Author Topic: The Good News / Bad News Thread  (Read 202201 times)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Re: The Good News / Bad News Thread
« Reply #2575 on: November 18, 2019, 10:06:25 pm »
 :(
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #2576 on: November 19, 2019, 06:01:53 pm »
BN: I think I've got the lurgy.  This has prevented me from seeking grout and waste fittings with non-age-hardened gaskets and such.

BN: Barakta's Thunderbirds-effect uppy-downy desk malfunctioned, with one side failing in the 'down' capacity.  After failed attempts at turning it off and on again etc, we removed the top[1] in an attempt to apply persuasion to the left-side lifting column without it being under load.  Long story short, the linear actuator self-destructed, and I'm now looking at an armature, some very strong magnets, and a deeply suspicious circlip.  I'm not sure how I could further dismantle the motor in order to correctly align the brushes on reassembly, but I'm reasonably sure that putting it back together afterwards involves a hydraulic press.

GN: It's got a 5 year warranty, with about 2 weeks left on it.

BN: This involves dealing with Posturite, a company whose general uselessness strikes fear into the heart of barakta in her professional capacity.

GN: I've found a supplier for the relevant part, if that doesn't work out.

BN: Wrong colour (it's an obsolete model) and the best part of £400

[1] Incompetently, causing assorted minor injuries that I'll undoubtedly feel in the morning.  Fortunately the heavy bit landed on my knee, rather than barakta's arms.
Careful, Kim. Your sarcasm's showing...

« Reply #2577 on: November 28, 2019, 11:49:13 am »
Bad news:  Whilst rummaging in my kit cupboard I knocked my stainless steel vacuum flask off the shelf.   It landed on something hard & sustained a deep dent.   Filling it with boiling water showed the outside getting scorchio at the site of the ding.

Good news: By dint of some gentle squeezing I was able to un-ding the thing.  I filled it back up with hot water & this was still finger hot 18 hours later. 
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #2578 on: November 28, 2019, 01:21:25 pm »
GN: Lurgy fucked off, and I was able to obtain some new seals for the unobtanium-sized bath trap (the mere purchase of which appears to have scared the original into not leaking), and some grout with which I have touched up the dodgy bits, and re-attached a bit of broken tile in the kitchen.

GN: Discovered that replacement rubber bits for shower screens are available in a range of fucking sizes.  Obtained and (with the help of barakta and harsh language) fitted one, which now seals better than the original did.  No screws were lost down the plughole in the process.

GN: Posturite responded to assorted stern emails from barakta by shipping a new part, so I was able to re-mantle the desk in working order.  Barakta can now do her Thunderbirds thing, and I'm no longer tripping over kettle leads and bits of awkwardly-shaped steel.

BN: She's suffering from the effects of a week of bad ergonomics, and has a backlog of work to do.

BN: I think my lurgy's flaring up again.

GN: The weather's about to get properly wintery anyway.

Cudzoziemiec

• Dormant but requires tea
« Reply #2579 on: November 29, 2019, 08:22:41 pm »
BN: Yesterday, my phone stopped working. The power switch that activates the screen stopped responding, so if someone phoned me(!!!) I could answer but I couldn't make calls(!!!), send texts, use apps, etc. Taking the back off and poking the switch with a sharp object sometimes worked and sometimes didn't and was never practical.

GN: Today it works as it should. Don't know why.
At some point in the ride, you might find yourself in Osaka with Spanish speakers where you had expected Edinburgh talking Greek. This does not mean you are lost, or even off route.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2580 on: November 30, 2019, 12:49:23 pm »
Temporary phone issues are sometimes caused by proximity to a demon.  Once the demon is banished the phone will start working again.  It's true.  I read it in a book.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #2581 on: November 30, 2019, 01:32:44 pm »
The sheer amount of wireless communications in a modern smartphone means they're demonic by default.

Cudzoziemiec

• Dormant but requires tea
« Reply #2582 on: November 30, 2019, 01:51:46 pm »
Temporary phone issues are sometimes caused by proximity to a demon.  Once the demon is banished the phone will start working again.  It's true.  I read it in a book.
So ian's written it after all!
At some point in the ride, you might find yourself in Osaka with Spanish speakers where you had expected Edinburgh talking Greek. This does not mean you are lost, or even off route.

spesh

• It's starting to look a lot like Cthulhumas!
« Reply #2583 on: November 30, 2019, 05:16:17 pm »
The sheer amount of wireless communications in a modern smartphone means they're demonic by default.

Demonic possession might go some way to explaining the fun and games I've had in the past tuning and testing amplifiers operating in the S to Ku-bands (2-18 GHz).  :demon:
"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And when you look long into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you." ~ Friedrich Nietzsche