Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2194271 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #18050 on: 03 August, 2023, 05:33:23 pm »
...Which way to the fecking div thread, please?

I think you already know the way  ;)  :P

Got a season ticket.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #18051 on: 03 August, 2023, 05:54:20 pm »
Attacked the replacement front door wif a hammer and chisel, that cutouts for the hinges might be molished.  This involved having to move it.  I'm dreading having to install the thing, because it weighs $BIGNUM and I will undoubtedly drop it and crush my toes.
 Or something.

Get a helper and a long webbing sling*.

* no, not gin-. At least, not until after.
If, like me, your helper doesn't exist, place your door in the closest position you can to align the hinge with the hinge screw holes in the frame.
Then, get two of your largest (they need to upwards of 30cms) flat screwdrivers and tap them in under the door with your foot from both sides of the door whilst supporting the door with your hands.
They work as wedges.
A bit of judicious foot tapping from both sides will raise/lower the door into a kushty position whereupon, if you've prepped properly, in reach of your spare hand (the other will be busy supporting the door) will be the screws and cordless driver you need for the next part of the process.
Pop one screw into the top hinge, another into the bottom hinge and Robert is your father's brother.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #18052 on: 03 August, 2023, 06:08:56 pm »
I have been contemplating the use of a sack trolley attached to a Heavy Thing with a giant toe strap.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #18053 on: 03 August, 2023, 06:23:30 pm »
I've used the above method on at least three doors in this house, without damage to me or to the house, and once at my mum's.
It is quite controllable, in small increments.
I'd offer to pop round and assist, but my place of employment is no longer as near to your's as it once was.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #18054 on: 03 August, 2023, 09:37:53 pm »
Swapped the rear tyres on HK’s orange trike. Added a third bidon cage on the seat tube with a couple of drj0n bagworks Barnacles (not cheap but work nicely) and a Salsa Side Entry cage. Together with a Di2 battery mount to move up the down tube cage to clear the seat tube cage, everything ends up nice and low, which is important when fitting large bidons into a small frame.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #18055 on: 03 August, 2023, 11:15:00 pm »
I only have one suitable screwdriver but I'm sure I can improvise something, possibly including the barrel of a dead Silca track pump :D

Tried resuscitating the Dremel-alike I found under the coffee table at Fort Larrington but as well as prolonged UV exposure causing its case to shatter into a million tiny pieces it utterly failed to recharge its Chineseum-iron battery.  Found my genuine Dremel which has been MIA for about 15 years, hiding in a box under a bunch of other boxes that should have been thrown out, er, 15 years ago.  No-one needs half a dozen boxes that don’t contain Hope disc brakes because they're attached to bikes…  Charged battery.  Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!  Hurrah!

Also destickificated my laptop’s trackball, which was suffering from an Unwanted Tea Incursion.

« Reply #18056 on: 03 August, 2023, 11:31:23 pm »
I only have one suitable screwdriver but I'm sure I can improvise something, possibly including the barrel of a dead Silca track pump :D

Bolster chisel works really quite well for this purpose.

(I tend to prefer it because the broader blade is less likely to mark the bottom edge of the door should you happen to be a bit too vigorous with the insertion.)

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #18057 on: 03 August, 2023, 11:54:59 pm »
There’s a sturdy cold chisel around somewhere which should do the trick when suitably extended with the aforementioned bit of steel tube

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #18058 on: 04 August, 2023, 01:49:08 am »
Chuffed TF that I've replaced my Economy 7 water heating system (in an all-electric house) with a smart app-controlled system that not only replaces the timer, but monitors the temperature in the system and adapts the heating algorithm so that I get hot water when I need it and not when I don't. I'm well aware that those are exactly the advantages that my Economy 7 system promised me when that first arrived, but now my system monitors how I use it, and will suggest changes based on what it sees over the medium term. I love the ability to 'talk' to my house and get it to talk back to me!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #18059 on: 04 August, 2023, 08:55:15 am »
Installed a new motor on the eBrute. Nothing wrong with the old one but it has a 135 mm axle whereas the new one's is 130 mm, which is somewhat kinder to the stays and a hell of a lot easier to get into the drop-outs.  All done & dusted, only... something's rubbing.  Not the brakes, more at cassette level.  There is a nut that goes on the motor axle: when the wheel-retaining nut is screwed up tightly the drop-out butts against that nut, and I think it's in contact with the cassette-lockring. aargh. Going to have to take the motor off again and back it off a bit.  :facepalm:

Which way to the fecking div thread, please?

Hah! 'Twarn't me.  Nut wasn't in contact, motor spindle doesn't like being turned.  Old one was fine, but the resistance in the spindle this one is enough to stop the chain moving through the derailleur when I back-pedal (on the workstand).  Back to the shop.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #18060 on: 04 August, 2023, 05:56:15 pm »
I did a wombling!

I am wont to do the odd bit of litter picking when we're on the way home from a walk. Last Nov I came across an empty hose reel in a car park nearby https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=53164.msg2768555#msg2768555. Having a hose in need of a reel I picked it up. Only later did I find out that there was something missing from it.
I found the right part on the Hozelock spares website but they said they were closed for a technical update.
So I waited.
And waited.
And waited.
And finally a couple of weeks ago I poked my nose in there and lo it was working!

So that came today, I fixed all the borked bits and I now have hose on a reel instead of all kinked up.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #18061 on: 04 August, 2023, 07:46:04 pm »
Bottle cages cont'd...
Wasn't happy with the threads I had tapped into the nylon block, cheese and nylon share hardness properties. So last night I went to bed wondering how best to make it a proper job.
This morning, the answer was at the front of my mind. After a busy day on pre-arranged stuff, as soon as I could, I got in the garage and found a half inch brass bar to drill tap and shape to fit in the previously drilled and tapped nylon cage mount.
Very pleased with the final result - proper clamping and not too unsightly (IMO).

"Ott's Law states that the worst weather will coincide with the worst part (for that weather) of any planned ride"

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #18062 on: 04 August, 2023, 10:39:11 pm »
Fitted a new rim, tube and tyre to HK’s orange trike’s dynowheel. New brake pads and possibly handlebar tape and it will be ready for PBP.

rr

« Reply #18063 on: 04 August, 2023, 11:05:27 pm »
Attacked the replacement front door wif a hammer and chisel, that cutouts for the hinges might be molished.  This involved having to move it.  I'm dreading having to install the thing, because it weighs $BIGNUM and I will undoubtedly drop it and crush my toes.
 Or something.

If, like me, your helper doesn't exist, place your door in the closest position you can to align the hinge with the hinge screw holes in the frame.
Then, get two of your largest (they need to upwards of 30cms) flat screwdrivers and tap them in under the door with your foot from both sides of the door whilst supporting the door with your hands.
They work as wedges.
A bit of judicious foot tapping from both sides will raise/lower the door into a kushty position whereupon, if you've prepped properly, in reach of your spare hand (the other will be busy supporting the door) will be the screws and cordless driver you need for the next part of the process.
Pop one screw into the top hinge, another into the bottom hinge and Robert is your father's brother.
You can also get air wedges for this, I bought one from Lidl recently because I thought it was bound to come in useful. Does it make me a div as I've only just read this and I practically drove past Larrington Towers yesterday.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #18064 on: 05 August, 2023, 01:18:23 am »
Door still far from ready for hanging - needs an 'ole for the letterbox and lock as well as painting so at the current rate of progress will be installed about 12 hours before I hightail it across the Stormy North Atlantic for a month.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #18065 on: 05 August, 2023, 08:18:00 am »
 Or something.

They work as wedges.
You can also get air wedges for this, I bought one from Lidl recently because I thought it was bound to come in useful. Does it make me a div as I've only just read this and I practically drove past Larrington Towers yesterday.

The French for wedge being coin, a possible translation for this would translate back into English as pneumatic corner.  And since coin is also the noise a duck makes, another re-translation might be inflatable quack.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #18066 on: 05 August, 2023, 09:11:14 am »
Finished building the wheels for my new trike and fitted new tyres and tubes. Started assembling it.

Fitted new KoolStop pads, SPDs, chain and cassette to HK’s orange trike. Cleaned and greased the jockey pulleys. Just the handlebar tape to go.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #18067 on: 05 August, 2023, 02:20:02 pm »
I de-fettled two old hard drives by drilling through them.  Ok, MI6 might still be able to recover something, but I doubt they're interested.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #18068 on: 05 August, 2023, 04:11:07 pm »
Is there anything more tedious in the bike fettling canon then scraping old tub cement off sprint rims?  Tub sidewall eaten by age and excess sun so it was time to renew that part of my antediluvian system. Screwdrivers moonlighting as scrapers, acetone and much colourful language ensued. LBS only had one wheel's worth of tub-tape so the second tub went back on with the smelly sticky stuff - prophesying a future scraping event. Oh joy.
They laughed when I said I was going to be a stand-up comedian. They're not laughing now.

« Reply #18069 on: 05 August, 2023, 04:24:47 pm »
Very pleased with the final result - proper clamping and not too unsightly (IMO).

That reminds me of the mounting blocks I made for Tesco's torches (back when they were a cheap way of getting decent LED lights)
but I split on both sides rather than just one and in pine, but I like the idea of nylon
I think I may even have some solid bar already threaded from something (possibly the Ikea "spares" box)

« Reply #18070 on: 05 August, 2023, 05:14:32 pm »

That reminds me of the mounting blocks I made for Tesco's torches (back when they were a cheap way of getting decent LED lights)
but I split on both sides rather than just one and in pine, but I like the idea of nylon
I think I may even have some solid bar already threaded from something (possibly the Ikea "spares" box)

Cheers. To be honest, if I had found some more 3/8" aluminium (at least 50mm x 85mm) I would have used that (as per the first one I made). Nylon one was a lot faster to make, as I had the capability to drill at the desired diameter (22mm) rather than having to drill at 13mm and file out to 22mm. The use of only the bottom bottle cage bolt to clamp onto the accessory bar, allowed me to chamfer the top of the bracket at a sensible angle to suit the Garmin mount.

"Ott's Law states that the worst weather will coincide with the worst part (for that weather) of any planned ride"

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #18071 on: 05 August, 2023, 06:32:19 pm »
Checked the chain on the Faran 2.5 and decided not to replace it. It hit the 0.5% marker, but not 0.75%. 

Did replace the front tyre that was slashed on an audax earlier and running tubed as a result, new Terravail Canonball 40mm, as per initial fitting, seated no bother, the easiest tubeless I've tried so far.  Also fettled the setup for audax, including helitape on top tube for the snack pack, loading the seatpack and deciding what to put in the handlebar bag. 
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #18072 on: 05 August, 2023, 06:53:28 pm »
It was raining this morning, so I was intending to fill all the nail holes in the 2 door frames I stripped last week.
What I ended up doing instead was cutting insulation boards for the 2nd pantry cupboard and sticking it on, such that I could get rid of the boards cluttering up the understair cupboard.
While I was DIYing I persuaded Pingu to help take off said cupboard door so I could plane the bottom off it so it stops getting stuck on the back doormat.
Then I needed to get the jigsaw out to trim the shelves that no longer fitted in the cupboard.

After that we went to our local cafe for post fettling ice cream and beer.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #18073 on: 06 August, 2023, 05:00:58 pm »
Letter box 'ole made in door.  Looks terrible but the terribleness will be hidden behind bits of hardware.  Also the nut that holds the external stuffs in place requires an 11/32” socket :o

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #18074 on: 06 August, 2023, 05:06:47 pm »
Mucked out the coffee engine, which was in dire need.  Also went over to workshop to swap a nut on motor wheel but pectoral ouch stopped me heaving the bike about.