Author Topic: Worth getting the flu jab?  (Read 4559 times)

velosam

• '.....you used to be an apple on a stick.'
Worth getting the flu jab?
« on: 16 October, 2022, 10:02:02 pm »
After much though I decided to get the covid jab.  However I am uncertain if its worth getting the flu jab, any thoughts?  My reason is because I think it's guesswork as to the variant, so what's the point?

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: Worth getting the flu jab?
« Reply #1 on: 16 October, 2022, 10:28:49 pm »
Variants. Who knows, but if it is the wrong variant nothing has been lost. If the right one…

I could be wrong, I could be right.

This has been a Public Image broadcast.
It is simpler than it looks.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #2 on: 16 October, 2022, 10:32:57 pm »
Can’t see a downside to the flu jab, other than a risk of feeling crap for a day. I just got double-jabbed late this afternoon, so who can tell whether the potential crapness will be from the C19 jab, flu jab or from both.

Hopefully I can work ok tomorrow because I am about to push back on the redeye to another country.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3 on: 16 October, 2022, 10:33:44 pm »
Being protected against half the variants of a circulating bug is better than being protected against none of them.
I have had both my Covid booster and my flu jab.

I'm also wearing a mask whenever I'm near non-household other humans and reducing my mixing.

« Reply #4 on: 16 October, 2022, 10:42:43 pm »
I've never had the flu jab because I didn't want to pay for it when I've never had flu to my knowledge. Now however  an asthma diagnosis recently means NHS has invited me to have it, bloody persistent with their texting about it too! Think I'll give it a go.

velosam

« Reply #5 on: 17 October, 2022, 09:45:30 am »
well booked for Thursday, hopefully get the covid jab as well at the same time

« Reply #6 on: 17 October, 2022, 09:49:11 am »
Got the flu jab last week, getting a covid booster this Friday.  I can't see any significant risk in either, both have potential benefits.
Sunshine approaching from the South.

First time in 1,000 years.

ian

« Reply #7 on: 17 October, 2022, 10:18:49 am »
If you'd had flu, you'd get the jab, it can very awful.

They do a lot of work to establish the most likely variants in circulation – it's not guesswork – even if they are off, the vaccination still offers some protection against more severe symptoms.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #8 on: 17 October, 2022, 11:21:05 am »
I’m supposedly eligible to get an nhs flu jab this year for age-related reasons but haven’t had the offer yet. I shall definitely be taking them up on it as soon as it comes through - it’s a no-brainier for me.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #9 on: 17 October, 2022, 11:36:28 am »
I got mine last week. I walked into the local pharmacy and asked if they were doing them. They said yes and would I like it now. So I did. I've had one every year for about a dozen years now. I've had flu 3 times before I started with the jabs and I really don't want it again. It's nasty.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

ian

« Reply #10 on: 17 October, 2022, 01:32:08 pm »
I’m supposedly eligible to get an nhs flu jab this year for age-related reasons but haven’t had the offer yet. I shall definitely be taking them up on it as soon as it comes through - it’s a no-brainier for me.

I'm now also in the category but I'm not sure what is happening (with flu or covid jabs to be honest). The work freebie vouchers are already available, but I didn't want to take one unnecessarily (though they're not really limited, as far as I know). Last year I got the covid and flu shots at the same time, which was convenient.

I think I'm supposed to get a text from the GP surgery but, erm, well, they're generally aspiring towards the midpoint of useless.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #11 on: 17 October, 2022, 01:44:52 pm »
After much though I decided to get the covid jab.  However I am uncertain if its worth getting the flu jab, any thoughts?  My reason is because I think it's guesswork as to the variant, so what's the point?

Yes it is worth getting the 'flu jab.   The jab is based on what is/has been circulating in the preceding months elsewhere in the world (other countries have their 'flu seasons before us).

As with most vaccines, this isn't about stopping you getting 'flu but reducing the health impacts if you do.

It's going to be a rough 'flu season this year - expect more hospitalisations and deaths that in previous years.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #12 on: 17 October, 2022, 03:35:35 pm »

That.  Before I started getting the jab I had several utterly vile doses, the worst of which kept me shaking in bed for around 3 days and away from work for a week.  It can hit you suddenly, too: I once set out to the office feeling OK and was cold & trembling by the time I got there, ~30 min drive.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #13 on: 17 October, 2022, 03:53:43 pm »
A bout of flu can wipe out 4-6 weeks of training;) I’m about to ring my local pharmacy to add it to this morning’s Covid viva lent shot. I’m over 50:(

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #14 on: 17 October, 2022, 06:55:10 pm »

They do a lot of work to establish the most likely variants in circulation – it's not guesswork – even if they are off, the vaccination still offers some protection against more severe symptoms.

^^^ This
I've had it or something very similar twice possibly 3 times
I've still got issues from the 3rd time, 10 years ago, i've had the jag most years since cos my employer decided all staff can get it not just frontline, believe the only board to make that decision.

that time i rode to work feelnig normal, by the time i was up at blood transfusion around midday i thought "hud on this isn't allergies and over warm building issues", rode home after work and went straigh to bed, hardly getting out of it for a week, then incapable of working for another week due to needing lots of sleep and running out of energy quick, didn't recover to something normalish for another month, like getting my voice back.

and that's still considered mild...

according to the infosheet
h1n1-wisconsin
h3n2-darwin
b2021-austria
b2013-phuket

velosam

« Reply #15 on: 19 October, 2022, 04:45:26 pm »
Well had both today, let's see how I far.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #16 on: 28 October, 2022, 05:32:13 pm »

Yes it is worth getting the 'flu jab.   The jab is based on what is/has been circulating in the preceding months elsewhere in the world (other countries have their 'flu seasons before us).

The main provider of the flu jab is an Australian based company.
Eddington Numbers 131 (imperial), 185 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #17 on: 28 October, 2022, 05:54:07 pm »
I think I had flu once, about 45 years ago.  This year, I keep on getting texts from both my GP surgery and pharmacy, almost begging me to please go and get the flu jab. 

Suppose I'd better do as I'm told.  :P
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #18 on: 28 October, 2022, 05:57:46 pm »
My answer is, I hope so 'cos I've just had one  :) The first flu jab I've ever had.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #19 on: 28 October, 2022, 07:02:43 pm »
Have anything that's going is my mantra* - I've had flu jabs for probably the last 15 years, as well as jabs for shingles (that's age related apparently) - and 5 Covids so far.

Minor effects just from the 3rd Covid - and no issues with any of the flu jabs that I can recall save for a slight pain in the arm for a day or so.

* I've been old enough for any of jabs for some time.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #20 on: 28 October, 2022, 07:33:59 pm »
I think they offer shingles vaccine to 70-79 year olds.
Tough luck if you're a day over 80!

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #21 on: 28 October, 2022, 07:40:13 pm »

Never been offered that.  Is that just Ingerlandshire?
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #22 on: 28 October, 2022, 08:18:25 pm »
Never been offered that.  Is that just Ingerlandshire?

Possibly. I don't know.
NHS website might inform, or Mr Google.

[ETA] Gov.uk states 'applies to England' about routine shingles vax but Public Health Wales states that it is routinely offered to 70-79 year olds. Haven't checked Barbarians. https://phw.nhs.wales/topics/immunisation-and-vaccines/shingles-and-shingles-immunisation/

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #23 on: 28 October, 2022, 08:57:53 pm »

. . .  that gave the game away then ;D

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #24 on: 31 December, 2022, 08:22:44 pm »
Based on how I feel right now, I’d say the flu jab was a waste of time.  :'(
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.