Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2193847 times)

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #9950 on: 28 December, 2014, 09:06:15 pm »
Have extracted the motor from the washing machine. As suspected the brushes are EOL. I have some on order but will pop down to the local white goods repair place tomorrow to see if they have some Here! Now!.

"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #9951 on: 28 December, 2014, 09:37:01 pm »
Fettled my Pomp for tomorrow's commute and tweaked the gears on HK's MTB for her commute tomorrow.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #9952 on: 28 December, 2014, 10:15:07 pm »
Decided that, as I'm still dithering about the new frame, I had to replace the knackered headset on the fixed. That's knackered as in threads stripped and only held together by an otherwise redundant quill-mounted brake cable hanger.

LBS had an adequate alloy, needle-bearing one: one-inch threaded.

Crown race was a bugger to get off. New one impossible to fit even after heating until I'd brandished a file at the top of the crown.

Everything else squeezed together okay.

Then I discovered that the 'brake' bolt (that only holds the mudguard on) fouled the headset. So had to hunt for bits to allow the mudguard bracket to sit 10mm further back.

Eventually all done and smoothly solid feeling.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #9953 on: 28 December, 2014, 10:32:11 pm »
Swapped my brake blocks for Koolstops.  :thumbsup:
Getting there...

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #9954 on: 28 December, 2014, 11:46:03 pm »
Replaced the two broken spokes in my raleigh's back wheel which have been waiting to be fixed since June :-[

Just need to get another set of SPD pedals and it should work as a turbo bike again :)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #9955 on: 30 December, 2014, 12:51:56 pm »
A spot of wheel-swapping.

Took the usual wheels off the not-Tifosi, having established with the help of this board that they really are as worn as I'd feared. Got the old wheels off the hack bike and put them on the not-Tifosi instead (and while I had the hack bike inside, I gave the chain a much-needed oiling).

Finally, put the spare wheels from the old fixed on to the hack bike, which I'd meant to do anyway as (1) they aren't QR so they're a bit better for leaving locked up outside, and (2) the rear wheel is 120mm so actually fits in the dropouts without causing me pain and injury. I don't have a freewheel so it'll have to run fixed for a bit, but that's ok as I get a bit confused swapping between the two and sometimes forget about the freewheel anyway.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #9956 on: 30 December, 2014, 03:31:47 pm »
A solar-powered "robot". Unfortunately I was unable to fettle the weather to match.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #9957 on: 31 December, 2014, 10:26:45 pm »
Decided to fit my new-to-me Bagman rack to my winter bike a couple days ago, turns out the support arms have been cut a tad too short to fit but think if I pack light it'll cope without them for now as the rack is partially supported by the mudguard. Must see if I can get a pair of support arms from Carradice.

Also found out that the chain had turned solid over it's time in the shed so decided to change that too. At which point I found the jockey wheels wouldn't turn at all even when cleaned up and oiled.

Did look at getting some new ones but given the rest of the corrosion on the rear derailleur I think I'll pick up a cheapie whole unit for now. And save towards a better winter bike. Something with disc brakes I think and a front chain ring bigger than 20 odd teeth.

Maybe a old trials/dirt jump bike wasn't the bestest bet for a winter rat bike but it did the job for a couple years.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #9958 on: 03 January, 2015, 11:04:42 am »
I'm feeling a bit chuffed with myself. We had an expensive combination oven that was especially useful for proving dough as the oven temp started at 40º but one day the microwave stopped working. It's been gathering dust for a few years while I waited to justify the cost of fixing it - assuming it was the magnetron so call-out fee + part = more than a cheap microwave.

Anyway, time to decide whether to chuck it away  :o Why not have a quick look to see if there's an internal fuse blown.

Ignore the dire warnings about high voltage and no user serviceable parts - any scary capacitors would be discharged by now. There's one fuse and it's on the PS, so it can't be that (check it anyway - fine). No obvious signs of magic smoke escaping. Look up the magnetron part no. to see how much they are, but they're only available in Australia, there's a comment about magnetrons being open circuit when knackered. Time to check with multimeter - hang on, this doesn't look right, the connectors are not fully in, they are held up by their insulators! They must have gradually shaken loose by the fan or something.

Put it all back together, and it works perfectly! Apart from the controls needing a few hundred turns to sort out the contacts...

:thumbsup:
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #9959 on: 03 January, 2015, 11:25:51 am »
Hmm.. I've got one of those. It's never occurred to me to prove dough in it....how long do you give it?
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #9960 on: 03 January, 2015, 11:50:47 am »
I can't remember - it's so long since it worked - it was just "until doubled in size" the first few times to work it out.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #9961 on: 03 January, 2015, 06:51:26 pm »
Just got home from skiing holliberries to face the busted washing machine.
Only half of the replacement parts had arrived whilst I was away.

The fault was a burned-out connector, damaging both the door lock mechanism and the wiring loom.
Temporary repair required, so old parts were chopped, butchered, soldered, and generally kicked into working order.

So we have a washing machine to start into the mountain of smelly kit that 4 people can make on a ski trip.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #9962 on: 04 January, 2015, 02:40:18 pm »
I took a bit of old inner tube, cut it lengthways and sewed it around the thready mess of plastic string that used to be the paper recycling bag handles. Hopefully to make some handles the cats won't try to eat. Only caused blud (mine) once. Then I left a large piece of tube and some small rings lying around for the kittens to investigate which are apparently the best things since the last best thing.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #9963 on: 05 January, 2015, 08:01:41 pm »
I've just replaced the Koolstops on the front of my Dave Yates.

Now I'm trying to remember when I fitted them - certainly before PBP 2011. So, conservatively, I'd guess that they lasted 10,000 miles.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #9964 on: 06 January, 2015, 08:50:35 pm »
ime, chain and cassette wear ratio corresponds to brake pad and rim wear, roughly 3:1

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #9965 on: 07 January, 2015, 02:50:45 am »
I took a bit of old inner tube, cut it lengthways and sewed it around the thready mess of plastic string that used to be the paper recycling bag handles. Hopefully to make some handles the cats won't try to eat. Only caused blud (mine) once. Then I left a large piece of tube and some small rings lying around for the kittens to investigate which are apparently the best things since the last best thing.

er kitten photos...we are waiting.

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #9966 on: 08 January, 2015, 09:41:45 pm »
(Slightly) spectacular bulb-blowing moment this evening - it managed to take both the fuse from the lamp and the breaker circuit with it.

I'm mostly impressed with a) the fact that I could fix it, and b) that I actually had the correct spare bulbs and fuses in the house. Me, grown up? Of course!

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #9967 on: 09 January, 2015, 03:50:46 am »
Still haven't fettled the front dérailleur on the flat bar on the current bike.  So just stick it in the middle cog and leave it like that....

« Reply #9968 on: 09 January, 2015, 11:38:03 am »
Pumped up the tyres on the hybrid, and put a saddle on it.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #9969 on: 09 January, 2015, 11:59:11 am »
Still haven't fettled the front dérailleur on the flat bar on the current bike.  So just stick it in the middle cog and leave it like that....

I haven't even got round to fitting the front derailleur or left hand shifter to my hybrid, so it's been in the middle ring for months.

« Reply #9970 on: 10 January, 2015, 09:46:39 pm »
Having got all the bits together a few days ago, finished fettling Mrs B's Orbit. It is no longer fitted with worn out Shimano 7 speed Deore DX from the 1990s. It's now fitted with fully functional, either new or fairly lightly used Shimano Sora & Tiagra 9 speed.

Everything has been on it for a couple of days except the chain, cables & bar tape, & today I fitted them. When did I get so bad at it? It took me ages.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #9971 on: 10 January, 2015, 09:53:01 pm »
Replaced the threshold strip between my front room and hallway with one for joining the right two sorts of floor together so it no longer has carpet gripper teeth pointing up at you.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9972 on: 10 January, 2015, 10:33:18 pm »
Replaced the threshold strip between my front room and hallway with one for joining the right two sorts of floor together so it no longer has carpet gripper teeth pointing up at you.

Cor, I did one of those the other day.  It had succumbed to the combined forces of the UberHoover and barakta's stumblyness, such that the smooth upper bit had detached from the lower plate with the teeth, forming a trip hazard.

Pondered the various options at the local DIY shed, and ended up bodging it with a single-strip one designed for vinyl, on the basis it would form the smoothest transition between carpet and step-edge.  Some muppet has glued the carpet down anyway, so the lack of teeth shouldn't be an issue.  Finished the job with high-quality wood screws rather than rusty panel pins, which should improve its long-term chances.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #9973 on: 10 January, 2015, 10:38:13 pm »
Mine's been waiting since I replaced the hallway carpet with vinyl and the front room carpet with laminate last spring. The bar was repurposed from elsewhere and was hooked onto the laminate on one side but lying on top of the vinyl, trying to catch any passing feet/tyres.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #9974 on: 11 January, 2015, 01:19:30 am »
Oiled Teethgrinder's chain and wiped off some of the mud.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...