Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2213018 times)

Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #14650 on: 05 June, 2020, 11:37:25 am »
Hack bike hadn't been cleaned or maintained for ~10 years, so I cleaned everything down.  Rear mech had been overthrowing and clattering on the spokes in the 25T sprocket, so I'd been limited to 39x23 when riding with my 3yo in the Hamax seat - not ideal for getting up steep Staffordshire hills!  Adjustment screws had turned to cheese and rear mech was generally knackered, so I installed a new 9spd Sora medium cage mech which works okay.  9spd cassette had been 12-25, but I wanted something a bit smaller, so I dug out a 28T and a spacer from the box-o-bits, took off the 12T, and swapped the 13T sprocket for a top-sprocket version.  It's a bit of a mish-mash, but it runs without jumping, and indexes fine now.  I feel like I could ride up the side of a house in 39x28 - I've never had such a small gear on a road bike!

Fitted some Vredestein Fortezza Tricomp tyres - I hope they're as nice to ride on as when I last had some, 20 years ago - and a new stem, because my old one was a MTB stem, bodged to work with road bars (I know, I know...)
Why on earth does someone whose monicker is 'Legs' need a 39 23 combo?

:-)
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #14651 on: 05 June, 2020, 12:05:41 pm »
I've been called Legs since my first day at a new school in September 1989.  The school uniform had recently changed to allow the little people to wear trousers, but, of course, my parents sent me in my brother's hand-me-down shorts, so I was the only kid with his knees out.  My bro and his mates very kindly called me Legs...  It's kind of stuck; more than thirty years later, I'm Uncle Legs to my niblings.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #14652 on: 05 June, 2020, 10:42:51 pm »
New idlers in Trek RD, with the usual "ok, that one goes up there that way round, and that one goes down there that way round. Or does it?" It took longer to decrud the wee arrows on the old ones* than it did to fit the bits.  Still, once together it made like untrue love and ran smoooooooth.

While I was doing that, one of the Labs tried to make off with a bit of kitchen paper spotted with Loctite 243. Weird bugger.

* Yog-Sothoth & C°.

When you say idlers in an RD are you referring to jockey wheels?
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #14653 on: 06 June, 2020, 11:44:38 am »
The former Mrs Z has dropped off her Carrera Subway 8 for recommissioning.  It hasn't seen daylight for a decade, during which time she's been divorced from me and later remarried to a total bastard who ran away with another woman after 16 months!  It needs a damn good clean and there is surface rust on the roller brakes but I think it'll come up nicely.  The chain is lovely - I probably used Finish Line wet on it.

I still have a bottle of roller brake grease...the $64,000 question is whether the Nexus hub is still fully functional.  If not, I'll have to take out the mechanism and soak it in gear oil.  That's SOP for these as they are not fully serviceable.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #14654 on: 06 June, 2020, 11:47:19 am »
The former Mrs Z has dropped off her Carrera Subway 8 for recommissioning.  It hasn't seen daylight for a decade, during which time she's been divorced from me and later remarried to a total bastard who ran away with another woman after 16 months!  It needs a damn good clean and there is surface rust on the roller brakes but I think it'll come up nicely.  The chain is lovely - I probably used Finish Line wet on it.

I still have a bottle of roller brake grease...the $64,000 question is whether the Nexus hub is still fully functional.  If not, I'll have to take out the mechanism and soak it in gear oil.  That's SOP for these as they are not fully serviceable.

I hope you're charging her at standard LBS rates  :demon: :demon:

Rob

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #14655 on: 06 June, 2020, 11:56:18 am »
I like your civilised approach RZ.

Replaced the no-longer-functional sealant in HK’s Kinesis recently.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

rogerzilla

« Reply #14656 on: 06 June, 2020, 02:48:35 pm »
Hmm.  Won't shift down unless the thingy (ok, "cassette joint") is moved by hand at the hub end.  Hopefully just a sticky cable.

rogerzilla

« Reply #14657 on: 07 June, 2020, 09:23:24 pm »
Update: thank $DEITY, it is just the cable.  Removed the inner, flushed the outer with GT85, wiped the inner with the same and it moves nicely.  Also removed the cassette joint and gave it a good scrub in detergent.  It's not supposed to be oiled but I might give it a shot of silicone spray.

Wheel removal on a bike with an Inter-8 hub and roller brakes is a bit of an odyssey.  There are alleged quick releases for the cables (and for the front reaction arm) but they are awful to use.  I also noticed that Halfords used a particularly slack-fitting chainstay strap for the rear reaction arm.  I need to sort that as it can cause real problems.

I cleaned the bike so the only jobs left are to replace the aged tubes (and put Slime in them) and clean the chain.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #14658 on: 07 June, 2020, 11:06:58 pm »
Molished a shallow 5U rack out of nearly all the 12mm plywood that was in the shed, with a view to the downstairs ethernet switch and associated gubbins not falling on my head whenever I go groping in the Cupboard Of Doom for bike tyres or hoover accessories.

Achievement unlocked:

Still a bit of tidying up to do, but it's too late for hammering cable clips or hoovering.

Obviously moving the switch up a shelf meant that some of the cables were now Too Short.  Since they'd also been eaten by the living room door, I opted for the tedious option of replacing them (doing a slightly better job at routing them past the door).  And then hours of punching down, testing, de-tangling and re-patching general network fucking-about.  Everything seems to still work, though.

I've been standing up too long, interspersed with groping around on the floor and bouts of heavy lifting.  My lower back is killing me.

rogerzilla

« Reply #14659 on: 08 June, 2020, 03:44:28 pm »
The Subway 8 is mostly back together.  Need to clean chain this evening and the rear brake cable is sticky too, so that'll need a good flush and wipe.  Couldn't buy slime tubes in the right size and valve so had to buy two normal tubes, remove the valve cores and slime them.  It'll be used on psyclepaths through the badlands (Liden and Eldene), so plenty of glass.

« Reply #14660 on: 08 June, 2020, 05:25:10 pm »
Carried out a running repair on a wall unit in the kitchen, involving some lateral thinking and a couple of self-drilling plasterboard fixings that's saved me a click'n'collect order for a set of hinge repair plates.  :smug:
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #14661 on: 09 June, 2020, 01:54:26 pm »
it's about time..

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #14662 on: 09 June, 2020, 01:59:52 pm »
My goddamn tax return - see grumble thread.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #14663 on: 09 June, 2020, 02:12:45 pm »
Managed to get all our Hive plug/sockets and bulbs working having had to reset them with a move to a new address.  Sockets no problem - bulbs have a strange reset process that is decidedly flakey.  All now sorted.

Big news is that the coffee machine is back from servicing - more soon . . . . there's bloke coming this afteroon to cut one of the granite worktops - that may be dusty!

Rob

« Reply #14664 on: 10 June, 2020, 01:24:08 pm »
The shower waste trap had cracked, leaking water into the kitchen below
Cut hole in ceiling, and remove said trap

Fit new trap, and support batons

Replace cut out plaster board

Apply filler, and now waiting to dry before sanding/paint. May need a second lot of filler, we'll see once sanded

Dave_C

• Trying to get rid of my belly... and failing!
« Reply #14665 on: 11 June, 2020, 09:08:04 pm »
I collected my Dawes Galaxy frame and forks from Henderson's in Edinburgh today. I had it shot blasted and painted in a similar colour to the original.

I has come out very nice and cost only £90.

Now I need to source parts for a chrome rebuild as the stock parts were black.

Dave C

Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk

@DaveCrampton < wot a twit.
http://veloviewer.com/athlete/421683/

« Reply #14666 on: 11 June, 2020, 09:20:04 pm »
Nice Galaxy.

What gear lever and brake type are you going for? I have a Galaxy to build up myself, but I keep changing my mind as to what I want  - I built it with flat bars and V brakes, and decided it didn't feel right, so have sourced drop bar hardware and 'frog-leg' cantis.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #14667 on: 11 June, 2020, 09:23:52 pm »
My own fettling today consisted of replacing a faulty Halogen PIR spotlight on the garage, with an LED one. This involved soldering a new, longer lead on the spotlight and installing a metal, switched, fused spur box inside the garage, rather than the plastic junction box I had previously used.  :smug:
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

Dave_C

• Trying to get rid of my belly... and failing!
« Reply #14668 on: 11 June, 2020, 09:28:28 pm »

Nice Galaxy.

What gear lever and brake type are you going for? I have a Galaxy to build up myself, but I keep changing my mind as to what I want  - I built it with flat bars and V brakes, and decided it didn't feel right, so have sourced drop bar hardware and 'frog-leg' cantis.

I'm going to put drop bars back on. It has chrome cantilever brakes already. I have found the headset, stem and seatpost on SJS already. Just about to order. It's tricky as the existing seat post measures 27mm with my plastic gauge, so I hope it is not 26.8 or 27.2...

Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk

@DaveCrampton < wot a twit.
http://veloviewer.com/athlete/421683/

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #14669 on: 11 June, 2020, 09:31:24 pm »
Very nice Dave.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #14670 on: 13 June, 2020, 09:46:10 pm »
So an initial plan to give my Look 566 a general clean-up has grown arms and legs.
It's now a bare frame!

The headset was in a bit of a state, with rusty water running down the fork from the crown race.
Removing the lower headset bearing was a bit of a pig: the cartridge bearing was seized into the frame.
On this carbon frame, the cups are not pressed-in things that can be knocked out with a headset rocket; they are an integral part of the frame's head tube.
The bearing was seized into the actual frame.

Getting increasingly medieval, the bearing cartridge eventually disintegrated, with the inner race and ball cage coming out, leaving the seized outer race as an indistinguishable part of the frame.
This was cut out using a dremmel grinding disc to carefully grind away a section of it.
Once it was no longer a complete circle, it collapsed fairly readily, and the frame cleaned up.

But now: what bearings to replace them with?
The Internet was full of contradictory and wrong information.
Was it 36/45 degrees or 45/45?
Old forum threads pointed to Look website documents that no longer existed.
The website has been purged of actual useful technical content in favour of Bling.

In the end, I measured it on the old bearings, using some home-made gauges.
Using some thin rigid metal ( old coke can ), I carefully measured out 36 and 45 degree angles using a protractor, and cut them using kitchen scissors.
The angles are very noticeably different.
This was surprisingly effective, using my magnifying-glass work light.

On the outside chamfer ( frame-facing, known to be 45 ) the 36 gauge quite clearly did not align, and the 45 one aligned perfectly.
On the inside chamfer ( steerer-facing, unknown ) the 45 gauge was miles out, but the 36 gauge aligned perfectly.

I'd expected this experiment to be a bit inconclusive, but no.
Absolutely 100% confidence.
But it does require a high magnification worklight to see the difference.

Bearing gauges by Ron Lowe, on Flickr

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #14671 on: 13 June, 2020, 09:57:48 pm »
Stripped down HK’s Roberts ready for painting. Also my trike’s fork for powder coating.

Deciding whether to get bidon bosses brazed onto my Brompton prior to stripping it for powder coating. If yes, do I fit bosses to the top of the main tube or to the back of the handlebar stem or both?
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #14672 on: 13 June, 2020, 10:13:45 pm »
Some hose fettling. When we moved here 20 years ago I bought a hose from Screwfix. It wasn’t long enough (25m) to get from the tap to the water butt round the back of the shed. A neighbour generously donated some spare hose, and I used 2 quick disconnects and a male-male coupler to join it. It always leaked. A week ago, whilst washing the car (on the opposite side of the road to the house) the joint got driven over. So now I’ve bought and installed a simple joining piece.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/hozelock-hose-repair-connector/44928?tc=CB3&ds_kid=92700052138698020&ds_rl=1249410&gclid=CjwKCAjw8pH3BRAXEiwA1pvMsc8BEYkl0HBpY7H_aKWY37XT3eMC_OeSyBQLe1X1Ciyga2Kh54Cr1xoCilEQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

No more leaks.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #14673 on: 13 June, 2020, 10:18:07 pm »
Deciding whether to get bidon bosses brazed onto my Brompton prior to stripping it for powder coating. If yes, do I fit bosses to the top of the main tube or to the back of the handlebar stem or both?

Both. It's relatively inexpensive to do it now (compared to doing it once it's been powder coated), and you'll have the option to use either or both  positions. If you find one doesn't work then it can just have bolts put in to seal the holes - or you'll find something else to mount there.

« Reply #14674 on: 14 June, 2020, 10:09:01 am »
Some hose fettling. When we moved here 20 years ago I bought a hose from Screwfix. It wasn’t long enough (25m) to get from the tap to the water butt round the back of the shed. A neighbour generously donated some spare hose, and I used 2 quick disconnects and a male-male coupler to join it. It always leaked. A week ago, whilst washing the car (on the opposite side of the road to the house) the joint got driven over. So now I’ve bought and installed a simple joining piece.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/hozelock-hose-repair-connector/44928?tc=CB3&ds_kid=92700052138698020&ds_rl=1249410&gclid=CjwKCAjw8pH3BRAXEiwA1pvMsc8BEYkl0HBpY7H_aKWY37XT3eMC_OeSyBQLe1X1Ciyga2Kh54Cr1xoCilEQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

No more leaks.

When hose connectors start to leak, it's invariably deterioration of the O rings. I bought a load off ebay a few years ago and have saved a small fortune in not having to buy new connectors.