Author Topic: Audax Repair kit  (Read 6404 times)

Re: Audax Repair kit
« Reply #25 on: 24 October, 2022, 01:14:48 pm »
With a targeted toolkit like that I'd say bulk is a bigger enemy than weight.
On that note, those tubes look bulkier than necessary.  If carrying two, you could also consider having the spare spare a size down.

« Reply #26 on: 24 October, 2022, 01:15:10 pm »
Use the lightest inner tubes.
Cut off the open ended half of the spanner. Or convert to quick release.
Use individual allen keys or spanners, not a multitool.
Leave out chain tools and bits, use a good condition chain instead.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #27 on: 24 October, 2022, 01:19:13 pm »
I wouldn't normally carry chain lube on an audax ride but other than that, there's nothing obvious I'd leave out.

*Always be prepared to help other riders.

A noble sentiment but expecting the OP to carry spares he wouldn't need himself is taking that principle too far.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #28 on: 24 October, 2022, 01:24:40 pm »
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #29 on: 24 October, 2022, 01:33:54 pm »
That's more or less what I carry, though it's a 6" adjustable spanner rather than a 15mm (I don't usually need it for axle nuts, but it sees about as much action as my pump because nobody carries a real spanner).

Possible additions:

Tyre boot
Presta to Schrader valve adaptor (for borrowing muggle pumps in case of pump failure)
Cleat bolt
Misc nuts and bolts
Lockring tool / NBT2 (probably of limited use on a fixie?)
Fiberfix spoke (if you've got low spoke count wheels, otherwise more of a touring thing)
Small screwdriver for fixing your glasses (if you wear glasses)
Head torch
More cable ties (particularly ones small enough to fit your bike computer/sensor mounts, and large releasable ones)
Batteries
First aid things

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #30 on: 24 October, 2022, 01:41:18 pm »

If you want to make things lighter. Try getting a lighter weight spanner.

https://www.fine-tools.com/lightool-spanners.html

I have a couple of these in my toolset. Recommend!

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #31 on: 24 October, 2022, 01:52:58 pm »
I carry breakdown insurance that costs about £14 a year. And I don't bother carrying all those things that might get used once every two decades.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #32 on: 24 October, 2022, 01:55:10 pm »
I carry breakdown insurance that costs about £14 a year. And I don't bother carrying all those things that might get used once every two decades.

Surely that depends where you are, and how far from civilisation you go. Also is does it work multi country?

J
--

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #33 on: 24 October, 2022, 01:57:24 pm »
Polymer banknotes can function as tyre boots, weigh little and have multiple other uses...

« Reply #34 on: 24 October, 2022, 01:59:46 pm »
I wouldn't normally carry chain lube on an audax ride but other than that, there's nothing obvious I'd leave out.

Multi-day or Welsh audaxes.

« Reply #35 on: 24 October, 2022, 02:14:35 pm »
Chain lube in your toolkit is for when you forget to lube it the night before and the squeaking is driving you mad.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #36 on: 24 October, 2022, 02:16:13 pm »
Chain lube in your toolkit is for when you forget to lube it the night before and the squeaking is driving you mad.

Or day 1 pissed it down and washed all the lube out your chain...

J
--

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #37 on: 24 October, 2022, 02:16:58 pm »

Or for your companion whose high frequency hearing isn't what it used to be...

(The only time I've actually used chain lube on a ride was after accidentally bringing galvanised brake cables to Wales.  Haven't made that mistake again.)

« Reply #38 on: 24 October, 2022, 02:22:00 pm »
Having clumsy arthritic hands, most of my tools have a bit of red tape or paint on them, so they are easier to find when I drop them...

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #39 on: 24 October, 2022, 02:24:20 pm »
Having clumsy arthritic hands, most of my tools have a bit of red tape or paint on them, so they are easier to find when I drop them...

Mine have strips of reflective tape on them. So when you've done the repair. You can run a torch over the area where you've been working to make sure you picked up all the tools.

Learnt that the hardway. Also why I carry 4 tyre levers. Having had them go ping into the undergrowth never to be seen again.

J
--

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #40 on: 24 October, 2022, 02:41:34 pm »

Yes, I can see there are cases where carrying lube might be worthwhile but it's not a standard part of my kit.

I'm only speaking for myself, not making a comment on what others should or shouldn't carry in their kit. I don't do many multi-day and/or Welsh audaxes.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #41 on: 24 October, 2022, 02:53:30 pm »

I used a brand new bike for a 200k and the chain was squeaking like a nest of mice by the end.

Bought some WD40 from a garage to save my sanity and used proper lube after returning home.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #42 on: 24 October, 2022, 02:55:35 pm »

Not just me then?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #43 on: 24 October, 2022, 02:59:53 pm »

Suggest you put a little reflective tape on them so you can retrieve them, spotted with a head torch, when dropped at night.

Tyre levers have a habit of self-ejection…

[ETA cross-posted with WG]

« Reply #44 on: 24 October, 2022, 03:00:15 pm »

Surely that depends where you are, and how far from civilisation you go.

Why? How do you think car breakdown works?  Same setup. They pick you up and take you to a transport hub or hotel. Never needed it, thus far.  I've never had a serious breakdown on a long ride bar a spoke break near the start of a 300k, but that was game over regardless.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #45 on: 24 October, 2022, 03:00:58 pm »

I used a brand new bike for a 200k and the chain was squeaking like a nest of mice by the end.

Bought some WD40 from a garage to save my sanity and used proper lube after returning home.

Given that some lubes and some people recommend relubing after 100km a 200k ride would need at least one application. If that was followed. Personally I use Chain-l lube and have got a max of 1300km between lube applications m tho more usually it's 800, tho usually more due to rain than anything else.

J
--

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #46 on: 24 October, 2022, 03:06:05 pm »

Why? How do you think car breakdown works?  Same setup. They pick you up and take you to a transport hub or hotel. Never needed it, thus far.  I've never had a serious breakdown on a long ride bar a spoke break near the start of a 300k, but that was game over regardless.

Bike brake down is very different from ANWB or ADAC.

No least cos you don't have a warm dry place to shelter. So you might get very cold waiting. I've rebuilt my brakes at about 2000 on Xmas day in Germany. I dread to think how long it would take a breakdown recovery person to get out to me in those conditions. Not to mention the question of where they take you to?

Personally I try to carry enough to cover all bar the most severe of breakages. BB failure, taco'd wheel, snapped frame are pretty much all I dont carry tools/spares for.

I also tend to do things like Ruska where it's 1000km between bike shops. So there a certain need for self reliance.

I would never recommend relying solely on breakdown cover to get you out of a mechanical.

But. It's all individual choice. Your threat model is not my threat model etc...

J

--

« Reply #47 on: 24 October, 2022, 03:13:08 pm »
The other problem with trying on insurance is that you have to abandon the ride. Seems daft to do that for want of a chain tool or a tyre boot or whatever it is you’ve deemed too heavy to carry.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #48 on: 24 October, 2022, 03:14:47 pm »
If I were badly in need of, say, a chain tool, I'd consider freezing my arse off for a bit and then being deposited at a railway station a poor substitute.

That said, you can't toolkit your way out of knee failure or severe crash damage...

ETA: Crosspost with grams.

« Reply #49 on: 24 October, 2022, 03:17:13 pm »
Well, I've been riding for 40 years and have yet to experience anything that would lead me to carry the kitchen sink, certainly for your average UK audax.

Good point about not having shelter, but then roadside repairs can also be quite taxing in the cold and when you are tired.

Yes, each to their own. When all is said and done the possibility of a £100 taxi fare doesn't phase me that much when set against all the things I spend £100 on without so much as a thought

The other problem with trying on insurance is that you have to abandon the ride. Seems daft to do that for want of a chain tool or a tyre boot or whatever it is you’ve deemed too heavy to carry.

It depends on how much you value the ride, I suppose. At the moment I'm not riding much, but I did used to, and the more events I rode the less of an 'event' each one seemed. I'd add that I would weigh the thought of an abandon against carrying a chain tool on that ride, I'd weigh it against carrying every tool I'm never going to use on every single ride, if that makes sense to you. I prefer to maintain my bike really well at home, replace parts before they fail, and not get stressed about breakdowns on the ride or carrying tools for every eventuality.

I've had a chain break once in 40 years...and in truth I could have avoided it if I'd paid attention to a slight click and mis-shift that had been happening for the preceeding few days.