Author Topic: A solution looking for a problem...  (Read 1751 times)

Kim

• Timelord
Re: A solution looking for a problem...
« Reply #25 on: 13 May, 2021, 06:17:30 pm »
John W (? the London video guy) [...] It's perhaps telling that he seemed to be shooting it in the company of velomobilists.

That's just the nature of his interests.  He's a velomobile dealer, and his channel is mostly focused at the velomobile end of all things dark side.
Careful, Kim. Your sarcasm's showing...

Cudzoziemiec

• Eating all the pies and drinking all the tea.
« Reply #26 on: 13 May, 2021, 07:13:22 pm »
Nevertheless, velomobile riders and to an extent all forms of recumbenteers are clearly willing to break the bounds of what is generally considered a "socially normal" bicycle and therefore less likely to be offput by what many might perceive as the "glorified mobility scooter" or "C5 gone mad" looks of the Drycycle. Of course equally, the GCN crew are willing to sit around in a cafe in the middle of Bath dressed in figure-hugging gimp wear. I also thought they seemed to be getting a different sort of head turn, not quite "what the fuck is that?" but at least "ooh isn't that funny" in Bath than in central London, which I'm going to ascribe the former's more conservative nature and lower cyclist numbers but in reality is just as likely a result of the editing.

In the end it doesn't really matter any more than the pedal reflectors. If he's only making ten, he'll no doubt sell them all to (I imagine) a mixture of curious cyclists and well-heeled bike-shy commuters. Then it'll be time to reassess and maybe make a new version. The really interesting question was posed at the beginning of the GCN video: If these sold in numbers equal to conventional e-bikes, would the EAPC legislation be redrawn to exclude them / create a new class?
Riding a bike through a city is like navigating the collective neural pathways of a vast global mind.

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #27 on: 13 May, 2021, 07:17:43 pm »
In the end it doesn't really matter any more than the pedal reflectors.

Well said.

The really interesting question was posed at the beginning of the GCN video: If these sold in numbers equal to conventional e-bikes, would the EAPC legislation be redrawn to exclude them / create a new class?

Or possibly even to de-restrict them, as seems to be happening for the scooters...

fd3

« Reply #28 on: 15 May, 2021, 12:16:03 am »
~10:20, Hank signals left by wiping his knee with his hand.  Maybe needs to do his bikeability training.
Also, Leffe is not pronounced "Leff-eh?".
Strange things are afoot at the circle K.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #29 on: 15 May, 2021, 09:46:48 am »
The really interesting question was posed at the beginning of the GCN video: If these sold in numbers equal to conventional e-bikes, would the EAPC legislation be redrawn to exclude them / create a new class?

Or possibly even to de-restrict them, as seems to be happening for the scooters...
And in effect for e-bikes, given how common it is that they don't cut out at 25km/h and/or give power without pedalling. Even respectable forumites have such modified e-bikes!

Or did you mean there are legal moves afoot to officially de-restrict e-scooters? If so, spill the beans.
Riding a bike through a city is like navigating the collective neural pathways of a vast global mind.

« Reply #30 on: 15 May, 2021, 09:58:53 am »
When the government approved escooter trials they used modified EAPC (electric assist pedal cycle) rules for the scooters. The max power was increased from 250W to 500W, the max weight was increased from 35kg to 55kg, the requirement for pedalling was removed. The max assist speed was not changed.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/e-scooter-trials-guidance-for-local-areas-and-rental-operators/e-scooter-trials-guidance-for-local-areas-and-rental-operators#vehicledesign

I suppose its possible that some of these changes might apply to bikes in future.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #31 on: 15 May, 2021, 10:24:14 am »
Okay, I'd think of that as altering the definitions rather than derestricting. They've created a separate class of small electrically powered scooter, with slightly different regulations than electrically assisted pedal cycles (in part cos it doesn't have pedals!. In fact, they must have already created other such classes, as the Drycycle is well over 35kg (I think a weight of about 100kg was quoted in the video, though that seems absurdly high. Maybe it was 100lb? That would be about 45kg.)

In practical terms, a cargo e-bike category with power and weight similar to the e-scooter regulations would be highly practical.

« Reply #32 on: 15 May, 2021, 11:04:16 am »
The latest regulations don't have any weight limits for EAPCs. And they are now allowed to have more than 3 wheels. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/electrically-assisted-pedal-cycles-eapcs/electrically-assisted-pedal-cycles-eapcs-in-great-britain-information-sheet

Power ratings for motors are pretty meaningless anyway. It is based on the maximum continuous rated power of the motor for 30 minutes. So the power for 1 minute or power for 10 seconds could be much higher.
Maybe more useful to compare the torque.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #33 on: 01 June, 2021, 11:44:15 am »
I would think it's an (expensive) eco alternative to the motor car as personal transport, not a bike for hobby cyclists. Well, its name hints at something, weather protection. It's a big thing for most people. And you get more crash protection than on any bike.

Quite.  It's like a Smart car: Something I've always seen as a car for people who don't have a decent coat and a bicycle, and largely pointless for the sort of things I usually want to use a car for.

But a lot of people don't have a decent coat and a bicycle, and just want their little personal bubble to drive around in without getting cold or wet.  Hence the popularity of silly little cars with no luggage space.

Where this falls down is the cost (maybe if you could lease it for £100/month or something?), the weirdness (probably an insurmountable barrier, but the crash protection is obviously an attempt to normalise it for the motorist's point of view), and the complete inability to put any children or much in the way of shopping in it.

I managed to get a Trice Q into a Smart Roadster...
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

fd3

« Reply #34 on: 01 June, 2021, 07:03:19 pm »
I reckon 50-75% of the cars on my street would be better off as smart cars.  They could park without resorting to double yellows or parking actually on the corner and most users commute, alone, to work.  I don't know how many of my neighbours live within commuting distance to work, but many people I know spend an hour on the motorway on their commute which would be less convenient on a bike.
Most people with proper cars only use the additional proper car benefits rarely (unless they have kids).
Strange things are afoot at the circle K.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #35 on: 17 July, 2021, 08:24:11 pm »
The Drycycle has competition! However, the PodRide is not yet available in a electrically assisted version nor is the price known.
https://cleantechnica.com/2021/02/01/5-years-later-the-podride-quadracycle-might-finally-be-ready-to-order-in-2021/

« Reply #36 on: Today at 02:29:24 pm »
The Drycycle has competition! However, the PodRide is not yet available in a electrically assisted version nor is the price known.
https://cleantechnica.com/2021/02/01/5-years-later-the-podride-quadracycle-might-finally-be-ready-to-order-in-2021/

Has no-one told them that they are about 90 years too late?  :facepalm: Bring back the Vélocar!!!  https://www.lepetitbraquet.fr/chron19_mochet.html  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:  I wonder what he would have done in a world with decent electric motors.

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #37 on: Today at 03:10:25 pm »
The brushed DC motors they had were perfectly sufficient, if somewhat higher maintenance than an induction motor.  It's the batteries that were rubbish, and the lack of semiconductor switching was an inconvenience and loss of efficiency they didn't know they had.

If battery tech had got there a hundred years earlier, it seems entirely probable that the development of cars would have continued to be electric, with combustion engines being mostly a stationary and boats/locomotives thing.

(If the transistor had got there earlier, perhaps we'd have seen more hybrid drivetrains instead of all the clutches and gearboxes?)