if I start off slowly, and can usually get the pedal to flip over and get clipped in first time. The biggest issue tends to come when I need to get away quickly, such as when at a junction when having to clear a lane or two of traffic in short order. I get going without clipping in the second foot on those occasions, but then it can take a few attempts to get clipped in at a faster pace once clear of the junction.

For the number of times you might clip in during a ride, I wouldn't make the slightly more difficult process with a road pedal a determining factor. Comfort whilst riding will far outweigh that.

As an other option, rather than switching to road pedals you could look at stiffer soled SPD shoes.

Eddington: 129 miles

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2021, 03:54:14 am »
Could try some SPD pedals with a larger platform. I think they can give a bit more support and stiffness. Though would depend on what sort of shoes you are using.

eg the Shimano touring pedals (PD-A520 or PD-A600) are single sided, with a small platform.
Or there are various double sided MTB pedals with larger platforms. Though a bit heavier and thicker, maybe more risk of pedal strike.

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2021, 06:45:27 am »
Plenty of road shoes can take two bolt cleats. If the sole is stiff the size of the cleat/pedal doesn’t matter. Ultimately you’re pressing on a skinny axle anyway.

JonB

• Granny Ring ... Yes Please!
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2021, 09:08:05 am »
SPDs for me, double sided entry reduces the faff, but then I use them on all my bikes. As noted above, there are plenty of stiff soled SPD shoes about.

fd3

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2021, 11:32:07 pm »
I have flats on my fixie.  I have a strap on the right hand pedal, but don;t faff with it on the left.
And we know the flag of love is from above/And we can force you to be free

Hot Flatus

• Mediocre polyglot.Scoutmaster and nudist
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2021, 11:43:43 pm »
SPDs for several reasons. Double-sided for easy entry and re-entry. Recessed cleats in case of walking. Less mass flying around in case of accidental unclippage.

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2021, 12:15:37 am »
This chap reckons that Speedplay clones are the dogs dodahs and considerably cheaper into the bargain
YouTube about speedplay clones
Sorting my life out, one shed at a time.

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2021, 07:18:41 am »
I use all sorts of clipless pedals on fixies (M540, A520, SPD-SL).  I wouldn't ride unclipped, as flailing pedals are nasty.

Having watched my friend accidentally unclip and faceplant last year (afternoon in A&E, pretty much every part of him bruised or skinned), don't ride with too low a tension or with SH56 cleats.  Especially if you are going for a Strava segment, as he was.  He hasn't ridden fixed since.
And Darkness and Decay and the Coronavirus held illimitable dominion over all.

Hot Flatus

• Mediocre polyglot.Scoutmaster and nudist
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2021, 07:55:07 am »
This chap reckons that Speedplay clones are the dogs dodahs and considerably cheaper into the bargain
YouTube about speedplay clones

Well he would because he is being paid to do exactly that  ;)

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2021, 07:07:58 pm »
MKS Urban platforms with Christophe toe clips !

Well after about 55years its a bit late to try these new fangled things !