Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 1297192 times)

T42

• Old fool in a hurry
Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #14600 on: May 23, 2020, 02:12:38 pm »
Sharpening gouges.  Boring.
I've dusted all those old bottles and set them up straight.

« Reply #14601 on: May 23, 2020, 07:46:02 pm »
Fettled my daughter's 'Henry hoover' back into working order, by removing the speed control PCB and associated wiring - the speed control switch and/or PCB had borked, and the easiest fix is to just connect the motor to the main on/off switch and only have it full speed.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #14602 on: May 23, 2020, 08:26:58 pm »
Molished a shallow 5U rack out of nearly all the 12mm plywood that was in the shed, with a view to the downstairs ethernet switch and associated gubbins not falling on my head whenever I go groping in the Cupboard Of Doom for bike tyres or hoover accessories.

That plywood was in the shed for a reason, namely being the wonky bits left over from the last woodjbex project, and one of the corners had got damp.  As such, all the assuming-the-wood-is-flat measurement errors added up to a couple of pretty shoddy corners, but it's not like it has to look pretty.  Ideally I'd filler the worst bits and slather it in black Hammerite, but I have neither wood filler nor Hammerite.

Need to do a bit more sanding, improve the countersinking on a couple of screws, install the rack rails and dig up a 4-way to screw to the back, but I'm leaving that till tomorrow.
Careful, Kim. Your sarcasm's showing...

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #14603 on: May 23, 2020, 11:09:31 pm »
Started rebuilding the sparkly kermit Disc Trucker. Headset, mudguards, rack (I were reet glad of the 8mm Wera Joker ratchet spanner purchase for that), wheels on. While it was all stripped down took the chainset to bits and eventually Pingu managed to get the recalciltrant pedal off.
Looks like a bike now, just needs gears and brakes & chain all connecting up.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Dave_C

• Trying to get rid of my belly... and failing!
« Reply #14604 on: May 24, 2020, 09:44:25 pm »
In the lockdown I have been buying tools from Screwfix and getting on with those DIY/garden jobs I have been putting off for... erm... 8 years...

Bought an angle grinder and have sharpened my pick and mattock. They are lovely, sharp and shiny now.

I just need the council to empty my brown bin of garden waste so I can continue on with decimating 8 years of weed grown in the borders... :-)

Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk

@DaveCrampton < wot a twit.
http://veloviewer.com/athlete/421683/

« Reply #14605 on: May 24, 2020, 10:27:31 pm »
Fettled my daughter's steel shed doors, by replacing the plastic runners with scrap aluminium extrusions (ex roller whiteboard joining/pulling strips).  :smug:
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #14606 on: May 24, 2020, 10:29:36 pm »
Connected the brakes & gears up. Come 3pm we were still fettling the gears & gave up for the day.

« Reply #14607 on: Yesterday at 11:45:17 am »
I've had some unused Campag Skeleton brake calipers in one of my spares boxes for a few years now,
so decided to fit them to my Dolan Dual.

Campagnolo Skeleton Dual Pivot Brake Calipers - Silver  - Click to view a larger image

« Reply #14608 on: Yesterday at 12:19:19 pm »
Eldest wanted a pannier rack. Her bike with a 20" wheel doesn't have rack mounts but does have bolt hole for a mech protector and one on other side. Cut down an old rack I had drilled holes in the legs as the correct position was where the legs goes from two tubes to one. Then used the saddle clamp bolt to hold a modified bracket for the top of rack. She's happy although I did have to try and stop her carrying her sister who isn't much smaller then here on the back

Dave_C

• Trying to get rid of my belly... and failing!
« Reply #14609 on: Yesterday at 07:30:27 pm »
Managed to get the square taper BB off my galaxy. Also got the fork race and headtube races, it has a quill stem.

So now the frame is stripped, I am sending it to be stripped and resprayed. Do the masses suggest leaving old hex bolts in the frame to keep the threads clean? And what should I do about the Bottom bracket shell? I assume if I take it off, it will just be blasted off when they clean the frame for paint and rust?

@DaveCrampton < wot a twit.
http://veloviewer.com/athlete/421683/

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #14610 on: Yesterday at 08:06:07 pm »
Managed to get the square taper BB off my galaxy. Also got the fork race and headtube races, it has a quill stem.

So now the frame is stripped, I am sending it to be stripped and resprayed. Do the masses suggest leaving old hex bolts in the frame to keep the threads clean? And what should I do about the Bottom bracket shell? I assume if I take it off, it will just be blasted off when they clean the frame for paint and rust?

Rob said it all upthread

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1241.msg2499569#msg2499569

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #14611 on: Yesterday at 08:31:40 pm »
Replaced the chain and jockey wheels on the Roubaix. The jockey wheels removed were a bit lot graunchy.
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick