Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2204947 times)

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #10675 on: 21 December, 2015, 03:00:32 pm »
Just fitted a pair of tyres to a Boardman road bike. The front brake is running v-brake pads. Most of the front CXP22 rim is distributed evenly over the front forks.

When I cleaned most of the sh!te off the wheel rim I discovered what I thought was pitting in the brake surface. No. The brake pads are running so low that they have removed most of the Mavic decals and the 'pitting' is in fact a series of holes.

This customer is one of those who NEVER cleans the bike and is always far too 'busy' to get round to it.

He needs a new pair of wheels and there is no way on $deity's little blue planet that I'm pumping the front tyre up to anything like normal operating pressure.

I predict a future which will be quite short and involve a journey in a large bread van with blue lights and green stickers.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

fuzzy

« Reply #10676 on: 21 December, 2015, 03:13:41 pm »
A stack of dead furniture into a pile of destroyed dead furniture which has now filled a 15.2 cubic meter skip to the gills (and beyond). Fuzzy aches a tad now, though the ache is offset by the afterglow of percussive maintenance ;D

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #10677 on: 21 December, 2015, 04:47:36 pm »
The bike has just been collected. He insists that I fitted the pads.

I have told him to combine sex & travel . . .
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #10678 on: 25 December, 2015, 03:09:51 pm »
cut the tongues out of my road shoes, as they were too thick and sturdy and caused excessive pressure on tarsal boss. feels much better now O:-)

« Reply #10679 on: 25 December, 2015, 06:17:16 pm »
After getting two punctures in a week in my rear tyre (after 3000 puncture-free miles), I swapped the front tyre, which still has a bit of life left in it, to the rear, and put the only spare I had to hand (a Michelin Service Course - wouldn't be my first choice at this time of year, but needs must) on the front. New GP 4 Seasons have been ordered, so this is just a temporary fix.

« Reply #10680 on: 26 December, 2015, 07:33:36 pm »
Swopped out 13-29 cassette for a 12-34 cassette so that I can get up the 20% Glascwm pitch without coronary failure ::-) And the remaining 2000m ascent scheduled on a Cambrian 100 perm  :o Cleaned rear wheel and wiped mud off spokes for improved aerodynamics  :facepalm:
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #10681 on: 26 December, 2015, 10:40:02 pm »
My drinks cabinet  ;D

Took half of it to Christmas at my Bro-in-law to make cocktails, now back home.

This time ready for my dad, with the Swedish single malt and the 12 year old Hibiki making up the numbers.  8 available if you include the cask strength Glenmorangie I opened on the night of my son's birth over 13 years ago.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #10682 on: 26 December, 2015, 10:53:39 pm »
Cleared a load of books and other items destined for eBay out from under Mrs C's desk so I could get access to some wiring that needs finishing. It just needs plastering over but I'll do that tomorrow as it's a bit dark and I'd prefer to have that circuit switched off while I'm messing about with wet plaster around electrics. Not that that stops me from running an extension from another socket ...

Mrs C is finally, I think, starting to realise how difficult it is to get anything done in a house full of hoarded rubbish stuff that might be useful crap so we might finally get the house tidied and a lot of jobs finished.

We have two ears and one mouth for a reason. We should do twice as much listening as talking.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #10683 on: 29 December, 2015, 12:46:36 am »
had my first mechanical in ages - dropped the chain despite the chain keeper, gouged the frame all around the bottom bracket :-[. so readjusted the chainkeeper in hope that it does the job it is supposed to do. also cleaned the dirt picked up from mucky country lanes.

« Reply #10684 on: 29 December, 2015, 02:23:05 pm »
Small plastering job finally done. If it hasn't fallen out yet - which is a distinct possibiity it isn't the freshest bag of plaster on the planet.

Just googled 'old plaster'. It seems there's also a high probability it won't harden. I thought old plaster just tended to be lumpy and difficult to work. It seems it absorbs moisture and 'goes off' in its powdered form then behaves just like new plaster - except it doesn't set. Bugger.

I hate plastering. The next plastering job will be an entire room so there'll be a pro coming to do that. Wardrobe niche to build first.
We have two ears and one mouth for a reason. We should do twice as much listening as talking.

« Reply #10685 on: 29 December, 2015, 04:16:07 pm »
Spent 4 hours washing and polishing the car. Didn't change to my winter wheels though.  Long range forecast is unsettled / mixed to end of Jan, so winter (hopefully) will be limited to Feb, and if it snows too much I can WFH  :thumbsup:

Did, for the first time, apply sealant wax to the (summer) wheels tho.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #10686 on: 29 December, 2015, 09:12:38 pm »
Jet washed the patio and mowed the lawns.  :o
216km from Marsh Gibbon

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #10687 on: 29 December, 2015, 09:14:24 pm »
At least you did it the right way round. :)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

ElyDave

« Reply #10688 on: 29 December, 2015, 09:19:38 pm »
Halfway to a Stirling engine, Christmas project with my dad and my daughter

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #10689 on: 30 December, 2015, 02:22:31 pm »
Fettled the gears on TLD's hybrid, swapped from O2 to BT and sorted my new GPS thingy. Once the laptop finishes updating I will be putting a SD card in and grabbing the OSM for Spain (the Edge Explore 1000 only comes with UK maps)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #10690 on: 30 December, 2015, 02:29:33 pm »
Woohoo! The plaster set! It's a bit rough (due to my plastering skills and difficult access) but it'll sand down when I decorate that room again. At least, for now, there's no wiring exposed below that socket.

Now to tidy up before SWMBO comes home from her mum's and wants to use her study ...

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #10691 on: 30 December, 2015, 02:54:18 pm »
Applied final coat of paint to a bunk bed I've made ... about 45cm long, for grand-daughter #2's dolls .... her cousin GD#1 already has one I made earlier, GD#2 then decided she'd like "a bed with an upstairs" too ... Mrs robgul is about to get the sewing machine out to make a sheet, duvet and pillow set x 2.

... and I did sort out my winter cycling clothes - although they have had limited use so far this year

Rob

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #10692 on: 30 December, 2015, 03:54:22 pm »
Aww, that sounds awesome Robgul.  Can we see pics of the finished item please? :)

HTFB

• The Monkey and the Plywood Violin
« Reply #10693 on: 31 December, 2015, 04:35:10 pm »
Nothing. But I have just assembled the Park Tools Home Mechanic stand that my Beloved Stoker has given me for Christmas.

She vetoed my getting a stand years ago, in a previous and smaller flat. Back then I was a previous and smaller me, and actually cycling enough to get decent use out of one. I think its appearance now might just be some sort of hint.
Not especially helpful or mature

« Reply #10694 on: 31 December, 2015, 05:08:58 pm »
Put new tyres and pedals on the not-Tifosi.

robgul

« Reply #10695 on: 31 December, 2015, 05:11:26 pm »
Aww, that sounds awesome Robgul.  Can we see pics of the finished item please? :)

As if by magic  - this is the one I made for grand-daughter #1 - latest version has more of an angular Art Deco-ish headboard

... and sorry, I'm not open for commissions to make any more :hand:  - next project is to see if I can make a replica Isokon Donkey Mk 2  (you may have to Google that to see what I'm on about!)

Rob

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #10696 on: 31 December, 2015, 08:16:46 pm »
That is so gorgeous!
Milk please, no sugar.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #10697 on: 31 December, 2015, 08:34:17 pm »
Levelled the washing machine again, but it's still making nasty noises, not draining properly and being generally Wicked.  Time for some major-league spannering chiz.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

robgul

« Reply #10698 on: 31 December, 2015, 11:15:18 pm »
That is so gorgeous!

Thanks - I get almost as much pleasure out of making the stuff as they do playing with them  :thumbsup:   - I'm pondering making an old-style "soap box cart" for our 6 year old grandson  ???

There's something special about traditional toys and not the modern plastic crap from Argos or ToysRus .... the girls both have Silver Cross dolls prams and traditional rocking horses (courtesy of ebay) and we have a couple of Pashley Pickle trikes too - getting them used to proper bikes.

Rob

ElyDave

« Reply #10699 on: 01 January, 2016, 02:44:06 pm »
This

Still needs a bit more fettling, the horizontal cyclinder amd piston needs changing, tube is rough inside and seamed, need to reduce friction there.