Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2213071 times)

Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #13125 on: 27 July, 2018, 12:10:13 pm »
Defrosted the freezer. We’ve a new one coming today and they only take the old one if it’s clean and dry. It was quite fun using the steak mallet to rem9ve the accretion of ice   ;D
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #13126 on: 27 July, 2018, 04:16:20 pm »
Not today but a couple of days ago:Fitted some skirting board in the kitchen. The Cheery Chippy kindly cut it down to width to match the existing and put a mitre in the end so it would make a nice outside corner. But on quizzing him about inside corners it turns out a scribe joint is the way to go. A bit of youtubing (featuring mostly Australian puppies, including one called Uncle Knackers) and I was good to go. Somewhat hampered by the lack of a coping saw, I coped (tee hee) with a tenon saw, sandpaper and v sharp Mora wood carving knife. Fortunately the joint is hidden behind the fridge.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #13127 on: 28 July, 2018, 07:31:05 am »
Having got a pro in to do our bathroom ceiling an eon or two ago, I came to the conclusion that amateur = perfect mitres, pro = gaping mitres plus guff about your walls.  They don't much like a pointing finger, either: makes 'em mutter about effing apprentices.

<anecdote>
One day while our house was being built outside Belfast in the 50s, my dad noticed that a door wouldn't stand open, but always swung shut on its own. He pointed it out to the joiner, who said "that's done on purpose - saves heat in winter". "What a good idea!" my papa replied, then took the joiner round and tried every other door in the house. At the end of the tour he told him he could either fix the first one or all the others.
</anecdote>
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #13128 on: 28 July, 2018, 03:00:28 pm »
Deflinted a couple of tyres on a friend's bike. Changed the captain's saddle on the audax tandem.

Started fitting kit to HK's Kinesis - BB, cranks, pedals and derailleurs. Once the wheels arrive, I can fit the brakes.

Refitted the rear mudguard  and bidon cages to my Moulton and lubed the rear mech. Replaced the rear tube and swapped the rear tyre for the unused spare, as there is a long brevet coming up.

Replaced the carbon seatpost with an aluminium post as the seatpost clamp had started to crush it. This bike gets packed for travelling several times each year, so over-tightening the bolt is an occupational hazard. For those who worry about such things, a Carradice SQR has never crushed a carbon seatpost on bikes I've seen, only seatpost clamps seem to do it.

It also looks like my Moulton's rear rim may have worn too thin as there is an ominous bulge. I'm glad that didn't let go while I was descending Ventoux. Still to be resolved, either with another rim fitted in the next couple of days (there are a couple of identical half-worn rims in the garage) or I finally get the Tune-hubbed rear wheel sorted out. Swapping the Tune's LH end cap was not enough as it seems to also need a shorter axle to get the 135mm hub down to 130mm.

Refitted the rear mudguard and bidon cages to HK's Moulton. I may need to replace some hub bearings too.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #13129 on: 28 July, 2018, 04:31:01 pm »
My wardrobe. Two large plastic sacks of clothes to go to the charity shop, and a smaller one for recycling. Quite cathartic, but Id betternot put any weight back on....
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #13130 on: 28 July, 2018, 10:43:47 pm »
Building a new wheel after a bottle of red is probably a bad idea,  I'll leave it until tomorrow.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #13131 on: 28 July, 2018, 11:09:45 pm »
Built a rear fixed wheel.  Trial fitted the wheel and RH crank to Q4694.  Chainline is 4mm out.  Measured chainline at front (Andel crank, Tange 110.5mm BB).  42mm relative to down tube (56mm - (28.6mm/2)).  Measured chainline at rear (System EX hub, Surly sprocket).  42mm relative to dropout inner face (60mm-18mm).

The rear triangle is off by 4mm.  Not unusual but it'll need retracking.  I sort of expected that.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #13132 on: 29 July, 2018, 01:19:06 pm »
Replaced a rumbling bearing in a Moulton front hub. I need to do the same to a rear hub this evening.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #13133 on: 31 July, 2018, 11:34:13 am »
new water filter cartridge under the kitchen sink, without risk of drowning this time.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #13134 on: 01 August, 2018, 01:49:36 am »
Respaced a Tune rear hub to 130 and redished the wheel. Another step closer to getting both bikes ready for this weekend's brevet.

rogerzilla

« Reply #13135 on: 01 August, 2018, 08:31:09 am »
Fettled the new (s/h) workstand - cleaned it, greased the bolts, clamp QR and sliding tubes and it's all good.

rogerzilla

« Reply #13136 on: 01 August, 2018, 04:24:12 pm »
Fitted a Durano Plus Etape tyre to a Rigida Chrina wheel (now built), then the fixed sprocket and lockring.

Unsuccessfully tried to adjust the headset a bit better on the Ron Cooper.  I think the head tube needs facing.

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #13137 on: 05 August, 2018, 04:01:42 pm »
Took the washing machine filter apart to remove various debris and reassembled. Fairly straightforward. Although it's still making a grinding noise during the wash cycle :/
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #13138 on: 05 August, 2018, 04:36:58 pm »
For future reference, chains & cassettes go in the dishwasher...
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #13139 on: 05 August, 2018, 08:50:08 pm »
Yeah, the washing machine's for shoes...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #13140 on: 06 August, 2018, 09:33:08 am »
Changed the belt on my bench sander.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #13141 on: 06 August, 2018, 10:18:07 am »
If you're going to do chains in a washing machine, wrap them in an old sock or two.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

rogerzilla

« Reply #13142 on: 07 August, 2018, 08:33:12 pm »
Removed the 18T freewheel from the Bob Griffin and left it to soak in some light oil.  It's making a bit of a clanking noise and I suspect a sticky pawl or two.  If it's well-sealed, this won't work and I'll need to open it up.

Been doing it since new so could have been on a shop shelf for a decade.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #13143 on: 07 August, 2018, 10:22:07 pm »
Tweaking the seat posts and stems on the Mercian tandem I bought last year, to adjust the fit.  Test ride tomorrow evening along the prom.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

rogerzilla

« Reply #13144 on: 08 August, 2018, 12:10:27 pm »
Freewheel is sealed so no oil got in, or ran out afterwards.  Will have to pull it apart.  Haven't overhauled a freewheel for 25 years - I remember they're simple but they have a LOT of loose bearings.

It's a Shimano BMX freewheel and a bit too nice to use a hammer and punch on.  I'd better get a big pin spanner.

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #13145 on: 08 August, 2018, 12:15:19 pm »
Wheel truing...

Halfrauds replaced my shifters under warranty and the guy in the workshop told me "I straightened up your back wheel too mate". And to be fair there had been a bit of a wobble.

Doing a quick test ride around the car park all seemed well. However on a proper ride later that night the tyre was actually near-as rubbing on the left chainstay as possible. Clearly Halfrauds' finest made the rookie error of not pushing the rim against a flat surface on both axles every few minutes during the truing, and this has basically over-dished the rear wheel to the left hand side.

They seem to mean well but are basically completely useless at anything more tricky than swapping a cable so I did my best to get it back on true myself. I think I've got it about there but there is always more to be done... I've got the Orbital on Saturday and I don't want to leave the bike with those cowboys any longer than necessary. Thinking of going to Saddle Safari to see if they might manage a quick true ahead of Saturday but their order book has been crammed recently so I'm just going to fettle as best I can...
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #13146 on: 08 August, 2018, 12:57:08 pm »
***king about with the bandsaw guides all morning.  It'd be easier if the blade guide hadn't so much play.  Metabo stuff used to be brilliant.

ETA this guy is good.  The bit before it is introductory guff.

rogerzilla

« Reply #13147 on: 10 August, 2018, 05:52:44 pm »
Fitted the Bob Griffin with a 16T fixed sprocket instead of the 18T freewheel.  Chain needs a link taking out of it now.

rogerzilla

« Reply #13148 on: 11 August, 2018, 10:36:51 pm »
Helped recommission a Claud Butler Dalesman (not mine) that hadn't moved for two years, having been used for a long rainy tour and then mothballed without any TLC.  Prior to that it hadn't really been maintained since new.

It needed:

- new wheels (these were £120 handbuilt from eBay and are excellent - Deore hubs and Mavic touring rims with d/b spokes, nice and true.  I could barely build them myself for that money)
- new BB
- new crankset
- new chain
- new cassette
- new brake pads
- new pedals (M324 and yes, he knows they are essentially unserviceable as the tool costs at least £40)

All running well now except that there is rather too much rear brake system friction; there is an interrupter lever on the bars which seems to be sticky.  It works but is a bit meh.  I'd have junked the interrupter levers but the owner likes them.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #13149 on: 12 August, 2018, 07:25:52 am »
Cleaned the cruzbike after the 600km of touring last week, surprisingly not that grubby despite a couple of murky days.  One paint chip to attend to later, chain re-lubed. 

Only mechanical issue was a reluctance to shift into the granny ring, I suspect cable stretch or slip as it was ok-ish at the beginning of the week. May not get to that until next week for various reasons.

Also removed some of the gummy residue on the bars of the giant for its rebuild. I decided I don't like the moustache bars with brifters.  That's the final mechanical bit, but lacking a dedicated rear wheel, so will be a case of swapping from the cruzbike as and when until I sort that out.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens