Author Topic: 2020/2021 Olympics  (Read 13027 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: 2020/2021 Olympics
« Reply #75 on: 04 August, 2021, 04:59:05 pm »
My old chum Charlie used to say "I'm going to cast a bronze" when heading for the cludge.  Nowadays, when I hear that someone won a bronze...
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #76 on: 04 August, 2021, 05:26:16 pm »

Well that's one way to stand holding a gun... If it works for you, go for it!

J
I used to shoot target pistol (10m air, 50m free).

That is the standard pose. Either hand in pocket or hooked on waistband. The pistols are heavy, so having the off hand like that balances you up.

Trivia:
The '10' in the 10m air pistol target is about the size of a pencil lead. Elite shooters will hardly ever miss.
The '10' in the 50m free pistol is the same relative size, subtended out to 50m. Flight time to target is greater and the wind can affect the bullet.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #77 on: 04 August, 2021, 05:32:24 pm »
Hasn't had enough publicity.

Lisa Carrington, NZ sprint kayaker, has dominated the 200m event for 3 olympics. I think she's unbeaten at that distance in international events.

So it isn't remarkable that she won again this year.

What is remarkable, is that 90 minutes later she got in a K2 boat and won the K2 500m event.

Absolutely incredible recovery rate and phenomenal speed.

There is a faint possibility that she will get a 3rd gold later this week (but unlikely, she doesn't do as well at the longer sprint events).

[Edit]
Achieved the unbelievable. 3 Golds.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #78 on: 04 August, 2021, 06:38:37 pm »
Of all the water sports I’ve ever watched or participated in, I think sprint kayaking and canoeing really are the most silly. I’m not decrying the athleticism or balance required to compete, but I really don’t ‘get it’ as a sport. That said, I’d rather try and balance a Sprint canoe than have another go on a jet ski.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #79 on: 04 August, 2021, 10:14:49 pm »
GB up in the medal table thanks to rich people's 'sports'.

« Reply #80 on: 05 August, 2021, 09:15:34 am »
Of all the water sports I’ve ever watched or participated in, I think sprint kayaking and canoeing really are the most silly. I’m not decrying the athleticism or balance required to compete, but I really don’t ‘get it’ as a sport. That said, I’d rather try and balance a Sprint canoe than have another go on a jet ski.

How are they any more 'silly' than people running around a track? Or people on bikes riding in circles?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #81 on: 05 August, 2021, 10:52:44 am »

How are they any more 'silly' than people running around a track? Or people on bikes riding in circles?
Last time I looked running around in circles and riding bikes in circles didn’t take place in water.  ;D
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #82 on: 05 August, 2021, 11:34:13 am »

Last time I looked running around in circles and riding bikes in circles didn’t take place in water.  ;D
Sorry, I don't get it.

All watersports are silly?

Absolutely accept that not everyone likes watersports.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #83 on: 05 August, 2021, 12:43:43 pm »
If something can be muscle-propelled, people will race with it and someone else will give them gimcrack medals and get rich hawking the TV rights.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #84 on: 05 August, 2021, 01:39:06 pm »
Don't we have a 'silly sports that actually exist' thread?

I'd nominate Dressage.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #85 on: 05 August, 2021, 01:52:36 pm »

I'd nominate Dressage.
Id’d have to agree with you there. In fact of all the Olympic sports, equestrianism is probably the furthest away from the Olympic ideals as you can get. Irrespective of your horsemanship, if you can’t afford the very high prices to buy the right horse, you ain’t going to be competitive. It’s not like other sports where you compete at the lower levels with lesser equipment then upgrade your equipment for the marginal gains as you reach the top echelons. You’ve only got to look at any of the horsey people…
Sorry, is my prejudice showing  :-[

« Reply #86 on: 05 August, 2021, 01:54:44 pm »

I'd nominate Dressage.

Yes. Guess what the first one mentioned is? ;D

« Reply #87 on: 05 August, 2021, 02:00:52 pm »
I'm not a fan of equestrianism but want to point out that here in Lancashire, on the edge of the Pennines, loads of (mostly female) working class people ride and compete.  As for the nobs and those at the Olympics, I believe it's possible to be competing on a horse that is actually owned by a consortium and you don't actually own it at all.

Agree that dressage is really silly and only morbidly fascinating.  Down there with underwater hockey, I think.  I've never actually watched underwater hockey but I wouldn't mind betting there's a special dress-code for women......

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #88 on: 05 August, 2021, 02:51:35 pm »
Ok,well I'm currently watching a sport where you perform some sort of martial art against an imaginary opponent.   ???
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #89 on: 05 August, 2021, 02:52:05 pm »
There was a classic piece of commentary saying that Equestrian X had a gold medal from the team event in a previous games, and now they had earned one all on their own. Which somewhat leaves out the horse!

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #90 on: 05 August, 2021, 02:55:05 pm »
Ok,well I'm currently watching a sport where you perform some sort of martial art against an imaginary opponent.   ???
Tai chi?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #91 on: 05 August, 2021, 03:57:24 pm »

That'll be the kata discipline of karate.

Kata - which means 'shape' or 'model' - is a solo discipline, in which competitors, or karatekas, are judged on a series of pre-approved choreographed offensive and defensive movements.

BBC: What are the new sports at the Tokyo Olympic Games?
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #92 on: 05 August, 2021, 06:14:21 pm »
Possibly lobbied for with a view to boosting a future home nations medal tally?

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #93 on: 05 August, 2021, 06:28:06 pm »
I've never actually watched underwater hockey but I wouldn't mind betting there's a special dress-code for women......

Women - swimsuit, goggles, flippers, snorkel, mouth guard, gloves, socks, sports bra optional.

Men - trunks, goggles, flippers, snorkel, mouth guard, gloves, socks, sports bra optional.

« Reply #94 on: 05 August, 2021, 07:15:18 pm »
 ;D

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #95 on: 05 August, 2021, 08:20:54 pm »
I've never actually watched underwater hockey but I wouldn't mind betting there's a special dress-code for women......

Women - swimsuit, goggles, flippers, snorkel, mouth guard, gloves, socks, sports bra optional.

Men - trunks, goggles, flippers, snorkel, mouth guard, gloves, socks, sports bra optional.

Cap. Water polo cap that covers the ears to provide protection. When I played I never bothered with the mouth guard tho.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #96 on: 05 August, 2021, 08:53:29 pm »
I think we should continue with dressage as an olympic sport but change the rules slightly so that the human has to ride a bison.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #97 on: 05 August, 2021, 08:55:54 pm »
A couple of people at my scuba club tried valiantly to get octipush to be a regular part of pool nights, but most of us preferred to use the time to natter and plan diving trips. They gave up eventually.  ;D

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #98 on: 05 August, 2021, 09:00:16 pm »
A couple of people at my scuba club tried valiantly to get octipush to be a regular part of pool nights, but most of us preferred to use the time to natter and plan diving trips. They gave up eventually.  ;D

I used to play 3 nights a week when I was younger and part of a dive club.

Fantastic exercise. I have never been fitter.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #99 on: 05 August, 2021, 10:04:24 pm »

Cap. Water polo cap that covers the ears to provide protection. When I played I never bothered with the mouth guard tho.

J

We never had caps or mouth guards but that was back in the 1980s and only a couple of years after I had played as a hockey goalie with the only protection being an MCN sellotaped to each leg and my fencing jacket with cup guards.

Ah, back in the day...