Author Topic: Laverack Ti bikes  (Read 1315 times)

IJL

Laverack Ti bikes
« on: February 22, 2021, 10:43:02 am »
Has anyone on here got a J Lavarack bike?
I'm looking at a new Audax/4 season/endurance type bike
A laverack is on the shortlist along with an Enigma Etape

https://www.jlaverack.co.uk/jack-range/

Re: Laverack Ti bikes
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2021, 12:16:01 pm »
I dont have a Laverack but I do have an Enigma Etape and absolutely love it.  I really do like the way a titanium frame/bike handles compared with any other material.  I have had many different bikes over the years and rode steel (653/753/853/953) for a long time until I discovered Titanium and now only ever ride Titanium.

IJL

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2021, 02:33:16 pm »
I dont have a Laverack but I do have an Enigma Etape and absolutely love it.  I really do like the way a titanium frame/bike handles compared with any other material.  I have had many different bikes over the years and rode steel (653/753/853/953) for a long time until I discovered Titanium and now only ever ride Titanium.

Thanks Jethro, the Etape looks like a good option.  Laverack are not to far away from home so i'm curious.

I have a 2003 Litespeed but it only just fits 25mm tyres and its a bit more racy than I need these days

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2021, 04:53:26 pm »
Yes - there's a few kicking around.

At least 2 in Essex.
Regards,

Joergen

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2021, 04:44:02 pm »

Jasmijn Muller won Race Around The Netherlands 2020 on one. Darren Franks did the TransAM on one, but had the frame fail, laverack sent him a new one while he was on the road, he swapped everything across. Excellent customer service.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2021, 09:13:47 pm »

Jasmijn Muller won Race Around The Netherlands 2020 on one. Darren Franks did the TransAM on one, but had the frame fail, laverack sent him a new one while he was on the road, he swapped everything across. Excellent customer service.

J

I wonder if there is a link between social media exposure and responsiveness?

I've not had a frame failure but I have had other warranty issues.

Principle of which was initially resolved the first time (Apr 2018), the second time (Apr 2019) eventual resolved and on the third occasion I was left to have to buy new wheels 2 weeks before PBP (Aug 2019) and it took until November 2020 to be resolved where I had to deal with their supplier direct after I took to one of their FB posts in order to get attention to my unresolved issue.

My experience of customer service was OK in the first year or so, but tailed off significantly - given the cost of the bike it felt that they were shooting for Lexus level of cust service & product, but delivering at best a VW experience. 

Nice bike, certainly comfortable over distance (both LEL & PBP) and the new frames now has some (additional cost) improvements to hide cables etc.

Could do with a slightly longer chain stay so you don't have to cut part of the rear guard away to allow fit around the front derailleur band and accommodate the advertised tire width + guards.

Would I buy again?

The ability to test the bike out was one of the things I was interested in, the test ride was good and was one of the things that swung it for me to make the purchase.

Initial lead time vrs actual delivery was quite late, I ended up going to collect the built bike in order to get a few weeks of riding it before LEL. It was supposed to be due April when I ordered it!  It was explained to me at the time that they are a smaller company than the others using the same fabrication factory so get bumped by the larger customers.

On customer service (relative to cost of whole bike) probably not, but there may be extenuating circumstances behind the service I received but I didn't get any info back for over 3 months after asking about availability and cost of a replacement hanger bracket until I went down the complain on social media route.

On the bike itself. At the time yes, (and it still remains a great looking bike) but a year later though there were other bikes on the market providing more tire clearance for example (inc their own Grit) but that's the nature of the evolution of bike trends....

Hope that helps.
Regards,

Joergen

IJL

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2021, 09:51:28 am »
Thanks for the information, the bike look good on the website and they are fairly local for a test ride. Most of the other options seem to be based on the south coast which is along way for a test ride/ look.  I had not heard much about these whereas  there is a little more info out there about about Enigma.

Hunt wheels seem to be standard on most of the bikes i'm looking at and they don't get very good reviews on the forum. Hunt seem to have saturated the wheel market for this type of bike.

I have a 2016 Trek Domane which does a very good job for my type of riding and the logical thing would be to get one of the new models.  The Domane just lacks something (not sure what), i'm 50 this year and it seems like a good excuse for a new bike

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2021, 10:05:43 am »
Thanks for the information, the bike look good on the website and they are fairly local for a test ride. Most of the other options seem to be based on the south coast which is along way for a test ride/ look.  I had not heard much about these whereas  there is a little more info out there about about Enigma.

Hunt wheels seem to be standard on most of the bikes i'm looking at and they don't get very good reviews on the forum. Hunt seem to have saturated the wheel market for this type of bike.

I have a 2016 Trek Domane which does a very good job for my type of riding and the logical thing would be to get one of the new models.  The Domane just lacks something (not sure what), i'm 50 this year and it seems like a good excuse for a new bike

Hunt wheels were the principal problem for me. Laverack don't use these now but I wasn't expecting to spend so much on a full bike and be left with having to sort it out myself - most of my issues were down to lack of communication from them. 

That sounds like a great reason for a new bike, happy hunting!
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2021, 02:24:20 pm »
I joined partly to reply to this thread. I'd be very concerned about Laverack's delivery times. HWMBO and I ordered a J.ACK each last August. Delivery time was roughly 3 months, supposedly, but 6 months on, and we don't have our bikes, and have no idea when or if we ever will.

Laverack aren't great at communication, and I still don't have a clear idea of the status of our bikes. I know there were some issues with shipping due to the COVID / Brexit perfect storm, but I can't see that this can be the whole of the delay. I still don't even know if our frames have been built, are languishing in Taiwan, are in a container, or (unlikely) are in Oakham.

Another voice mail left last Monday has gone unanswered so a stiff email is leaving this afternoon. I must admit I'm concerned.

Hot Flatus

• Mediocre polyglot.Scoutmaster and nudist
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2021, 02:26:58 pm »
I'm old enough to remember Omega Ti bikes  ;)

I'd be getting a refund pronto. The very least they can do is respond.

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2021, 02:29:53 pm »
I really, really, want the Laverack bike to work. I'm short, and it's always a pain adjusting the smallest bike to fit, and I never seem to get a great result. A custom Laverack is my retirement dream come true. I'll update if we hear more.

Hot Flatus

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2021, 02:35:55 pm »
Good luck. Hope it works out

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2021, 03:08:35 pm »
I joined partly to reply to this thread. I'd be very concerned about Laverack's delivery times. HWMBO and I ordered a J.ACK each last August. Delivery time was roughly 3 months, supposedly, but 6 months on, and we don't have our bikes, and have no idea when or if we ever will.

Laverack aren't great at communication, and I still don't have a clear idea of the status of our bikes. I know there were some issues with shipping due to the COVID / Brexit perfect storm, but I can't see that this can be the whole of the delay. I still don't even know if our frames have been built, are languishing in Taiwan, are in a container, or (unlikely) are in Oakham.

Another voice mail left last Monday has gone unanswered so a stiff email is leaving this afternoon. I must admit I'm concerned.

Oh heck - I am sorry to hear that.

I eventually got a response when I posted a "Please can you contact me about my problem I have had since August 2019" or words to that effect on one of their advertising posts on Facebook in mid-Oct 2020!. 
That soon got a response by phone and it pissed me off as all the emails and left voicemails had up till then been unanswered.

I used the same phone call in October to chase up the request for cost and availability on a RD hanger which I had requested in July.  Imagine if I had been unable to use the bike from July when I raised the initial question on teh bike specific spare part till when it eventually arrived (from stock no less) in mid-November. Obviously this has left me a bit nervous about any frame issues in the future.

If you are a head honcho at Aston Martin or with significant social media presence then response is probably quicker  ;D

I do hope things work out for you.  :thumbsup:
Regards,

Joergen

IJL

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2021, 04:25:14 pm »
Strewth i'm glad I posted the question.  They're not covering themselves in glory.

Thanks for sharing the info. 

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2021, 04:55:31 pm »
No and it's such a shame as they really do seem to be lovely people. We had a great bike fitting, and then a long test ride of 90 minute - could have been longer but we didn't have the time.

If you do go over, I'd be interested in what you think, and what they tell you about delivery times.

IJL

« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2021, 05:55:43 pm »
No and it's such a shame as they really do seem to be lovely people. We had a great bike fitting, and then a long test ride of 90 minute - could have been longer but we didn't have the time.

If you do go over, I'd be interested in what you think, and what they tell you about delivery times.

They're close enough for me to have a look,  but to be honest although the bike looks very nice there are quite a few people making very nice bikes in the UK.  It might mean a bit more traveling but I haven't heard anything similar about Enigma, Mason, Reilly etc.  It sounds like better communication would have gone a long way.  I think we can accept things go wrong, its how they're put right that counts

Hot Flatus

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2021, 06:22:48 pm »
Not heard anything similar about Reilly?

Did you miss the entire debacle about 15 years ago?

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2021, 06:23:45 pm »
I ordered a frame from one of the Chinese titanium factories mid December. It arrived on 16 Feb, as promised and after languishing at Guangzhou for a few days over Chinese New Year. I’ve not tried to build it up yet, but it looks fine and the welds are all very clean.

If you know what geometry you want and are comfortable determining tube sizes that’s an option.

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2021, 06:27:04 pm »
And because we always like to change the topic;) if you were to consider steel Fairlight seem to have some nice frames and builds (Strael?) or more expensive and custom geometry Stelbel in Italy - as well as several UK builders of course.

Right, as you were.

Hot Flatus

« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2021, 06:30:58 pm »
Which Chinese builder did you go for?

« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2021, 07:10:28 pm »
Which Chinese builder did you go for?

Titan, but I suspect Waltly is probably the safest. Porter’s reputation and the general view that everything adds a cost put me off XACD, although based on your experience it may well have been fine, and the Sabbath is Waltly built.

Hot Flatus

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2021, 07:37:15 pm »
I wouldn't touch XACD.

IJL

« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2021, 08:43:37 pm »
Not heard anything similar about Reilly?

Did you miss the entire debacle about 15 years ago?

That had been lost in the Fog of time, I must have read about it on the old cycling+ forum but couldn't recall anything
However google has much better memory that I do

IJL

« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2021, 08:52:28 pm »
And because we always like to change the topic;) if you were to consider steel Fairlight seem to have some nice frames and builds (Strael?) or more expensive and custom geometry Stelbel in Italy - as well as several UK builders of course.

Right, as you were.

I have considered steel and the Strael gets superb reviews and looks very good, also considered considered Mason Definition / Resolution.

I do like Ti but to be honest its as much for the aesthetic as the ride

When lockdown ends I will have to go and have a look at these bikes in the flesh, Enigma and Mason are still offering test rides, Fairlight have suspended then at present. 

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2021, 09:15:56 pm »
It was certainly the aesthetics that worked for my with the unusual top tube - for similar reasons I quite like the Condor Fratello, there was another Ti frame with similar attractive properties but I can't remember the builder now (I did think J.Guillem but I don't think it was them)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/SRnhu5JMsiURn8cw9
Regards,

Joergen