Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2204793 times)

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #5175 on: 08 March, 2012, 07:04:27 pm »
First stage of the Pugsley build, fitted the freewheel! This will be incremental as the parts are all coming from different places.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5176 on: 08 March, 2012, 08:41:45 pm »
Great stuff, Tim!
Getting there...

« Reply #5177 on: 08 March, 2012, 08:51:23 pm »
New pads onto the front brake of my bike, I was going to put the old front ones onto the back but decided the amount of extra life in them wasn't worth it and it was all rather mucky.

Will just pick up some new pads for the rear next time I'm in Halfords.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #5178 on: 08 March, 2012, 09:34:09 pm »
New wheels onto my bike...

My winter wheels with the Marathon + got a sidewall gash the other day, and tho I got home after replacing the tube, I'd not use the tyre for another long run into the wilds, so I'm waiting for new M+ to be delivered.

But I need to do a commute tomorrow, so I've rather prematurely put the summer wheels on, with their Krylions.

Took it for a spin round the block, and it don't half feel fast again!   
Like the feeling you get when you take heavily-laden panniers off, or a heavy rucksack, and it feels like you're floating! Woo!

« Reply #5179 on: 08 March, 2012, 09:56:18 pm »
Got the Etape ready for the commute.  Carradice and one light transferred, plus tools and computer.

« Reply #5180 on: 09 March, 2012, 07:06:25 pm »
Molished another Garmin USB charge only (no data) cable. I found one exactly the right length to run from the Dahon Reecharge battery pack in my tribag to the Garmin so this gets rid of a few inches of excess cable. My previous cable also had one of those chunky round things on it, which was less than streamlined. I didn't even burn myself on my soldering iron, and did an awesome solder thanks to some lovely lead solder a friend gave me when I was lamenting the unavailability of leaded solder these days.

I have a new Deuter tribag from CRC which is perfect for the job of holding the battery pack because it has a top zip that opens from the front allowing the cables to exit there. I fell out with the velcro on the Topeak bag, it was such a pain to open and close quickly. This bag is probably not fully water proof, but the Reecharge battery is so no worries there. The worse that can happen is my Harribo and tissues get soggy in there.

Also fitted a new QR Bagman to the Sabbath, I had cannibalised the previous one for the Pompetamine. Carradice have improved the design of it, the support rail now doesn't have grub screws (hoorah!) and has a lip that bends upwards at the rear giving the Barley much more support. It also comes with the ridgid plastic rod that can replace the 2 loops, although I didn't fit this to the Barley. Well done Carradice for improving the design  :thumbsup:

« Reply #5181 on: 09 March, 2012, 09:24:11 pm »
We just did some final fettling on a couple of rings...

MFWHTBAB made mine out of yew, and three little brass screws from an electrical fuse box.  I plaited MFWHTBAB's out of inner electrical cable, and the gold coloured wire mesh from around a bottle of wine.

If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #5182 on: 09 March, 2012, 09:25:43 pm »

MFWHTBAB made mine out of yew, and three little brass screws from an electrical fuse box.  I plaited MFWHTBAB's out of inner electrical cable, and the gold coloured wire mesh from around a bottle of wine.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #5183 on: 09 March, 2012, 09:28:00 pm »
Nice one Arch  :thumbsup:

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #5184 on: 09 March, 2012, 09:52:42 pm »
I've accidentally turned my Roubaix into a fixie.  :-[
a great mind thinks alike

LindaG

« Reply #5185 on: 09 March, 2012, 09:56:23 pm »

Those rings are lovely.  How beautiful.  Your rings express the people you are.  This is as it should be.

Congratulations you two.   :)

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #5186 on: 09 March, 2012, 09:57:38 pm »

Those are happalicious rings!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5187 on: 09 March, 2012, 10:16:52 pm »
Utterly and completely beautiful.
Getting there...

« Reply #5188 on: 09 March, 2012, 10:18:41 pm »
Fab :D
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #5189 on: 10 March, 2012, 10:10:23 am »
Fantastic rings, really sweet.  :thumbsup:
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #5190 on: 10 March, 2012, 11:05:26 am »
I haven't fettled anything as beautiful as Arch's rings, all I've done is fettle the car into our new Team Car ...

We've had mini people carriers before but never carried bikes on one so I was anxious to know how easy it would be to get Tina the Tandem on the roof.  In actual fact it wasn't too hard though it was a two person job as it has always been.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #5191 on: 10 March, 2012, 11:40:47 am »
Got my commuter back on the road, mainly so I could run some errands this morning.*  This involved swapping the winter tyres (which I never really needed) for the Marathon Tours and putting on new inner tubes (popped both when taking the winter tyres up to full pressure - obviously they weren't seated properly).  15km was more than enough to prove the Hewitt is a smoother ride, but the Orbea is still lots of fun. L)

* There's no way I'm using the Hewitt to run errands and leave it unattended!
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5192 on: 10 March, 2012, 12:07:54 pm »
Good stuff, OD!

Andrij: It feels good to get an old friend back on the road, doesn't it?
Getting there...

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #5193 on: 10 March, 2012, 01:43:10 pm »
The home network back into some semblence of order after it all going down when the sparky switched everything off.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #5194 on: 10 March, 2012, 01:52:25 pm »
When out to clean the bike and noticed I had a front puncture >:(, then a split in the tyre :o so one hour later nice clean bike, and chain and new tyre  :)

« Reply #5195 on: 10 March, 2012, 04:59:31 pm »
Too many scary moments on last night's 30 miles (including chain dropped just as I was kicking off to cross the A41), so on the old steel hack:

- New 7 speed freewheel
- New SRAM PC850 chain
- New OBP brake pads on the front

Probably £15's worth but would be 4 times that on my 10 speed bikes, still the most cost effective cycling for me without going single speed.

I see a lot of rust on this frame so will have to do something serious shortly

« Reply #5196 on: 10 March, 2012, 05:20:31 pm »
Disassembled the System X hub and established the bearings were fooked.  Ordered new ones via the LBS.

Juan Martín

• Consigo mi abrigo
« Reply #5197 on: 10 March, 2012, 06:22:31 pm »
I am recovering from a heavy cold so was restricted to light pottering duties today spending a happy few hours in the garage.

Removed the cranks from the Witcomb using the £5 puller purchased from Amazon and then managed to chase out the broken crank bolt with a fairy chisel so I didn't have to resort to drilling it and using an easy out. The BB appears to be new, which is a bit of good news. Replaced the centre pull brakes with a set of Weinmann deep drop units courtesy of fruitcake and fitted the Campag shifters and front mech courtesy of eck. Now this looks much more like it! I'll pop round to the LBC tomorrow and nag them about my wheels. I am struggling a bit with the seatpost - the bike came with at 26.8 dia alloy post that was in poor condition and a very tight fit, a 1'' post dropped straight down the tube but luckily came out again. As an interim measure I bought a shim but despite carefully measuring it with a vernier this proved to be too tight so I think that the tube, or at least the end, is probably oval. I've taped up the 1" post to a reasonable sliding fit and I'll try to get a more accurate measurement from that.

After all that I retaped the bars on the Coventry Eagle. As this is essentially a skip bike I bought the cheapest that I could find - a fiver from Amazon. It proved to be surprisingly good quality and loads of it.

So, I feel that I have had quite a productive day - hopefully I'll feel fit enough to go out tomorrow.

« Reply #5198 on: 10 March, 2012, 07:10:45 pm »
I haven't fettled anything as beautiful as Arch's rings, all I've done is fettle the car into our new Team Car ...

We've had mini people carriers before but never carried bikes on one so I was anxious to know how easy it would be to get Tina the Tandem on the roof.  In actual fact it wasn't too hard though it was a two person job as it has always been.

As that's a C-Max, you can should you want, get a bracket from Ford that fits onto one of the rear seat securing points (seats out totally) into which you can place the front forks of a solo. With luck you can get two solos in the back "kneeling" like that, though you may need to lower the seatposts so the saddle clears the roof lining.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #5199 on: 10 March, 2012, 09:23:26 pm »
A bit of minor fettling to Red, a quick clean, oiled the chain, pumped up the tyres, adjusted and tightened the rear light fitting, all in preparation for a night ride to Ramsgate to watch things be blown up.
Actually, it is rocket science.