Author Topic: Home energy saving tips /ideas...  (Read 99559 times)

Re: Home energy saving tips /ideas...
« Reply #700 on: 17 October, 2022, 02:43:16 pm »
Now have a Smart plug on the washing machine.  1hr / 40C was was 0.38kW/h, & 15min / 30C was 0.15kW/h.
---

I notice for Sept 22 our gas use was ~180kw/h, previous 3yrs our average has been ~400kw/h for Sept.  So heading in right direction...
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #701 on: 17 October, 2022, 06:33:10 pm »
Andy, do you really have a gas-powered washing machine?

« Reply #702 on: 21 October, 2022, 01:27:38 pm »
 ;D  Ok, I admit defeat - don't think they actually exist...

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #703 on: 21 October, 2022, 02:26:35 pm »
I've seen gas (heated) tumble driers before now.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #704 on: 21 October, 2022, 02:30:32 pm »

They are an Americanism I thought...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #705 on: 21 October, 2022, 02:34:30 pm »
I remember the TV adverts:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FBvUzxqrHI

Apparently you can still buy them:
https://www.rgbdirect.co.uk/Products/Appliances/Dryer/White-Knight/ECO43AW

(ETA: It says discontinued)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #706 on: 21 October, 2022, 02:36:38 pm »

Probably that feeble leftpondian anbarism again.  In the UK they're mostly an industrial thing, sort of thing you find in laundrettes.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #707 on: 21 October, 2022, 02:50:39 pm »

Probably that feeble leftpondian anbarism again.  In the UK they're mostly an industrial thing, sort of thing you find in laundrettes.
Mine was in a campsite in the Lake District, where Getting Things Dry is a much sought after requirement.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #708 on: 21 October, 2022, 05:19:27 pm »
White Knight was the main brand.  The main issue was installation cost - it would take a while to get back the cost of running a new pipe from the meter and connecting it up, then paying again when it needs replacing.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #709 on: 21 October, 2022, 10:52:38 pm »
Vague recollection of White Knight having some sort of sponsorship deal with handcyclist Kevin Doran back when he was setting records on a bike built by my grate frend Mr Woolrich</ob_cycling>
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #710 on: 28 October, 2022, 01:01:08 pm »
I just phoned Ecotricity to ask them for a refund of the >£600 belonging to me that was sitting in their account. This they have agreed to do, no prob.

I also discussed with the operative whether Ecotricity have any suggested partners who might install solar panels/domestic battery type of gubbins. Apparently they have an arm calls Microtricity and they are going to phone me back.

"It might take a while for them to respond," said she.

"Not a problem," I replied. "Now we are going int the winter months there won't be a lot generated anyway, so there's no rush."

"And the clocks are going back this weekend!"
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #711 on: 28 October, 2022, 01:09:46 pm »
Had my solar PV surveyor attend this morning. As installation is to be over 4kW it will take 8-12 weeks thereafter for system installation to be approved by the Electricity provider (Ovo). Not buying battery atm but will install a hybrid inverter to allow me to do so more readily in the future. Ovo are planning to install systems in future but no commencement date has been announced as yet. Eon already install PV systems but they seem expensive.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #712 on: 28 October, 2022, 01:11:07 pm »
"And the clocks are going back this weekend!"

Saves moving the panels 15 degrees to the left.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #713 on: 28 October, 2022, 01:15:16 pm »
While we're on the subject of energy, I attended the Ripple Kirk Hill co-op AGM on zoom the other night.  I've never seen someone look so tired as when a question was asked about the possible implications of having a new energy minister.

They do seem to be making steady progress on the windmill-construction front.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #714 on: 28 October, 2022, 01:28:30 pm »
Persimmon have done a deal to put in one turbine* for every 20,000 houses they are permitted to build?

*in a safe Labour constituency
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #715 on: 02 November, 2022, 07:48:28 pm »
Our smart meter displays a bar graph covering 14 months' worth of energy use one each for gas & electricity. Every month for the past year at least, we have managed to reduce our use on a month-by-equivalent month basis.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #716 on: 02 November, 2022, 08:00:40 pm »
we are saving so much at the moment, we are over £1000 in credit  with combined power supplier.  I'm sure that will change by March tho.

« Reply #717 on: 02 November, 2022, 08:46:47 pm »
Last Oct we used 860kW/h Gas, this Oct it's been 260kW/h.  Mind you it's been v.mild & so no central heating.  Thermostat (on timer) has now been moved up to 17C ish :)

felstedrider

« Reply #718 on: 02 November, 2022, 09:09:49 pm »
While we're on the subject of energy, I attended the Ripple Kirk Hill co-op AGM on zoom the other night.  I've never seen someone look so tired as when a question was asked about the possible implications of having a new energy minister.

They do seem to be making steady progress on the windmill-construction front.

I had to walk a fairly conservative lawyer through regulatory risk on a new build UK renewable project.  At that point I didn’t know who the PM would be the following week…..

Still waiting for a proper view on support for new build on-shore wind and solar.   Price capping is rumoured but the key will be where the cap is set and how the scheme will be administered.   I have questions.

(On top of the 41 houses going in opposite me there’s a pre-planning solar farm just behind that.  It’s massive.   This is testing my support for renewables a little.)

« Reply #719 on: 02 November, 2022, 09:22:20 pm »
The Loop app tells me that my "phantom load" (ie background) use is in the top 20% of similar households (not sure whether that is 2 person or 4 bed) which left me a little crestfallen, as I thought I was doing quite well.

It's very clear that my background power use is 100w, and I realise that's now £300/year but for that I power:

Going from the cellar up:
2 x freezers
1 x Burglar alarm
1 x Cable modem
1 x Wifi hub
1 x aerial amp/distribution
2 x smart thermostats
1 x weather thingy
1 x Big TV on standby
1 x wired handsfree phone
1 x American style fridge freezer
1 x Ovens
1 x Microwave
4 x chargers
1 x Small TV on standby
1 x PVR on standby
2 x Smart speakers
1 x Smart screen thing
1 x radio alarm
3 x cordless phone and 1 base station
1 x CCTV system

Obviously the Fridge/freezers take the lion share of that, I thought I was doing rather well at 100wH

I dug into it a little more and saw that the app thinks my phantom usage is costing £650 a year, which doesn't jive in any way with these numbers. So, I read their methodology - "Loop calculates your phantom load by looking at periods of your day with very low usage and measuring how low the usage is. These low usage periods can be from quiet points during the day or overnight, depending on how you use energy at home." and the penny dropped. We put our dishwasher on overnight, and often the washing machine on the long eco cycle. Their algorithm must have taken those into account. I can go back to being reasonably sanguine about it. (The background TVs, the only items which could be powered down are low standby usage)

fruitcake

• some kind of fruitcake
« Reply #720 on: 02 November, 2022, 09:48:57 pm »
It's difficult to keep turning everything off, especially when there are clocks that reset to midnight when their power supply is cut. I've gradually been getting rid of household appliances that have built-in clocks just so I can switch things off and not be plagued by blinking LED clocks. There's a vintage that's particularly affected by the curse of the digital clock without a back-up battery. Stuff made in the 1990s and into the 2000s.

A friend talks of rewiring his kitchen to put everything on a single switch he can flip as he leaves the room, just to be sure nothing remains on 'standby'. I've thought it might be nice to switch off the entire house when going out. If only it wasn't for that freezer.

« Reply #721 on: 02 November, 2022, 09:58:15 pm »
It's all a cost-benefit thingy really, as long as I can afford to, having those powered items is a choice. Also, older appliances thought nothing of having a 10w draw on standby, these days,  that's much more likely to be mW

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #722 on: 02 November, 2022, 10:07:38 pm »
A friend talks of rewiring his kitchen to put everything on a single switch he can flip as he leaves the room, just to be sure nothing remains on 'standby'. I've thought it might be nice to switch off the entire house when going out. If only it wasn't for that freezer.

Both doable, of course.  But you can buy quite a lot of electrons for the cost of that rewiring, and how much stray load is there in your average kitchen?

I do have the smartplug on the microwave programmed to switch off when we're in bed / the house is empty, which saves a whole 2 watts (1.5W when you factor in the power drawn by the smartplug itself).

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #723 on: 02 November, 2022, 10:13:55 pm »
Our electricity usage is about 30% down on this time last year but I expect that's because we got rid of the shitty Beko electric cooker and replaced it with a gas hob and a modern leccy oven.
Don't really have enough data to compare the gas being as we only have 13 months data here and this month has been really mild but will be interesting to see if the smart thermostat makes a noticeable difference by the end of the year.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #724 on: 02 November, 2022, 10:16:14 pm »
I do have the smartplug on the microwave programmed to switch off when we're in bed / the house is empty, which saves a whole 2 watts (1.5W when you factor in the power drawn by the smartplug itself).

I have wondered if it was worth having the telly on a smart plug being as it's off for most of the day but can't be arsed doing the maths.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.