Author Topic: Alternatives to Twatter  (Read 19983 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Alternatives to Twatter
« Reply #150 on: 03 March, 2023, 07:48:00 pm »
My problem with Mastodon is that you follow someone because their toots are interesting, only to find that they are an industrial booster, causing my timeline to completely fill with re-toots that don't interest me and just endless tedious virtue signalling. 

For that scenario, you can hide boosts on a per-user basis.

I think it's still badly in need of some sort of option for only showing you the same boosted toot once.  And keeping track of where you last got to in the timeline.

« Reply #151 on: 21 March, 2023, 03:20:37 am »

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #152 on: 21 March, 2023, 08:19:14 am »
Musk's shithousery...

"the email account for the Twitter press office now automatically sends out poo emojis in response to requests"

Wtf.

In other news, mastodon has passed 10000000 users...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #153 on: 21 March, 2023, 10:12:56 am »
One thing that you can say for Musk and that is that he appears to have no sense of shame, morality, decency or integrity when it comes to social media super twattery.

Just my opinion though.  I am sure that many love him or at least they do until Musk's mutants turn their gaze their way ...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #154 on: 21 March, 2023, 10:13:44 am »

J
couldyoupleaseputsomepunctuationinthatsowecantellataglancewhetheritsahundredthousandamilliontenmillionorwhateverokaythanks
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #155 on: 21 March, 2023, 05:24:05 pm »

J
couldyoupleaseputsomepunctuationinthatsowecantellataglancewhetheritsahundredthousandamilliontenmillionorwhateverokaythanks

There's 7 zeros.

J
--

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #156 on: 21 March, 2023, 06:02:27 pm »
This is what metric prefixes are for.  10M.  Easily understood without any of those ambiguous dots and commas.

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #157 on: 21 March, 2023, 06:26:20 pm »
It's 100 lakhs (my Indian colleagues have been training me!)

« Reply #158 on: 24 March, 2023, 02:40:25 pm »
As Mastodon.lol is closing down, doe anyone have recommendations for another server ?  Leftish, with a decent userbase.  Ideally something that's not reliant upon a single person who's likely to shut it down when they get peeved. 
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #159 on: 24 March, 2023, 06:08:55 pm »
YACF  :demon: ;)
the slower you go the more you see

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #160 on: 24 March, 2023, 07:11:09 pm »
It's 100 lakhs (my Indian colleagues have been training me!)
Thank you! So it's 1 crore.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #161 on: 24 March, 2023, 07:16:45 pm »

J

There's 7 zeros.

J
or maybe
(not vitally important IMO where you put the commas, or whether you use commas or dots, just as long as there's something to break up the row)

Captain Nemo

• Defence de profundis
« Reply #162 on: 24 March, 2023, 09:07:06 pm »

Vitally Important!

If you must use a physical delimiter use a comma. Otherwise things get messy once you have a decimal point in there.

When I did big engineering sums back in the day (limited time on the company's IBM main-frame and Dog forbid you sought permission to apply for authority to book time on the UMIST brain...) and had to write it all down manually, a space every three was the norm (so that even the French could understand it, since they insist on using a comma as a decimal point).

Though I much prefer standard mathmatical notation (10^7). You don't even have to count the number of zeros or give it a name.

I have often wondered why we have to work numbers arse about face?
Reading from the right:
Units, Tens, Hundreds, Thousands, Ten Thousands, Hundred Thousands, Millions (modern uasage), Ten Millions, Hundred Millions, etc.
I can only surmise that since our numbers are derived from Arabic numerals - and they read from right to left.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #163 on: 24 March, 2023, 09:35:55 pm »
Shirley big-endian makes sense as we read the most significant digits first?

"Two hundred and thirty four" makes more sense than "four, thirty and two hundred" in most contexts, as it naturally emphasises the hundreds.

The exception if of course dates, where BRITONS are traditionally little-endian and USAnians are middle-endian, presumably because the written form is derived from the spoken form.  ISO dates spare us from this nonsense by making dates work like other big-endian numbers.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #164 on: 24 March, 2023, 10:02:01 pm »
Yeah, presumably numbers are written big-endian because that reflects the way we say them.

As for commas and dots, it doesn't matter does it? Because it's customary in traditions that use dots, to use a decimal comma (and vice versa). Thought there might be some that dots and decimal points.
Or
Not sure about British dates being little-endian though. Historically they were also often middle-endian, in writing as in speech. With the month written as a word, it doesn't matter. Today is Friday, March 24th, 2023. Or 24th March 2023. Or even 24 Mar. 2023 or 24-III-2023. III-24-2023 would work but I've never seen it.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #165 on: 24 March, 2023, 11:19:53 pm »
Yeah, presumably numbers are written big-endian because that reflects the way we say them.

As for commas and dots, it doesn't matter does it? Because it's customary in traditions that use dots, to use a decimal comma (and vice versa). Thought there might be some that dots and decimal points.
Or
Not sure about British dates being little-endian though. Historically they were also often middle-endian, in writing as in speech. With the month written as a word, it doesn't matter. Today is Friday, March 24th, 2023. Or 24th March 2023. Or even 24 Mar. 2023 or 24-III-2023. III-24-2023 would work but I've never seen it.

One of these is written in the continental style, one of them is written correctly.

Which is which ?

The , Vs . Thing can trip a lot up. A friend put in a meter reading do 50,25 of gas on their Belgian supplier's website. Which filtered out the , And billed the for 5025. A 100x greater than used bill...

The time sheet system at work requires house logged in the form 4,25 for a four hour and 15 mins worked. Not awake one day I typed in 4.00. the system ignored the . And decided I'd worked a 400 hour shift in a single 24 HR period... Which was fun to explain to the boss...

I wish this was standardised.

J
--

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #166 on: 25 March, 2023, 07:01:00 am »
I have problems the whole time with spreadsheets at work which I then work on at home. Presumably to do with language/regional settings, but some tabs can have a decimal point and others a decimal comma. The spreadsheets I submit with my tax return are like this - fortunately the Finanzamt seem to cope with it.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #167 on: 25 March, 2023, 11:07:07 am »

One of these is written in the continental style, one of them is written correctly.

Which is which ?
!!!!

Let this forever be remembered as the occasion QG said something Continental might not be as good as the British equivalent!!!

ian

« Reply #168 on: 25 March, 2023, 11:24:51 am »
For bonus points, in Tobleronia it’s 1’000’000.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #169 on: 25 March, 2023, 04:28:07 pm »
For bonus points, in Tobleronia it’s 1’000’000.
Some calculators use that too. Maybe they're as supplied to Credit Suisse.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #170 on: 29 May, 2023, 11:45:09 pm »

Well that's a first. Seems that something I said on Mastodon attracted the attention of some fascists, one suggesting killing leftist people. The second sent me a deep fake video of biden with a TERF rant.

Have blocked both instances, and my instance admin has done the same. First time we've had to dk this.

J
--

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #171 on: 03 July, 2023, 03:26:29 pm »
Anyone got a invite code for Bluesky?
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #172 on: 03 July, 2023, 08:05:16 pm »

Which is which ?
!!!!

Let this forever be remembered as the occasion QG said something Continental might not be as good as the British equivalent!!!

Working in world shipping when many documents were still hand written it was vital to get numbers right. I soon learnt the what was which and vice versa.  Context was crucial. No computers for ages and the first ones worked off floppy discs. Did I tell you about the time I met Charles Dickens?
Sheldon Brown never said leave it to the professionals.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #173 on: 03 July, 2023, 08:27:44 pm »
Was he in the tavern with Matthew Hopkins, Jacob Rees-Mogg and Thomas Tallis?
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #174 on: 06 July, 2023, 08:29:22 am »
presumably because the written form is derived from the spoken form

As in "Remember, remember, November 5th"?
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."