Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2212280 times)

Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #10550 on: 26 October, 2015, 05:54:47 pm »
Topped up the oil in the rear brake on the MTB.  Some of the slippery downhills on yesterday's outing were getting a bit too exciting with the left lever to the bars and the bike still accelerating  :o

Replaced the front gear inner on the winter bike which involved stripping and rebuilding the front shifter twice (don't ask  :hand:).

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #10551 on: 27 October, 2015, 11:56:59 am »
Converted the front wheel of the Renegade to tubeless.

Then a furniture delivery arrived so I have swapped the gubbins out of the old TV cabinet into the new and unboxed a desk. Finishing the desk will take some time as I need to empty and move the filing cabinet first!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #10552 on: 27 October, 2015, 06:06:41 pm »
A RH Alivio Rapidfire 9-speed shifter which had managed to disassemble itself in use.**

Kudos to the punter for rescuing all the bits!

Smugness points to Torslanda for managing 1. To molish a working shifter without any bits left over & 2. Molishing same without recourse to either youtube or dismantling a new one (which seemed like an option at one stage!)

**Just because you can doesn't mean you should or even want to do it again . . .
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #10553 on: 27 October, 2015, 07:00:27 pm »
House-elf stuff again. Mainly clearing up a bedroom which has recently had new plasterboard on walls and ceiling (to replace the old and very worn out fibre-board) but has not been skimmed yet.

Made a few offers on Freecycle.

Can't believe how much junk we've got. We've got to stop thinking stuff might 'come in handy'.  :hand:
We have two ears and one mouth for a reason. We should do twice as much listening as talking.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #10554 on: 27 October, 2015, 07:17:25 pm »

Can't believe how much junk we've got. We've got to stop thinking stuff might 'come in handy'.  :hand:

A-MEN, REVEREND!!!!!!!!!!!
VELOMANCER

« Reply #10555 on: 27 October, 2015, 07:40:15 pm »
I was actually throwing away mail shots and flyers dating from 2011 today, strewth.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

fuzzy

« Reply #10556 on: 28 October, 2015, 09:08:44 am »
Any thoughts on how to remove limescale stains on the bowl itself?  It's too high up to cover with those cleaners, unless I bought vast amounts.  The thought of a flush going wrong, and spilling it all over the bathroom floor doesn't bear thinking about!

I get under the rim of the pan by using an old tooth brush dipped in the acid pool in the bottom of the pan. Dip and scrub around the rim, rapid exit and breath for a few minutes, repeat for a while then flush.

« Reply #10557 on: 28 October, 2015, 10:50:18 am »
Any thoughts on how to remove limescale stains on the bowl itself?  It's too high up to cover with those cleaners, unless I bought vast amounts.  The thought of a flush going wrong, and spilling it all over the bathroom floor doesn't bear thinking about!

I get under the rim of the pan by using an old tooth brush dipped in the acid pool in the bottom of the pan. Dip and scrub around the rim, rapid exit and breath for a few minutes, repeat for a while then flush.

A pumice stone (one of those jobs people use to get dead skin off their heels with a nice rounded end). Chemical free and surprisingly doesn't damage the enamel surface. The bad bit is you need to stick your hand in  ;D

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #10558 on: 28 October, 2015, 01:10:26 pm »
Fixed a puncture and fitted new Marathon +s to the trusty rusty commuter. No swearing involved  :smug:

« Reply #10559 on: 28 October, 2015, 01:47:51 pm »
Cleaned and checked my bike. Found a broken rear spoke, which I hope happened in the dangly bike space on the way home as I didn't notice it while riding around during the last week.

Got the next bike out, cleaned, oiled and fitted for Miss Dan the Younger.

« Reply #10560 on: 28 October, 2015, 10:51:31 pm »
Fettled mudguards. Winter is here. :'(

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10561 on: 30 October, 2015, 04:52:11 pm »
Cheap ebay mountain bike light...

Dismantled in order to prod around in case there was an obvious R/C network that could be tweaked in order to render the flashing mode (which you usually end up going through to get to 'off') somewhat less seizure-inducing.  Gave up because, well, have you ever tried to use an oscilloscope probe while having your brains strobed out?  Yeah.  The board was also a very densely populated SMD affair (actually pretty good quality by the standards of cheap Chinese tat) with limited scope for bodging.

Spent an inordinate amount of time getting the o-rings and such lined up in order to mantle it again, obviously.

Then fettled the handlebar bracket to achieve a small degree of widdershins wonk, in order to compensate for the back sweep of the handlebars and aim the optics straight ahead.  This was somewhat more successful.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #10562 on: 01 November, 2015, 12:20:55 pm »
Went to clean the filthy commuting bike and replace the cracked rear mudguard but found the rear hub wasn't turning smoothly; the RH locknut had come loose.  Was fine last time I tightened the chain, about two months ago.  Anyway, the hub is now all in bits as a precaution, something I've been meaning to do for a long time.  It's a Sturmey-Archer SRC3 (3-speed and coaster brake) and it was all clean and apparently unworn inside.  Even the brake shoes look barely used; I was expecting them to be knackered after 2.5 years of almost daily use.  Currently marinading in paraffin and then it will need cleaning, drying and three different greases (!) to put it back together.  Normal grease for the bearings, special SA brown runny grease for the gears and Ceratec brake grease for the coaster brake.  I imagine it all mixes toigether eventually, but it' the thought that counts.  I have a set of three new ball races for it.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #10563 on: 01 November, 2015, 03:08:26 pm »
Arsebollocks.

Can't get the pedals off  >:(

Graeme very kindly got the pedals off for me the other day.   :D

Can't get the old cleats off now.

Arsebollocks.
Milk please, no sugar.

« Reply #10564 on: 02 November, 2015, 04:42:28 pm »
Changed the battery in the cheapity cheap cheap rear light. It was so cheap the battery must have been a fair proportion of its value.
Was ridiculously chuffed that it I managed to screw it back together without breaking anything as it clearly wasn't designed for long term use. See ("cheap" comment above)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #10565 on: 02 November, 2015, 04:50:33 pm »
I cleaned the Birmingham off my bike on Sunday morning and fettled the gears. But it was Sunday morning – that's really the cyclist's equivalent of polishing the Mondeo, isn't it?  :hand:
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #10566 on: 02 November, 2015, 05:41:47 pm »
I do quite a lot of footpath clearing around the parish. Arranged to meet up with another of the volunteers to tackle a double stile that had become an oasis of nettles and brambles. I arrived cleared it and wondered where he'd got to.

Turns out he was at another nearby stile, so we did two for the price of one.
We have two ears and one mouth for a reason. We should do twice as much listening as talking.

« Reply #10567 on: 02 November, 2015, 07:34:30 pm »
I just put a new pair of brake pads on the front brake of the commuter.  It wasn't that long ago that I changed them last.  They can wear down at an alarming rate when the weather's been a bit wet, and the mix of water and road gunge forms a nice paste to help grind them away.
Actually, it is rocket science.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #10568 on: 02 November, 2015, 08:49:17 pm »
I couldn't be arsed to test ride the bike last night so I just got on it and rode to work this morning.  I made a slight adjustment to the gear cable after a mile, then decided after two miles that it had been right to begin with and adjusted it back*.  I do not actually recommend fitting a new chain, sprocket, overhauling a Sturmey-Archer-hub, fitting a new rear mudguard and then relying on it all to work first time at 7.15 the next morning, but I got away with it  :smug:

*the huge 175mm rear axle, specially imported via the Things in the USA, is supposed to take the "Mark 5" indicator but it doesn't.  A "Mark 4" isn;t right either, so I use the bog-standard short indicator and adjust so that the transition between normal and high gear is halfway between "2" and "3" on the trigger.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #10569 on: 05 November, 2015, 10:41:45 pm »
Turned a 501 Raleigh Record Sprint with terminal rust into a Peugeot Cr-Mo Competition 200*. In truth the Raleigh has been living on borrowed time for a while. When I first saw it 18 months ago the bottom bracket threads were mullered and both chainstays badly corroded. Definitely a Trigger's Broom! Which reminds me, I haven't taken any pics!

*Special thanks to mzjo OTP for the frame.
VELOMANCER

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #10570 on: 06 November, 2015, 09:00:45 am »
Fettled the microwave. Well, cleaned its insides, which, given the state of them, counts as fettling a new one!  :sick: Must resume using the cover.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #10571 on: 06 November, 2015, 12:29:25 pm »
Client needed a custom frame for her shower chair, but all the other bits - backrest, footplates, arms, seat etc could be swapped from the old frame to the new one. Stores delivered the new frame and just left it without swapping the bits over. So I went to do it myself but one of the nuts had seized, so I got the housing association's maintenance guy over to loosen it. Then I gave it a good sloosh of WD40 and put all the old bits on the new frame.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #10572 on: 06 November, 2015, 08:40:03 pm »
I've just cleared away all the bike-related gubbins on my workbench, and re-installed the ski vices in preparation ski-fettling.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #10573 on: 06 November, 2015, 08:44:45 pm »
Seat post and cranks removed from the broken Raleigh. I was going to remove the BB but I can't find my tool :(

Also been looking round inside the seat tube with an endoscope :)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #10574 on: 07 November, 2015, 08:16:49 pm »
Went to the Tayside wood turners club. They were very nice. Offered me the chance to have a go and so I did. First time I've ever tried this. Came away with an egg cup.

My first wood turning item by David Martin, on Flickr

"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes