Author Topic: Solidlights upgrade (DIY)  (Read 53275 times)

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
Re: Solidlights upgrade (DIY)
« Reply #225 on: 27 January, 2009, 08:20:16 am »
Hope I've not buggered the emitters then  :(
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

border-rider

« Reply #226 on: 27 January, 2009, 08:21:51 am »
You'll be fine - I'm quite impressed that you managed to solder them while they were sitting on a f'off big heatsink though :)

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #227 on: 27 January, 2009, 08:30:27 am »
From shame to pride in a couple of posts - you know how to stroke a girl's ego, MV  :D

« Reply #228 on: 27 January, 2009, 10:17:27 am »

Despite treating myself to a lovely new 18W soldering iron, I was dismayed to discover that I still can't solder for toffee. 

Could also be due to new regulations that ban the sale of multicore solder which means there is now little acid flux (to help the solder run) and little lead (cos that dangerous). 

« Reply #229 on: 27 January, 2009, 11:09:02 am »
You'll find tubs of flux in plumbers' supplies. It's very effective.

Chris S

« Reply #230 on: 27 January, 2009, 11:24:31 am »
You'll find tubs of flux in plumbers' supplies. It's very effective.

And when mixed with capacitors you can make a time machine  :thumbsup:

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #231 on: 27 January, 2009, 11:33:26 am »
Having been soldering (on and off) most of my life, I find it much more difficult these days with the lead-free solder - higher melting point.  Frankly I wouldn't consider an 18W iron to be man enough for the job, last time I did a similar led upgrade I used a 50W iron.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #232 on: 27 January, 2009, 11:59:13 am »
I bought my iron here: Main Menu --- Antex

According to Antex, their 18W iron is the most appropriate variety for delicate electronics jobs as their products are very efficient and heat up better than a lot of lower quality ones. 

A traditional 50W iron is more in the automotive category.

richie

• Just sleeping...
« Reply #233 on: 27 January, 2009, 12:15:15 pm »
Mine was very easy to solder using a gas-powered iron and a small tip (stars not attached to heat-sink).  Nowhere near 50w which IMO is a bit overkill for a delicate LED.

On another note I test-rode my lights last night using two 6 degree lenses.  I'm seriously thinking of finding a way to dim the thing when needed as it is seriously bright...  a lot more forward throw and still enough washy near-light to see with.
Sheep we're off again.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #234 on: 27 January, 2009, 10:47:47 pm »
Oh Arse  :(

Only the left hand emitter (i.e. the one furthest from the on/off switch) works.  Neither does the standlight.  The working one's bloody bright, though  :thumbsup:

I'm presuming that this is down to my shoddy soldering, so I'm going to take it apart and re-do the wires to the secondary emitter.

By the way - should I hot-glue the lenses in, or will they be okay just snapped in there?

border-rider

« Reply #235 on: 27 January, 2009, 10:55:45 pm »

By the way - should I hot-glue the lenses in, or will they be okay just snapped in there?

We just snapped ours in. They stayed put all through Saturday OK.

« Reply #236 on: 28 January, 2009, 12:48:33 am »
I gave my upgraded 6+6 setup a better test tonight on my 25 mile commute home from work.  This was on a mixture of roads, but mainly unlit lanes with a bit of unlit (quiet) A road thrown in.  It was pissing down the whole way too.

The beam pattern with 2 6 degree lenses is very similar indeed to that of the original soildlight, it's justthat  now there is twice as much light.  Its absolutely fine to ride by in the wet, and I found I was just riding at normal daylight speeds without thinking about it.  That's a useful improvement over the origianl, where wet rides involved slowing down a bit on descents. 

The only time I wanted more light was in villages with ineffective streetlighting, and where there was a lot of extraneous light from houses and vehicles about -  I found then that the Solidlight had to work hard to "compete", although it was still fine to ride by.  I did come through some foggy patches coming over the hills, and that realy brought home how much light this thing kicks out - it was like having a world war 2 searchlight in front of me.

The only downside is that some moisture has got inside the front window, although the light operation hasn't been affected, and it may be condensation from where I had it apart.   I'm going to do some more work to waterproof it, as this could be showstopper for overnight audax rides if it proves unreliable because of moisture ingress.  I'll give the O rings a good clean and try and get a thin bead of clear silicone sealant round the lens cover, to see if that sorts it out.

Justin(e)

• On my way out of here
« Reply #237 on: 28 January, 2009, 12:58:32 am »
I have a degree in electronic engineering, but I couldn't solder to save my soul.

Consequently, I got one of the technicians to do that for me yesterday.  So all the electronics were tested and working.   I then retrieved the bits and went to put it back together.  The only problem was that I splashed the heat sink paste all over the place, and when I realised that I needed to file down the lens holders some more, it got everywhere.   :sick:

I'll have to use up another lunchtime tomorrow. 

[Memo to self] Get the mech engineers to do the filing - they'll know how to use those metal thingies in the tool box. [/Memo]

Chris N

« Reply #238 on: 29 January, 2009, 01:00:02 pm »
How long did it take for Deal Extreme to deliver the LED's?  I order mine over a week ago and they still haven't turned up.

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #239 on: 29 January, 2009, 01:04:38 pm »
about 12 days - came from Hong Kong.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #240 on: 29 January, 2009, 01:07:41 pm »
Well over a week.  Thinking about it, something along the lines of a fortnight.

Chris N

« Reply #241 on: 29 January, 2009, 01:08:18 pm »
Ah, thanks.  My order is still 'waiting for supplier'.  I guess you lot cleared them out of the LEDs.

Tiger

« Reply #242 on: 29 January, 2009, 01:54:26 pm »
Guys - if anyone is interested I have here a cree upgrade with current solidlight optics, mounted on heatsink with wires ready to solder into the control panel. It was sent back by Martin James when I replaced my DIY upgrade with their XB2 job.
Going free - ready to install - just PM me your address if you want it.
(It is not as bad as my descriptions above!).

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #243 on: 29 January, 2009, 02:13:35 pm »
Can I bagsy it if I've buggered up my upgrade?

I'm going to have another go tonight.  I suppose at least that means that they'll do the factory upgrade for people that have already opened up their unit and done a DIY job themselves first!

Tiger

« Reply #244 on: 29 January, 2009, 02:32:30 pm »
Ploddinpedro snapped it up a bit sharpish within minutes of the post - so be careful with that iron girl.

Tiger

« Reply #245 on: 29 January, 2009, 02:43:23 pm »
I have to say their factory job is pretty brill. On the cycle path in Hyde Pk has peds diving for cover, dogs freezing, oncoming cyclists veering off clutching their eyes and completely freaks anyone I come up behind at speed. On flash it makes streetsigns strobe at 500 yds. I have not had an epileptic fit yet but it can only be a matter of time.

Justin(e)

• On my way out of here
« Reply #246 on: 30 January, 2009, 12:31:59 am »
Finished mine in time for the Willy Warmer.

I'll be going slow to finish late and test the new optics.

BTW - the initial post contained all the instructions I needed.

Ta Andrew_S

« Reply #247 on: 01 February, 2009, 07:54:15 pm »
Just did mine.  Took me a while, but mainly because I managed to get that bloody thermal paste everywhere.

Took it out for a spin and was amazed how bright one of the leds was, the second one kicked in at about 12mph, but not as brightly.  Then I hit a bump and the thing started flickering on and off like a demented lighthouse.  So I did a big bunnyhop and it came on again  :thumbsup:

Arse.

Justin(e)

• On my way out of here
« Reply #248 on: 01 February, 2009, 08:11:37 pm »
Tested mine for several hours last night and they worked a treat. 

I find it difficult to compare the relative difference of two epistomological sources unless they are side by side.  Eg. wine tastes, speaker sounds, or lighbulbs.

Phil (of this parish) confirmed that he had a pre-upgrade light beside an upgraded one and that the new one was at least twice as good.  All I know, is that I would not want to give up my current setup.  For those of you scared of messing with the innards of a £150 pair of lights - just do it.  I am more than happy to assist if you need any help.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #249 on: 02 February, 2009, 10:24:34 am »
I took my (finally) fully functional and DIY-upgraded Solidlights on the Willy Warmer at the weekend.  We had several hours of night riding in nice, clear weather.

The standlight took a little longer than usual to charge up and come on, but other than that I was really impressed.  Phil and I did a side by side comparison with my light up against his original 2007 spec Solidlights.  We both felt that the upgrade probably doubled the available output and made it punch into the night by as much as twice the throw.  Really impressive.

Clearly, the Solidlights are just a pair of high output emitters with a couple of basic plastic lenses to try and put the glare more or less in the same place.  They're good because there's just so much light and because they make the most of the available current from the hub using some clever circuitry.  They're sort of like the submachine gun approach to lighting, whereas my IQ Cyo is more like a precision rifle.  The Solidlight does well because it throws so much light downrange (sorry, down the road).  If Martin Jones could design a reflector to properly focus the beam, it would be truly awesome.

I found the upgrade fiddly and moderately difficult, but I'm a bit cack-handed with electronics.  Having said that, if I can do it, anyone can.  Armed with all the great knowledge from this thread, I thoroughly recommend having a crack at it because you'll end up with pretty much cutting edge-lighting again.