Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2212481 times)

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #2825 on: 11 January, 2011, 07:52:22 am »
Just fitted Crud Roadracer guards to GillP's bike. Came to attach the last extension tip to the rear guard and found I was missing one nut. They now sport one bright shiny silver nut where there should be a black plastic one. I've e-mailed them to ask why they include some spare parts but no spares of the smallest, most easily lost bits. (I didn't lose the nut, it wasn't in the packet). They also offer any spare part just for the cost of a first class stamp which is pretty good but makes it even more baffling that they don't pop a couple of spare nuts and bolts in there.

Had an e-mail from Peter at Crudproducts full of apologies and asking for my address so that he can put spares in the post.  :thumbsup:

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #2826 on: 11 January, 2011, 08:47:32 am »
I'm just a french and theatre studies graduate (and bar maid, and part time voluntary shepherdess) who accidentally ended up being a helpdesk monkey, somehow got put in charge of quite a large project and let loose on quite a big network then a left IT via call centres and parenthood and PGCEs before accidentally ending up out of my depth back in IT(ish)  again.  Or something...

That's how it happens, though.  It's all going perfectly well until one day you're the only person in the building with shepherding skills[1] and knowledge of how to make some godforsaken windows box suck slightly less hard...   ;)

[1] Sheep, goats, SCSI, they're all basically the same thing.

You forgot cats....

Or is that for advanced shepherds only (or should that be catherds?)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2827 on: 11 January, 2011, 02:39:26 pm »
Herding of cats and bisexuals is an advanced-level course that often leads to insanity.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2828 on: 11 January, 2011, 04:21:32 pm »
The rear wheel of the tandem, which suffered a mysterious deflation last week.  Absolutely no sign of a hole in the tube or any offending nastiness in the tyre, and the rim tape was behaving itself, so I'm going to put that down to either a slow leak from the valve or aliens.

Horizontal dropouts really are a pain.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #2829 on: 11 January, 2011, 05:32:56 pm »
Got 2km into a ride this morning when my freehub died so I walked/scooted home, then stripped down and cleaned the Chorus hub. Pawl spring had broken in two, replacement ordered...

Tail End Charlie

« Reply #2830 on: 11 January, 2011, 05:40:51 pm »
All morning fettling today. :thumbsup:

First I fitted my IQ Cyo from another bike to my Pompino. This involved drilling and tapping a hole in the fork crown. Great to have the Cyo in action again.

(Both quick releases in my dynohubs had seized, mental note to check more often).

Then fitted some butterfly bars which I'd got from a member of this parish to my runaround bike. Haven't ridden it yet, but I'm interested to see how this works out.   

« Reply #2831 on: 11 January, 2011, 09:46:18 pm »
In the space of not very long : -

our 13 year old washing machine (needed de-grunking though the whole outflow side)
the microwave that was dead
replaced a Fiat Punto's starter motor
drilled out a sheared rack bolt from Mrs hatler's Orange
got the granny ring working on the same bike

(It's about 20 years since I did any real car fettling.)
Rust never sleeps

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2832 on: 11 January, 2011, 10:06:07 pm »
I swapped Butterfly's SPDs back from the folder to her Galaxy.  And put an extra bottle cage on with a Minoura bracket.  Swapped that bottle cage over from my Ridgeback so she had two matching ones, and I put an older one on the Ridgeback, making it even less desirable.
Getting there...

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #2833 on: 11 January, 2011, 10:17:39 pm »
Not exactly fettling, but I collected my frame and forks from the LBS today. New headset installed and BB shell faced. Lovely. I see a busy weekend coming up :thumbsup:.
Pen Pusher

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #2834 on: 11 January, 2011, 10:24:18 pm »
Not exactly fettling, but I collected my frame and forks from the LBS today. New headset installed and BB shell faced. Lovely. I see a busy weekend coming up :thumbsup:.
And your bar-ends were posted this morning, so that'll be further fettling potential for you ... :)

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
« Reply #2835 on: 11 January, 2011, 10:42:23 pm »
And your bar-ends were posted this morning, so that'll be further fettling potential for you ... :)

8). They're for a different bike though. A bit of an experiment, you might say.
Pen Pusher

« Reply #2836 on: 11 January, 2011, 10:47:37 pm »
Went to finish off my latest project only to find I have a 31.8 band on derailleur to fit to a 28.6 seat tube, and the only shims I have are 34.9-31.8 and 34.9-28.6.  Doh!  It will have to wait another few days.

« Reply #2837 on: 11 January, 2011, 11:41:04 pm »
The rear wheel of the tandem, which suffered a mysterious deflation last week.  Absolutely no sign of a hole in the tube or any offending nastiness in the tyre, and the rim tape was behaving itself, so I'm going to put that down to either a slow leak from the valve or aliens.

Horizontal dropouts really are a pain.

I could have written all this about my Cotic Roadrat.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

essexian

« Reply #2838 on: 12 January, 2011, 04:12:26 pm »
Just got my back wheel plus new cassette back from Back to Bikes in Stafford following my failure to remove the old cassette.

When asked how they got the old cassette off (I had tried for three hours), the bloke said there were some things best not asked.....  :o

Just put the wheel back on and all seems fine with it.  Money (five quid) well spent!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2839 on: 12 January, 2011, 04:19:45 pm »
No fettling, but I note that tyre is still fully inflated.  Curiouser and curiouser.

corshamjim

« Reply #2840 on: 12 January, 2011, 05:27:15 pm »
Tightened my adjustable stem.

I'm beginning to wonder if riding a low-maintenance bicycle is just a little too dull!  ::-)

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
« Reply #2841 on: 12 January, 2011, 08:17:53 pm »

Received 8). Cheers :thumbsup:
Pen Pusher

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #2842 on: 12 January, 2011, 08:18:37 pm »
The passenger side door of the car - to actually get it to shut so I could drive it the garage to receive its Last Rites.

Currently fettling the work bike so I can ride down to the garage tomorrow to retrieve the tax disc, the roof bars/bike rack and the brand new Midnight Oil CD that I realised is in the player.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #2843 on: 12 January, 2011, 08:19:26 pm »

Received 8). Cheers :thumbsup:
Holy crap - another one! Methinks someone has given Royal Mail a bit of a talking to in light of the Christmas debacle.

« Reply #2844 on: 12 January, 2011, 10:43:26 pm »
No fettling, but I note that tyre is still fully inflated.  Curiouser and curiouser.
Presta valve that doesn't always screw down tight and hence leaks when out of line?

« Reply #2845 on: 12 January, 2011, 11:00:44 pm »
I solved the mystery of my son's apparently spontaneously puncturing back tyre. I found a tiny metal spike impaled in it. In future I will not rely on eyesight alone to check the tyre, although I couldn't see it I could feel it when I turned the tyre inside out to inspect it really closely. Puncture now repaired again, I have amassed a pile of tubes to patch now!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2846 on: 12 January, 2011, 11:08:58 pm »
Presta valve that doesn't always screw down tight and hence leaks when out of line?

Seems likely.  If it goes down again, I'll bubble-test the valve.

mondobongo

« Reply #2847 on: 13 January, 2011, 12:25:25 am »
Just taken off pedals cleaned and regreased threads and put them back on. One of my best buys ever a big f**k off pedal spanner.

« Reply #2848 on: 13 January, 2011, 08:18:36 pm »
Replaced rear brake shoes which were worn down and replaced broken rear mudguard.  Fiddly but happy with results!  Why is it always the rear mudguard that breaks? 

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #2849 on: 13 January, 2011, 08:23:34 pm »
More RAM added to the PC - humming along quite nicely now.

Next on the agenda: fitting crudcatchers.

;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup: