Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2213064 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #13200 on: 27 August, 2018, 08:14:52 pm »
Now the cranks are bedded in on the Cinder Cone, I gave them a final tighten with steel bolts, then cleaned the axle threads and replaced with my ancient X-Lite alu bolts and threadlock.  That's it until the BB wears out.  Alu bolts are a great disincentive to retightening.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #13201 on: 28 August, 2018, 01:16:33 pm »
Added a new set of three shelves to the back wall of the shed, necessitating the relocation of what was already hanging on that wall. Started going through all the various shelves in the place culling stuff that'll never get used.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #13202 on: 28 August, 2018, 04:08:45 pm »
Trued up an el cheapo combination square and ran the edges over 240-grit so that it wouldn't saw through the pencil lead.  Having an aluminium head running on steel it won't last but there'll still be room for adjustment before it's done. Worth it at 9€ a pop.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

rogerzilla

« Reply #13203 on: 28 August, 2018, 07:35:47 pm »
Got the Kilauea up on the workstand and screwed a long rear axle into the mech hanger.  No, it's not bent at all and nor is the mech, it turns out.  Looks like the slightly dubious shifting might be due to fencepost error - I'd started with the phantom 8th click on the XT thumbshifter.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #13204 on: 29 August, 2018, 08:25:38 pm »
Bottom bracket on the runabout.

Picked up the new one and the tool at Evans in THAT LONDON whilst on a day trip, threw it in the pannier and hey presto, not a creak from the bike on the way home.

It must be osmosis, or magic

“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

rogerzilla

« Reply #13205 on: 29 August, 2018, 08:32:48 pm »
Built up the Harry Quinn track iron.  Needed a bit of fettling; the head tube and fork crown really wanted facing (now done, headset was a perfect press fit) and the fork ends needed some paint filing off (it had high-build primer) to get a wheel in straight. Only minor remaining issue is that the rear end is 2mm off to the right.  I will have to cold set it, since the chainline should be perfect (ring is 46mm from centreline and sprocket is 14mm from RH dropout face).  Oh, and the handlebar tape is the wrong colour, so no pics yet  :P  Weighs 16 1/4 lb without pedals in track trim.  Probably a pound and a half heavier in road trim.

« Reply #13206 on: 29 August, 2018, 09:11:45 pm »
New tyres on the Arkose; went for tan walls this time for a bit of colour, thus ruining the stealth black look.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #13207 on: 29 August, 2018, 09:22:49 pm »
Bartape on the Van Nic Ventus Ti roadbike that's being treated to a total rebuild with a complete new groupset* from shifters to chain ... just waiting for the titanium skewers and hideously expensive seatpost to arrive.

Rob

* there was a recent trade offer from Madison (the UK Shimano distributor) that was just too good not to take advantage of.  I'm getting towards the joke about the person who works in a bike shops and spends more than he earns there  :facepalm:

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #13208 on: 30 August, 2018, 11:25:18 am »
Nearly finished building a mobile base for my Bosch table saw.  Need to do something about dust collection, though, since the vacuum connection provided only picks up half of it and lets the rest fall through the bottom.

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #13209 on: 31 August, 2018, 09:08:59 pm »
Seeing as its the first day of Meteorological Autumn tomorrow, off with the Michelin Pro 4 Endurance and on with my old faithful Durano Plus. 150g an end heavier (25mm folding), and not quite as plush as the Pro 4, but nice and reliable.

I've probably jinxed myself now for Sunday's 100k Audax at Forfar...

ElyDave

« Reply #13210 on: 31 August, 2018, 09:54:21 pm »
a bit of shed fettling, rearranging some steel shelves used for toolboxes etc, a bit of sweeping out and putting up a couple of shelving brackets to hold most of my stocks of odds and sods of ply/chip/planking with the bigger stuff below and now all easily seeable.  A bit more tidying to do, sweeping out etc but a well spent hour and a half

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #13211 on: 01 September, 2018, 07:44:11 am »
The Bosch garden shredder.  Again. Only replaced the helix cutter a couple of years ago but must have had a stone through it as it now looks a bit battered.  So, new helix and the knife bit that makes sure the helix clears itself.  May be the last time as parts are now starting to dry up, some 8 years after they stopped making it.  Pity, it works really well and it is infinitely repairable, if the parts were available.

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #13212 on: 01 September, 2018, 08:53:42 am »
Managed to get mud in my cordless drill. The fan spat most of it out but some got on the commutator resulting in slowness plus bad noises & smells. Cleaned the commutator and brushes with meths, cleared small amount of mud and large volume of assorted fluff & debris from fan. Took flippin ages to get the casing back together right but it lives! Relieved, I've only charged each of the two new batteries I recently bought for it twice.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #13213 on: 01 September, 2018, 02:22:22 pm »
And tomorrow I'll be dismantling it again to reconnect the wires the right way round. It works fine of course but my muscle memory would take years to reprogram keeping the direction switch this way round.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #13214 on: 02 September, 2018, 06:12:06 pm »
I've just fettled some air into the expansion tank of my boiler. It seems that Baxi tried their hardest to make the Schrader valve as awkward to get at as possible.

I now have a flexy valve extender on order which hopefully should make the job much easier once fitted.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

rogerzilla

« Reply #13215 on: 03 September, 2018, 08:26:00 pm »
Virtual fettling only: I've decided to stick a 2mm washer under the RH cup of the Harry Quinn BB rather than cold set a 50-year old and very stiff frame for such a minor chainline tweak.  The wheels sit straight, anyway.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #13216 on: 04 September, 2018, 01:56:57 pm »
Left brake lever almost touching bars when squoze. New front brake-blocks due, but I'm not feeling fettlish right now.

« Reply #13217 on: 04 September, 2018, 03:11:00 pm »
Added some Fernox MB1 protector to the heating system.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

ElyDave

« Reply #13218 on: 05 September, 2018, 06:18:15 am »
Rear mudguard to the Giant rebuild. Probably do the front this lunchtime.

Delaying bar tape for now, planning a test ride Friday, which will include getting lever positions dialled in

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #13219 on: 09 September, 2018, 09:03:15 pm »
Fitted Raceblade pros to the Merida, then unfitted them, stuck helitape over where they sit and refitted them. On the 5 mile test ride I took them they seemed stable enough. No idea how well they'll keep the rain off but I'm sure I'll find out soon enough
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #13220 on: 10 September, 2018, 12:18:27 am »
tried my best to get the rear juicy three (yeah, i know..) caliper working as it should by cleaning and lubing the pistons, however there was little, if any, improvement. i either need to rebuild and bleed it or just buy a new set of brakes. the best i could to was to true the rotor close to perfection which eliminated rubbing noise.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #13221 on: 10 September, 2018, 01:10:54 am »
Best way to repair Avid hydraulic brakes is to buy some Shimano instead
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #13222 on: 10 September, 2018, 10:58:13 am »
Tweeked the back wheel on my commuter bike. It felt like it was really out of shape when I was riding it. There was a slight kink to it, but nothing really major.

It looks like the tyre is lumpy. Which is weird, because it's been alright for a while, but now feel like all the rubber has gone down hill while I wasn't using it for a while. It actually makes the bike shake when it's in the stand.

Weird.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #13223 on: 10 September, 2018, 02:45:12 pm »
Best way to repair Avid hydraulic brakes is to buy some Shimano instead
avids work fine when they are serviced (which needs doing every 2-3 years?), shimano isn't entirely problem free either, but i agree it's a better option even if for simplicity of bleeding.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #13224 on: 15 September, 2018, 11:35:22 am »
Filled and bled the hydraulic brakes on HK's Kinesis yesterday. Today, fitted the last bolts, rear rack and the third bidon cage, along with temporary tyres and tubes to bed in the brakes prior to fitting Schwalbe Almotion tubeless tyres in a week or two. HK is happy after her test ride.

Soon it will be time to trim the carbon steerer to length, fit the bung and swap over the mudguards, seatpost and saddle from her Condor commuter.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...