Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2212179 times)

Chris S

Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #3025 on: 13 February, 2011, 08:31:55 am »
Let this be a lesson to you all: Always keep a screwdriver, textphone and morse code lookup table in your bathroom.

Frankly, in your household I'm very surprised to hear these weren't already in your bathroom...  ;)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3026 on: 13 February, 2011, 02:50:38 pm »
Well, for what it's worth I've put a Morse chart up on the back of the bathroom door.  Prior experience with practising fingerspell while on the loo suggests this will eventually be effective.

(We've been saying we should learn Morse for ages, if only for emergency phone-in-voice-mode situations, and for use in bed.  Deafblind manual is far too fiddly, as it requires access to hands.)

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #3027 on: 13 February, 2011, 03:54:23 pm »
Morse pillowtalk.  You nerds. :thumbsup:

Rear brake fettle here, as part of a whole-bike post-wintering.  Removed and cleaned the v-arms, regreased the nubs and reassembled; replaced the entire cableway from the lever, keeping it as short as sensible (the last one had a couple of inches of flab); chased escaping ferrules around my lair with old HDD magnets; brake now actually stops in a crisp and pleasant way!
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

corshamjim

« Reply #3028 on: 13 February, 2011, 04:40:50 pm »
Cleaned the Trek after last weeks Flapjack Audax - I wonder when this 'new bike syndrome' will wear off?

Cleaned the Dahon so lbs won't have to work on a mucky bike tomorrow when they replace the headset bearings for me.  Noted the rust on chain - sprayed it liberally with TF2 - that will have to do for now.

Commenced replacement of rip-off mobile 'phone contract with payg.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #3029 on: 13 February, 2011, 05:46:30 pm »
Stripped a Pashley Pickle tricycle to frame, forks, mudguards, chain-guard ready to take to the powder coat man tomorrow - it's a real miracle of miniature (well, for a 17"and upwards inside leg) cycle engineering.

Rob

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #3030 on: 13 February, 2011, 05:55:43 pm »
The Pickle uses the same fork crown as the early Moultons.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #3031 on: 13 February, 2011, 06:37:59 pm »

(We've been saying we should learn Morse for ages, if only for emergency phone-in-voice-mode situations, and for use in bed. 

Been reading too much Iain Banks?
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

« Reply #3032 on: 14 February, 2011, 01:43:46 pm »
Yesterday admittedly, but still well within the last 24 hours: turned the Paddy Wagon upside down in the shed, cleaned about half a pound of greasy grimy black gunk off the chain, sprocket and chainring, wiped the chain down with a cloth, oiled, wiped it down again, tensioned the chain, flipped bike back over.  That's the half-yearly maintenance done.

Now I must try to remember where I left the giant adjustable spanner that Jurek used last weekend when he came round to help with some organ removal work...

« Reply #3033 on: 14 February, 2011, 02:55:54 pm »
The Pickle uses the same fork crown as the early Moultons.

With a longer handle so you can get vinegar on your fingers.

edit: FTFM -  With a longer handle so you can don't get vinegar on your fingers.

« Reply #3034 on: 14 February, 2011, 04:25:35 pm »
Now I must try to remember where I left the giant adjustable spanner that Jurek used last weekend when he came round to help with some organ removal work...

... Last seen still attached to the webbing. With a half-hitch.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #3035 on: 14 February, 2011, 04:39:33 pm »
Dismantled HK's MTB, now need to get headset bearings, a new seat-post, a replacement derailleur limit screw and new spokes to rebuild the rear wheel.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #3036 on: 14 February, 2011, 11:02:09 pm »
Gatorskins off, Krylion Carbons on. Liking it so far.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

« Reply #3037 on: 15 February, 2011, 08:36:58 pm »
krylions are 'sposed to be rather nice if you can find em
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Tail End Charlie

« Reply #3038 on: 15 February, 2011, 08:40:46 pm »
Fitted a BB7 to the front of my tourer. Feels a bit spongy at the mo' but I'll give the adjustment another go tomorrow and then give it time to bed in.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #3039 on: 16 February, 2011, 09:08:04 am »
I will be swapping the no longer round and slightly cracked campagnolo ambrosio rim for a DRC STII one that is clean, round and has yet to suffer the ministrations of Perthshires potholes.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #3040 on: 16 February, 2011, 11:49:32 am »
A projector, and another projector, and some tracking software, and a webpage.  And some other stuff, but I've forgotten already....

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #3041 on: 16 February, 2011, 11:51:16 am »
I'm fettling images for a website.
It is simpler than it looks.

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #3042 on: 16 February, 2011, 12:47:05 pm »
My spokes arrived on Monday so I spoked the wheel.
I originally intended to true the wheel on the weekend but I could not resist. So I am slowly getting closer to the wheel I want to build.  At the moment I think I am between a machine built wheel and one made by a master wheel builder.  I can improve it so I will but it takes me loads of time.

« Reply #3043 on: 16 February, 2011, 01:17:36 pm »
I just replaced the G4 bulbs in our cheapo kitchen downlighters and a right feckin' faff it was too. Broke one of the not cheapo Philps bulbs into the bargain!
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #3044 on: 16 February, 2011, 06:47:19 pm »
fettling wee bits of fuzzy felt to make some miniature carpets and mats on the 1/24 scale Merc Benz 540K i'm fettling together!  I need smaller fingers!

-edit-- an hour later, bits of felt stuck to my nose to the model, and it doesn't look too bad, if a little too fuzzy..... 

Pippa

• Busy being fabulous
« Reply #3045 on: 16 February, 2011, 08:43:50 pm »
New chain on my fixie. This was my first fettling experience beyond dealing with a puncture.

I was dead impressed I seemed to manage without too much swearing  :thumbsup:

I have, however, just noticed all the little black footprints around the flat where I managed to get a big blob of black gunk from the expired chain onto the sole of my foot  :facepalm:

« Reply #3046 on: 16 February, 2011, 09:51:56 pm »
I cleaned my bike, and it seems the neighbours were all mightily impressed because I did it on the workstand on my front drive at the time they were all coming home from work. They all seemed to want to know what the thing my bike was mounted on is.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3047 on: 16 February, 2011, 10:08:02 pm »
Cleaned & oiled my chain.

Shhhh!  Don't tell my skoggy frame, or it might get jealous :-\
Getting there...

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #3048 on: 16 February, 2011, 10:35:59 pm »
Pingu put new brake blocks on my bike for me. I 'helped', and then dispensed tea & cake :P
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #3049 on: 18 February, 2011, 11:12:52 am »
A puncture.Fail.
Yesterdays puncture,when tested in a bucket of water,revealed no air bubbles :o
So I refitted the tube.
Checked this morning & the tyre is flat.Checked again for bubbles in water.No Bubbles :o
Sod it.Fitted new tube & relegated suspect tube to the "to be cut up for packers &thelike" stock.