Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2194114 times)

Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #5150 on: 05 March, 2012, 10:18:08 am »
The pollarded elder at the bottom of our garden had a severe haircut. The electric chainsaw made light work of it, but I now have to call in the council's shredding bloke to get rid of the waste wood.
If you have a local Scout camp site, they may be grateful for it. It's not so easy these days to find enough wood for camp fires.
Good idea, but it's all too green for that, I'm afraid. Plus, I'll use the chippings as mulch. Warwickshire charge £20 for an hour's chipping which is very much worth it.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #5151 on: 05 March, 2012, 02:58:45 pm »
We fettled roof bars onto the car, installed the tandem rack, then put the tandem up there. It wasn't much fun getting it there so the plan to take it down again changed into leaving it there for tomorrow. I then had to climb onto the roof of the car to put Brooks covers onto the saddles and Simon had to retrieve his Garmin from the bars with it up there. Not very well planned really  ;D
God knows how we are going to get it down again when we get there tomorrow, or how we are going to get it back up there for the return journey!
There's never a really low bridge around when you need one, is there?  ;D
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #5152 on: 05 March, 2012, 03:29:04 pm »
I've fettled & faffed with luggage.
Barbags,tribags,panniers,saddlebags.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5153 on: 05 March, 2012, 04:10:04 pm »
I just mantled a trailer (Carry Freedom Y large).  20" wheels now outnumber everything else by a significant margin in our fleet - make of that what you will.

Can anyone suggest an adhesive for securing that skateboard grip tape stuff to wood?  This one was heavily discounted on account of minor damage, so there are a couple of peely edges that would benefit from sticking back down.  I expect hot glue or Araldite would probably work (it works on most things), but if the panel have any better suggestions they'd be appreciated.

Next mission will be to obtain a moderately sturdy plastic box to go on top of it.  Then I'll be able to transport all manner of silly things by bike, and not have to get up early in the morning to do a tip run every time we hire a car.   :thumbsup:

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #5154 on: 05 March, 2012, 05:39:47 pm »
I've fettled & faffed with luggage.
Barbags,tribags,panniers,saddlebags.

& rack bags & Ortlieb map cases.

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #5155 on: 06 March, 2012, 01:11:07 pm »
A week ago I discovered that 282mm spokes were not quite enough for the long side of my wheels.  Yesterday 284mm spokes arrived and the long side of my wheels now contain spokes. When I have an evening without half a bottle of wine in me I will tension and true these wheels.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #5156 on: 06 March, 2012, 01:13:07 pm »
A week ago I discovered that 282mm spokes were not quite enough for the long side of my wheels.  Yesterday 282mm spokes arrived and the long side of my wheels now contain spokes. When I have an evening without half a bottle of wine in me I will tension and true these wheels.

???
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #5157 on: 06 March, 2012, 01:18:24 pm »
A week ago I discovered that 282mm spokes were not quite enough for the long side of my wheels.  Yesterday 282mm spokes arrived and the long side of my wheels now contain spokes. When I have an evening without half a bottle of wine in me I will tension and true these wheels.

???

Original message edited.
Probably why I got the wrong size in the first place.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #5158 on: 06 March, 2012, 01:19:18 pm »
Ah ok :)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #5159 on: 06 March, 2012, 01:43:26 pm »
Work Stuff.  Not enough stuff - there's not enough hours in the day to fettle all the stuff that I need to fettle - but stuff.

And I think now I shall attempt some head-fettling by riding home.

Mr Arch

• Maker of things! Married to Arch!
  • Gothic Arch
« Reply #5160 on: 07 March, 2012, 09:36:03 pm »
I have fettled a foot pedal controlled router! :thumbsup:

The router is 110V and switching the transformer on and off bypassed the router's soft start and electric braking. I didn't really want to modify the router switch as I would like to remove it from the router table and use it hand held sometimes.

So I fettled some wood, a brake cable and a brake lever.

The pedal now works the switch as if hand held. A spring under the brake lever keeps it in the up position.

I just need to put a cover over the foot switch so it isn't accidentally activated, and fit an isolator switch to the transformer.

« Reply #5161 on: 07 March, 2012, 10:10:04 pm »
Moved my seat forward on the Fixed so now it is nearly the same as the Etape - as that is sooooo cooomfy.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #5162 on: 08 March, 2012, 12:11:59 am »
Tried and failed to get a solid tyre on a (Remploy) wheelchair front "caster" wheel.  Nightmare!  It makes the most difficult bicycle pneumatic tyre and rim combination seem deliciously easy.  I will resume when my 12" tyre lever arrives.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #5163 on: 08 March, 2012, 01:40:27 pm »
...Got it on, with the help of cable ties, a 12" lever, and a bit of the old ultra-violence.

I will have no sympathy for people complaining about fitting bike tyres!
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #5164 on: 08 March, 2012, 02:37:28 pm »
Just remembered I needed to fettle the front mech on the InBred.

So went out, released the cable, adjusted the low limit screw in a bit then tried thightening up the bolt.

It got so far then just slipped.  Bugger, thought it was just the bolt that had stripped threads (which I replaced last week).

So looked for a new bolt, all too long.

Try a bolt and washers to fettle it, first attempt had 4 washers and looked a mess.

I then found some of my M5 stainless bolts that are just slightly too long, fixed with 2 washers and all now working (looks like it is only the middle bit of the thread in the mech that is buggered, so the first bit and last bit grip ok).

Now all I need to do, just to be certain, is to find another 6603 front mech to replace that one (I don't fancy being stuck in the middle of France or Spain with no front shifting)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #5165 on: 08 March, 2012, 02:50:45 pm »
I've just finished the new wheels for the soot bike - DT RR465 rims on Ultegra hubs, with Pro 3 light tyres and latex tubes.  They look fantastic and the shirt spin I just did felt very good.  Anyone need a pair of low mileage ksyrium Elites?  ;D

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #5166 on: 08 March, 2012, 02:54:50 pm »
I've just finished the new wheels for the soot bike - DT RR465 rims on Ultegra hubs, with Pro 3 light tyres and latex tubes.  They look fantastic and the shirt spin I just did felt very good.  Anyone need a pair of low mileage ksyrium Elites?  ;D

Fungus has just wrecked so, maybe he would be interested?
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5167 on: 08 March, 2012, 03:23:53 pm »
... the shirt spin I just did felt very good. 

Be careful to hang them up to dry straight afterwards to minimise ironing ;)
Getting there...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5168 on: 08 March, 2012, 03:31:21 pm »
I experimentally turned barakta's trike into Luggage.  I seriously wouldn't want to lug it anywhere in that state, though.

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
« Reply #5169 on: 08 March, 2012, 03:33:27 pm »
I experimentally turned barakta's trike into Luggage.  I seriously wouldn't want to lug it anywhere in that state, though.

Does the capitalization imply little wooden legs and a foul temper?
Half term's when the traffic becomes mysteriously less bad for a week.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5170 on: 08 March, 2012, 03:39:19 pm »
One out of two isn't bad, I suppose.

Little wooden legs would be so much easier...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5171 on: 08 March, 2012, 03:41:12 pm »
It's not a practical carrying option; it's camouflage.
Getting there...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5172 on: 08 March, 2012, 04:00:31 pm »
It's not a practical carrying option; it's camouflage.

Exactly.

« Reply #5173 on: 08 March, 2012, 06:31:13 pm »
it will fit in a large bike bag with wheels or on top of a carry freedom city trailer  :)
the slower you go the more you see

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #5174 on: 08 March, 2012, 06:53:24 pm »
Got home from work just as the Nice Lady next door and her two Small Boys got back from the park. One Small Boy had an important question to ask me:

"Tim, can you fix my bike?"

A small, plastic wheeled bike with stabilisers. The chain had come off. Putting it back on wasn't made easy by the presence of a chain guard.

Open SEECRIT BUNKER to obtain tools and light.

"That's where Tim mends his bikes"

Dismantle bike, find chain link is missing the safety clip thing. Rootle in box of bits for replacement. Find one, fit it. Tighten chain. Reassemble.

Small Boy has huge grin.

Job done.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)