Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2213185 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #13150 on: 12 August, 2018, 08:59:09 am »
Bike: took saddle off for re-saucing.  Also hung bike upside-down, plugged the frame weep-hole with a bit of dowel and sprayed the BB housing with soapy water to de-gunge it a bit. Sports-drink overflow collects in the guides and gums up the FD action as summer wears on.  It's out there softening just now.

Bandsaw: gave the table another tweak: can now cut a 1-mm slice that's even end-to-end. Ouf.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #13151 on: 12 August, 2018, 05:37:39 pm »
Took a Shimano BMX freewheel apart.  It's soaking in solvent, after which I need to stick 80 ball bearings back in their grooves with grease (SA IGH grease prob best as it doesn't gum up pawls).  I haven't overhauled a freewheel since 1992!

Edit: 96 ball bearings!  All done now.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #13152 on: 12 August, 2018, 08:26:20 pm »
Fresh tyres on the road bike, tightened the brake leavers and checked over ready for a little tour in a couple of weeks.
Also fresh tube in the back wheel of the inbred, the previous one ejected its valve core. That wheel was a pita to refit as always.

« Reply #13153 on: 12 August, 2018, 09:59:58 pm »
Swapped the tyres on the soon-to-be commuter from Schwalbe Ones to Hutchinson Sectors. Front went fine, but the rear is taking a while to seal (I’m using the CO2 friendly Finish Line Kevlar sealant rather than latex) with sealant foam weeping around much of one side of the tyre/rim interface. Hopefully overnight it will gum up nicely! 

Edit - it hasn't. In fact two days later neither front nor rear are satisfactorily sealed  >:(
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

rogerzilla

« Reply #13154 on: 13 August, 2018, 09:10:24 pm »
Swapped the M540 SPDs for single-sided A520 SPDs on the Bob Griffin, since it's running as a fixie for a bit.  The BB is a bit lower than ideal and this grabs a bit more clearance.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #13155 on: 13 August, 2018, 10:14:02 pm »
Put a new rear rack on the Roberts cos the old one was narrow and it made my rack pack lean over in a wonky way.
While checking out the fit of said rack pack, noted that one of the Velcro straps was almost ripped clean through. So I bodged a repair with needle & thread (not easy getting a needle through waterproof Velcro, fucking ow!) and then applied some Tenacious Tape on top of my bodgy needlework. Hopefully that will do until we're back from holiday....
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #13156 on: 14 August, 2018, 09:51:02 pm »
put the standard handlebars back on the Giant.  Now my cable outers are too short vs the moustache bars i trial fitted. I think even the Short stem won't make up the difference 

At least I've not cut the cables yet, so removal and reinstall won't be too tricky.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #13157 on: 15 August, 2018, 08:26:49 am »
Dismantled a lathe for storage & cleared out a load of crap that had accumulated on the bench behind it, including off-cuts of veneer from a marquetry desk-flap I did in the early 90s, templates, lots of furniture drawings (I was good back then!) and my 2000/2001/2002 cycling log which ended at 22/06/2002 161 km Col de Valsberg ACCIDENT. Once I recovered I got a pricey counter and used the computer.

rogerzilla

« Reply #13158 on: 15 August, 2018, 08:36:16 pm »
Fixed a glass puncture on the Surly.  That'll teach me to take it on the psyclepath through the sink estates. Bloody scratters smashing bottles.

ElyDave

« Reply #13159 on: 15 August, 2018, 08:39:50 pm »
Fixed a glass puncture on the Surly.  That'll teach me to take it on the psyclepath through the sink estates. Bloody scratters smashing bottles.

Swindon Innit?

rogerzilla

« Reply #13160 on: 15 August, 2018, 09:26:07 pm »
Also cut a fork crown down from JIS to ISO.  That was quite satisfying, and the result is beautiful.

If Rose had sent all the bits (well, I think they did, but due to crap packing some were lost in transit), I'd also have faced the head tube and taken half a mm off top and bottom to grab the stack height I need.

« Reply #13161 on: 15 August, 2018, 09:45:37 pm »
Also cut a fork crown down from JIS to ISO.  That was quite satisfying, and the result is beautiful.

If Rose had sent all the bits (well, I think they did, but due to crap packing some were lost in transit), I'd also have faced the head tube and taken half a mm off top and bottom to grab the stack height I need.

Do you have the facing tools, or did you employ another method?

I have a 1" crown race cutting tool, and steerer thread cutters, but I haven't found a head-tube reaming/facing tool in my price range.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

rogerzilla

« Reply #13162 on: 15 August, 2018, 09:47:11 pm »
Cyclus fork crown cutter.  Measured afterwards and it's 26.40.  The crown race is a good fit - about 26.3.

ElyDave

« Reply #13163 on: 16 August, 2018, 05:04:09 pm »
had a look at the front mech on the Cruzbike, it had become reluctant to move, particuarly downwards to the climbing ring (I don't think Granny Ring is warranted on a recumbent) during my trip last week, just when  needed it.  I was wondering if the cable had stretched, but no, it seems all that was needed was a bit of lubrication of the pivots and return sprinng.  It's now changing and getting easier every time I move the lever. 

It's a bar-end shifter, anyone recommend any other potential treatment, or just leave well alone if it's working?

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #13164 on: 16 August, 2018, 08:30:11 pm »
Clean it, lube it with spray grease. Don't forget to use it...
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

rogerzilla

« Reply #13165 on: 17 August, 2018, 07:54:20 pm »
Been working on a cheap and rather nasty fork.  Cut it down from JIS to ISO then realigned it (it had a bit of twist as well as being offset 2mm to the left).  All nice and straight now.  It's going on the Holdsworth as a test to see if the shocking brake rub (which stops me riding it) is down to a flexy fork.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #13166 on: 18 August, 2018, 06:33:17 pm »
Fitted new wheels, brake discs, cassette and chain to HK's Kinesis and adjusted the derailleurs. Once the handlebars arrive, I can fit the STI levers, hydraulic brakes and suchlike and we can start adjusting fit.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #13167 on: 18 August, 2018, 06:43:53 pm »
Moths.
Fumigated my home.
Guess which idiot forgot to disable the smoke alarm, and had to go back in....
Something which only became apparent 30 seconds after closing the door behind me and having removed the face mask. :facepalm:
I had a check list, FFS.

I've never (thankfully) been involved in a house fire, but trust me when I tell you that the disorientation afforded by thick smoke, is terrifying.
And this was in semi-controlled conditions.

Not overtly impressed to have found a couple of moths still gasping their last after a 3 hour+ exposure to permethrin.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #13168 on: 18 August, 2018, 08:10:42 pm »
Some knackered rim tape.

A loose stoker pedal on a tandem.  Instead of crossover chain sets, the left hand side cranks were repurposed right hand side ones. Precession kids. It's a thing.

Observed several punctures being fixed.

Failed to fettle: A Dura Ace 11 speed cassette which had two of the larger sprockets free to move in a sideways direction. Investigation showed that for reasons of marketing bollocks, making it lighter, stiffer and much more expensive, the larger sprockets consist of a metal ring mounted on a plastic and soot/other composite spider. Great until the rivets fail.

The joys of TECing on an FNRTTC.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #13169 on: 18 August, 2018, 08:16:25 pm »
 I dug lots of compressed fluff out of the USB port on my phone. It now charges properly.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #13170 on: 19 August, 2018, 12:59:12 pm »
Lotsa stuff: moved router sled to old lathe bench & rerouted cable via ceiling, cleaned & redecorated the parrot's cage, cleaned out one coffee machine & cleaned up another and semi-mothballed it, ditto grinder. Hoovered the dogs.

« Reply #13171 on: 19 August, 2018, 01:52:18 pm »
Tidied up a tools box in my shed. Looks presentable now.

ElyDave

« Reply #13172 on: 19 August, 2018, 02:11:38 pm »
Sorted the short cable outers on the Giant, ended up cutting one new gear and one brake, the other was long enough to swap sides. Indexing working in the stand. Just need some wheels, then I'll swap the rack from the MTB onto it as well for use as the shopping and railway station bike.

Also fettled a bottle of vodka to the open position using a pair of molegrips, the cap had buggered it's thread and was just spinning. Espresso martinis now back on menu

« Reply #13173 on: 19 August, 2018, 03:18:37 pm »
On the fixer.
Jiggled around with the saddle position, as I have a new saddle.
This meant having to jiggle around with the rear brake, as the seat post clamp bolt keeps the rear brake cable barrel adjuster in place.
Banjaxed the head in the seat post clamp bolt.
Fortunately, I am replete with M6 x 25 in S/S.

« Reply #13174 on: 19 August, 2018, 05:57:47 pm »
Continued fettling of new tyres. Last weekend I decided to swap the Schwalbe 1 tubeless tyres on my utility\commuter for some Sector 28’s, and try out the new Finish Line non-latex sealant. At the same time I decided to fit the dynohub front wheel. So I had a rear Pacenti SL25 “tubeless ready” rim that had been used, and an unused front H+ Son, which although not officially tubeless ready is a rim I’ve used for the last 2 years tubeless on another bike.

Now, being short of time I neither fitte£ the tyres with tubes to “condition” them, nor did I lubricate the rims with soap solution. This may or may not have a bearing on what followed.

I mounted the tyres no problem by hand. Front went up with the floor pump ok, the rear I needed to use a CO2 canister to pop on the rim. Deflated them, added sealant and reinflated. And watched as copious amounts of sealant foamed out around the bead. Did my usual spinning and shaking and bouncing, and thought they were holding pressure ok. 24 hours later they were dead flat. Pumped them up again, spun etc. 24 hours later flat as a pancake. Puddle of sealant by front tyre  >:(

This continued all week, albeit with a slight improvement - they only went down to 3-4 bar in a day. Saturday I pumped them up and went for a 30 mile ride, hoping the agitation would aid sealing. It did, sort of, as overnight they wen5 down from 7 to 5 bar. So improving, but nowhere near as good as the latex sealant had been. Not impressed so far.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)