Author Topic: Lezyne Road Drive mini pump (medium size)  (Read 658 times)

Lezyne Road Drive mini pump (medium size)
« on: March 30, 2021, 08:41:41 pm »
Beautifully made and the "silver" (bare alloy) one is a thing you just want to fondle.

The USP is that it uses a reinforced hose to connect to the valve, which is much better than trying to use a directly-attached pump.  It's not like the braided Bluemels ones of old.

I deflated a 700 x 25c tyre and 200 strokes got it Very Hard - probably 100psi or thereabouts.  The last 50 strokes are hard work but there are no leaks and it gets there.  160psi is supposed to be possible but you'd need to be Geoff Capes.

There is a little pressure release valve for the hose, to use before you unscrew it from the valve, which relaxes the grip of the O-ring.

A rebuild kit is available.  It comes with a bottle cage mount but will go in a jersey pocket or saddlebag.

It's lighter than a 16g CO2 canister and Truflo head.

Highly recommended.  Not much slower than a frame fit pump, superior in many ways, and much more transferable between bikes.
And Darkness and Decay and the Coronavirus held illimitable dominion over all.

Hot Flatus

• Mediocre polyglot.Scoutmaster and nudist
Re: Lezyne Road Drive mini pump (medium size)
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2021, 08:44:27 pm »
Just remember to grease the thread on where the hose screws into the barrel, especially if you ride in the rain . Don't ask me how I know this  ;)

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2021, 08:50:22 pm »
...and if you use tubes with removable cores you nip them up with pliers before you remove them with the Lezyne.

Cudzoziemiec

• Eating all the pies and drinking all the tea.
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2021, 09:02:23 pm »
I used to have a Lezyne Micro Floor Drive. Same metal construction and same hose connection. Flatus and JonBuoy are both correct. What's more, the hose on mine eventually came apart where it joined onto the in-line pressure gauge. Of course, it had to do this on a day when I got three punctures – after none at all for at least six months – I managed to get it back together again and kind of usable, but never trusted it. The pressure gauge was a bit crap anyway, TBH. It's final flaw, which doesn't apply to the Road Drive (judging by the photos) was that the handle was far too small. Being small and metal, it really bit into your hands when trying to get a high pressure.
Riding a bike through a city is like navigating the collective neural pathways of a vast global mind.

Hot Flatus

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2021, 09:30:16 pm »
...and if you use tubes with removable cores you nip them up with pliers before you remove them with the Lezyne.

Yes, that too  ;D

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2021, 02:41:16 am »
Looks rather similar to a Topeak Racerocket. Anyone compared them?

The Topeak has a little tool built in to the base, for tightening up valve cores if necessary.

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2021, 03:29:22 pm »
Topeak have been doing good pumps with a tough & firmly-fitting hose rather than direct connection for a long time, so it's not really a Lezyne USP. My wife & I have a couple of different-sized Topeak Morphs, & the Racerocket has been mentioned.

The Morph range predates Lezyne's pumps with hoses by quite a bit, & I think Sigma pumps with hoses were even earlier (I had one, IIRC before Topeak Morphs were a thing) - though the Morph design was better (the foot & attachment to the bike: similarly good at the actual pumping), which may be why Sigma no longer does pumps. There are others, too, including Bontrager & Blackburn.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Hot Flatus

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2021, 05:51:59 pm »
Topeak Roadmorph is a fantastic pump.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2021, 06:02:44 pm »
I have a couple of the Lezyne Road Drive pumps spread across the fleet, and yes, they are rather nice.

As others have mentioned, a couple of gotchas:

1) They have a tendency to remove the valve core when unscrewing the hose. A couple of things to avoid this:

- nip up the valve cores on your spare tubes with pliers before packing them;
  - Use the little button on the hose to dump the pressure in the hose before unscrewing it. This causes a ~100psi pressure differential across the valve core which helps to jam the thread.

2) The hose itself is in 2 pieces: there is an adaptor piece on one end which screws into the pump both when in use, and when the hose is stowed inside the hollow barrel.  Make sure this is *firmly* screwed onto the hose.  Otherwise, when attempting to get the hose out of the barrel to use it, you unscrew the adapter off the hose as well as out of the barrel. You end up with just the adapter in your hand, and the hose stuck inside the barrel just out of reach and with just enough friction to make it a difficult bugger to extract.

Cudzoziemiec

• Eating all the pies and drinking all the tea.
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2021, 08:32:53 pm »
My very limited experience of Lezyne stuff and not quite as limited experience of Topeak gives me the impression that Lezyne things look impressive but Topeak work slightly better. Parts are also available for Topeak pumps (as apparently they are for Lezyne).
Riding a bike through a city is like navigating the collective neural pathways of a vast global mind.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2021, 01:05:10 pm »
i've been using two lezyne pumps (carbon lite hp and road drive) for several years, they live on the bikes and still function fine (with the caveats discussed above). apart from the tcrno5 where i was topping up latex inner tubes daily, i use these pumps maybe once a year as i rarely get punctures. last time it was a week ago when the sealant did it's job, but tyre pressure dropped to 30-40psi by feel, so topped it up and happily continued with my ride.

fboab

• It's a fecking serious business, riding a bike
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2021, 04:27:24 pm »
We have several Lezyne pumps but I'm now buying Giant branded ones, because a) purple and b) the hose lives in the barrel and you just pull it out, rather than having to screw it in when required.

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Liv-Womens-Control-Mini-Road-Pump_83795.htm?

Or if you're a man

https://www.stows.co.uk/accessories/pumps/2020-giant-control-mini-road-bike-pump-in-black__13041?

(the sigh is obvious, yeah?)

TSS is not Total Sex Score, Chris!

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2021, 09:27:09 pm »
Topeak Roadmorph is a fantastic pump.
Mrs B loves hers.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897