Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2194341 times)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #3050 on: 18 February, 2011, 02:57:44 pm »
Fitted a new BB to one of HK's bikes. I finally feel like I'm getting ahead of the game and the end of the maintenance backlog might be in sight.

Repacked HK's MTB headset, fitted a replacement seatpost bolt and will be respoking the rear wheel after dinner. Just need to replace the front wheel and seatpost, restring the cables and fit Ergon grips and it can finally be used again.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #3051 on: 18 February, 2011, 03:01:17 pm »
I have, however, just noticed all the little black footprints around the flat where I managed to get a big blob of black gunk from the expired chain onto the sole of my foot  :facepalm:

Dark carpeting FTW!  Though a drop cloth of some sort is probably a better idea.

;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #3052 on: 18 February, 2011, 05:19:58 pm »
Or, indeed, laminate flooring.  Although we discovered that laminate flooring+marathon winters=need to be veeeeeeeeery careful parking the bike.

« Reply #3053 on: 19 February, 2011, 01:42:57 am »
I have had a bike electronics fettle-fest.

Moved my IQ Cyo onto a longer fork crown bracket to clear the brake cable.

Fitted a wire with piggy back spade connectors to my dyno hub, and a Tamiya connector on the other end just under my bars.
Fitted the other half of the Tamiya connector to my new Dahon Reecharge USB charging thingy that now lives inside my bar bag because it is fugly.

Cut open and soldered the data wires together inside a Garmin mini USB cable so charging it doesn't send it into PC mode.
Discovered how to use my self amalgamating tape to seal it all up.

I am considering adding a mini switch somewhere so I can turn the charger on and off more easily than disconnecting the Tamiya connector, but it all works very well as it is  :thumbsup:

I managed not to cut myself with the stanley knife I was using but I did burn my thumb on my soldering iron. I burn myself on the damn thing every time I use it, which so far is twice  :facepalm:

« Reply #3054 on: 19 February, 2011, 08:21:12 am »
I have had a bike electronics fettle-fest.

Moved my IQ Cyo onto a longer fork crown bracket to clear the brake cable.

Fitted a wire with piggy back spade connectors to my dyno hub, and a Tamiya connector on the other end just under my bars.
Fitted the other half of the Tamiya connector to my new Dahon Reecharge USB charging thingy that now lives inside my bar bag because it is fugly.

Cut open and soldered the data wires together inside a Garmin mini USB cable so charging it doesn't send it into PC mode.
Discovered how to use my self amalgamating tape to seal it all up.

I am considering adding a mini switch somewhere so I can turn the charger on and off more easily than disconnecting the Tamiya connector, but it all works very well as it is  :thumbsup:

I managed not to cut myself with the stanley knife I was using but I did burn my thumb on my soldering iron. I burn myself on the damn thing every time I use it, which so far is twice  :facepalm:

Your bike sounds more complex than my car. Will you also be fitting an electric motor in the bottom bracket as per the Cancellara allegations?

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #3055 on: 19 February, 2011, 11:47:38 am »
Fettled a new RJ45 plug onto the network cable that goes into the lounge, stopping the annoying cable drop out we have been experiencing for the past few weeks....
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #3056 on: 19 February, 2011, 12:14:39 pm »
Fitted the Brompton Rear Frame Clip Retro-fit Kit, hard suspension block, and easywheels.
Replaced the rear brake pads of the bent (after 7653km, I <3 disk brakes).
Forgive me Father, for I have sinned. It has been too many days since I have ridden through the night with a brevet card in my pocket...

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #3057 on: 19 February, 2011, 01:17:22 pm »
I found a combination of spacers that fits my sprocket in place on the new hub.  Added rim tape.  Added tube and tyre.  If I can remember how to ride a bike I may go out later.

corshamjim

« Reply #3058 on: 19 February, 2011, 02:30:26 pm »
Fitted a Blackburn rack to my Trek Pilot.  If I'd known what a faff it is I'd have paid the lbs to do it for me!  On the Pilot the rack screws to the inside of the fork stays which makes it really difficult getting the bolts in straight.  The rack might look ugly, but it's not ever coming off now it's on there!

I robbed the rear light off the Pashley to go on the new rack too.  I really must stop stealing - there'll be nothing left of the Pashley but the frame soon!

Of course now I have the rack I really need to go shopping for a rack pack.  There's always something to shop for!  ;D

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #3059 on: 19 February, 2011, 07:54:26 pm »
Finished HK's rear MTB wheel, fitted a new cassette and the last of the spare chains and fitted the handlebars. Not too far off finishing it now and then just the tandems to go.

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #3060 on: 19 February, 2011, 08:07:50 pm »
The recent rain had turned almost all paths into quagmires/swamps full of that special Sustrans-branded Mudd(TM), which has a trans-normal affiliation to bikes.  The very nice man at Loughborough (Great Central) station allowed me to use the hose-for-filling-coach-water-tanks to de-skogg the Trek.

It's not true that belt-drive doesn't need lubrication.  It makes nasty squeaking noises when bone-dry.  That DHMO stuff quietens it splendidly.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3061 on: 20 February, 2011, 10:22:53 pm »
I tightened TGL's chain, then had a look at my brake cable which was jammed.  I'd inspected the brake cable end last night, and it was fine, so I hoped it would be OK.  Sadly not.  It was stuck in the outer cable.  And I can't find any outer cables in the house :(

On the other hand, I got my old Galaxy out and ready for commuting.
Getting there...

Androcles

• Cycling Weakly
« Reply #3062 on: 20 February, 2011, 10:29:03 pm »
Fixed front mudguard after the stays came adrift last Thursday, cleaned a proportion of Derbyshire out of the rear guard and discovered significant oil reserves clinging to jockey wheels.

Also doused son's chain with lube as it had been quietly fossilising over the winter.
Wave upon wave of demented avengers march cheerfully out of obscurity into a dream

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #3063 on: 20 February, 2011, 10:31:44 pm »
Strung gear cables for HK's MTB. Not far to go now. Been eyeing up the tandems for the next batch of fettling.

« Reply #3064 on: 21 February, 2011, 12:50:06 am »
Fitted a tyre and tube to a new wheel. Schwalbe Durano Plus's seem to go on pretty easily, I was expecting a struggle but there was none  :D

« Reply #3065 on: 21 February, 2011, 12:59:59 am »
Pinch puncture on the rear wheel of my Ribble (trying to slalom through road detritus on the A10). Spent far too long looking for the direction arrow on the tire for direction of rotation before remembering that slick tires don't need them.

« Reply #3066 on: 21 February, 2011, 09:39:42 am »
Sat

Un-jam upstream mooring pole from the riverbed. 3 hours. Add another length of scaffold pole to existing length and hammer 5ft of scaffold pole into ground. 1 hour.  Get home and discover my hands are so knackered, I can't even lift a glass.

Sun

Start to jack land end of gangplank up (bank has slumped by 2ft, taking gangplank with it). Discover hi-lift jack has rusted and isn't working. Oil, spanners and swearing - jack now working. Get gangplank lifted by nearly 2ft. Spend one hour clearing debri from canoe's mooring lines. Matchboard and varnish side of cupboard. Go home, get take-away. Hands not too knackered to lift beer bottle. Watch Sean of the Dead and discover hip has seized completely when trying to stand up.

Now if only I could lift this cough off my lungs, I could get back on bike.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #3067 on: 21 February, 2011, 09:41:36 am »
Fairly big fettle session over the weekend.

Repaired one of the hutches where the guinea pigs had been eating the door frame.

Put my SON28 into a new OpenPro rim - the old Sputnik rim was getting badly worn, and it won't comfortably take the narrower tyres needed to fit into my Roubaix. I realised I'm not going to have time to get a SONdelux and build it before next weekend's ride, so brought forward the rim change on this hub slightly.

Started to put the Roubaix into audax mode - not strictly necessary yet for early season rides, but I want to ride it as close to possible to PBP spec all year to iron out any niggles and my first qualifier is next Saturday.
Removed the tribars, which meant moving the computer.
Put in wheel with dynohub.
Fitted IQ Cyo front light.
Removed quick release clamp for my seat pack and replaced it with a bagman expedition QR.
Realised that some of the leather straps on my Nelson are coming adrift, so sewed them back on.
Spent some time playing with rear light positions - the seat post fitting currently on there gets partially blocked by the saddlebag. Need to sort some clamps for the rear light and make a routesheet holder (my current audax bike has one custom moulded from Polymorph to fit the stem, with a bulldog clip lined with rubber embedded in it to hold the laminated sheets).

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #3068 on: 21 February, 2011, 09:44:56 am »
and make a routesheet holder (my current audax bike has one custom moulded from Polymorph to fit the stem, with a bulldog clip lined with rubber embedded in it to hold the laminated sheets).

Ooh. Pics please. How is the polymorph block held onto the stem?
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #3069 on: 21 February, 2011, 10:47:56 am »
I'll take a pic later. Imaging a roughly desert-spoon shaped piece of polymorph, placed on the stem so the "handle" runs down the stem, and the inverted bowl of the spoon cups the bar clamp area of the stem. The clip is embedded in the bowl part, with a piece of inner tube glued inside, so it grips the laminated route sheet well. The routesheet then sits straight on top of the stem.
The "handle" part is actually quite wide, and curves slightly around the stem. Being moulded, it nestles perfectly in place. Then two cable ties are put around the handle and stem clamp it down.
There is no backboard for the sheets - laminated A4 folded into quarters to read on the bike is quite stiff enough, and means I don't have to take the holder off when I'm not audaxing as it doesn't get in the way.

GrahamG

• Babies bugger bicycling
« Reply #3070 on: 21 February, 2011, 11:35:10 am »
I've got some route sheet holder fettling to do too.

This weekend was a typical nightmare fettling session. Have downgraded my 10 speed drivetrain to 8 speed (campag shifters and shimano rear end) to take the JTek shiftmate out of the cable run which was just too exposed to crap and grime for winter use. Lubed my spangly clean chain with my newly aquired bottle of ChainL No5 and noted odometer distance as it claims 1000 miles between applications.

Then noticed that two spokes had popped in my back wheel. Hang on, no, not spokes, but nipples sheared off in the rim eyelets as the spokes were obviously just too short for comfort. Took at least 45 minutes to stick new nipples in and true it up. Then ordered the correct size spokes from Spa so now have yet another wheel to build up.

Finally got around to fitting my new Selle Anatomica saddle and still trying to get the position just right but I won't pass comment on that until it's at least done a couple of 200+ audaxes.
Brummie in exile (may it forever be so)

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #3071 on: 21 February, 2011, 11:38:43 am »
I too need to sort my bike in readiness for this weekend's audax,particularly something to hold a routesheet.
I am considering a waterproof bag on a neck loop or someway to wear it on my forearm

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #3072 on: 21 February, 2011, 11:48:52 am »
Another server cabinet with my cooltool.  :thumbsup:
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #3073 on: 21 February, 2011, 06:03:13 pm »
Feline's new Sabbath!  It is LOVELY. 

Prepare to drool when she posts the piccies later..

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #3074 on: 21 February, 2011, 06:08:56 pm »
Bar bag brackets.
Who'dathunk that something so simple could be so bloody infuriating ... and I've got another 4 bikes to do  ::-)